Neighbour complaining about my cat

lfurze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today my neighbour from across the street came to my door complaining about my cat. He said that he and his wife have let it go for months and that my cat is traumatising his. He told me his cat used to love going outdoors but my cat has seemed to claim his garden as his territory and watches his cat at the window, scaring his cat from coming out. He then said that his cat was out today and his wife heard cats fighting outside, she looked out and the 2 cats were fighting ( apparently my cat got the better of theirs and left chunks of fur lying in the back garden.) I apologised and got my cat inside but he has also been leaving bits of fur lying around the house. I don't know what to do now to stop this happening again and keeping my cat indoors is just not an option. Thanks for your help.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there and welcome,is your cat neutered? If he isn't I recommend this as it could stop the alpha male thing going on with him.x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lfurze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes he's neutered, have never known him to be like this before, we have moved around quite a lot and if anything he was the one coming in with cuts and bits etc. I think because he's such a big cat they assume he's the one doing all the attacking. I just feel like if you're letting your cat outdoors you need to deal with what happens as there is no way you can follow them around.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah really they can't complain too much,they should keep their cat indoors if they are that bothered. Maybe this cat has picked on your cat one too many times and he has just decided enough is enough and getting his own back. I know a lot of people on here will say to you keep your cat indoors but everyone has their own choice and is different and if your neighbours feel that their cat is not safe then they will have to keep their cat indoors.x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lfurze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Ruthyb for your help.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In the US, if your animal leaves your yard without you having his leash in your hand, he is subject to pickup by Animal Control.  That may sound harsh, but if you lived by that principle, you wouldn't have a problem right now with your neighbor.

I would suggest keeping him indoors, for his health, your peace, and your neighbor's cat's peace.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the US, if your animal leaves your yard without you having his leash in your hand, he is subject to pickup by Animal Control.  That may sound harsh, but if you lived by that principle, you wouldn't have a problem right now with your neighbor.

I would suggest keeping him indoors, for his health, your peace, and your neighbor's cat's peace.
True, your neighbors may get mad and resent him being in their yard as well and call animal control next time.  I would suggest an enclosure if you have the means to make one and you absolutely cannot have your cat indoors.  If not, your neighbors may decide next time that you don't care about your animal and it's best for you to be rid of him.  Or, even worse, like my neighbors- they'll shoot him!  It's their yard.  They have the right to keep nuisances off. 

sevenwonders

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of people are your neighbors? Might they call Animal Control or sue you or harm (or poison) your cat?

Even if you think you know them now, they might do something you wouldn't expect if they feel that your cat remains a threat to their Baby.

If I were in your situation, and if I felt that my cat must be able to go outside, I would build an enclosure - your cat will be much safer that way,

even without considering the situation with the neighbors.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree...build your cat an outside enclosure.  There are even pre made ones you can buy.  Search online.

The neighbors cat may very well stay on their property, but now is scared to go out.  It is your responsibility to keep your cat on your own land.  There are sometimes feral cats that pass by our cats windows.  They cannot get to him, so they turn on eachother.  I don't need anymore vet bills with them beating eachother up.  The same thing could happen with your neighbors.  If they have no other cats, sometimes cats will turn on their owners too.  So you see, there are many things that can be triggred in a cats mind.  If that was happening to me, I would be upset too.

For your cats well being and the neighbors concerns, please keep your kitty home.  A properly put up enclosure will no doubt solve the problem.

termite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not true your cat has to have a leash. It depends on the bylaws of your town. Our town says "no animal may roam free EXCEPT for cats". You let your cats out at risk of other cats, wild life like coyotes and fisher cats, Cars, dangerous children (a kid just out of kid's jail killed my cat), dogs off of leashes, feline luekemia and so on.
If your neighbors get a water pistol they can squirt your cat if it comes in their yard. Your cat will get the message and avoid their property.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi @termite, and welcome to TCS!

This thread is a couple of years old and may not be seen by the member who posted about it.

Would you like to come and introduce yourself in our New Cats on the Block forum?