Neighbor's Cat Want To Move Into My Mother's House

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a strange one.

A little backstory: I live next door to my elderly mother so I can look out for her. It's a pretty safe neighborhood for cats, all things considered. A neighbor two-doors down has a long-haired female cat that likes to roam outdoors, and for years, that cat has been extremely unfriendly to me, despite all my cat-whisperer skills. If I tried to pet her, I'd get scratched. I eventually learned to leave well enough alone.

A few weeks ago, this cat started acting strangely friendly -- letting me pet her and hanging out on my mother's porch. She seemed thin and was begging for food, so we started feeding her when she asked. She even acted like she wanted to come in my mother's house. Finally, the cat was there so much that I called our neighbors to try to figure out what was going on. I told them it wasn't a problem because we liked cats, but we didn't know if she was being driven from her food at home or something like that.

The wife of the couple she belongs to came to pick her up yesterday, and as she carried her down my mother's driveway, the cat attacked her, scratched her badly, and returned to my mother's porch. Later, the husband came and picked her up. I assume he got her home. According to them, they have no new pets and haven't made any household changes.

This cat could stay in her owners' very nice, very large house, but she's sleeping on my mother's porch in January. The only clue we have is that they have another female cat and the two of them don't get along. Still, it's a big house...

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats can be weird when outside and run from or attack humans they love. An older cat might also have health issues that make it act out of character.

Out there idea. Since she is am indoor/outdoor neighborhood cat maybe she sees your Mom as part of her extended family and wants to be with her. Does your mother like the cat? Does your mother have other pets? No telling whats going on. Would the neighbors be willing to let the cat "keep you mother company"? Play up the "lonely old lady" angle.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Something is going on in that home, and it would appear it is not good from the cat's perspective. Especially since she is thin. She could be sick, she could be abused, or both - or none of them. But, there is definitely some reason why this cat would prefer your mother's cold porch over a nice home. I am willing to bet this cat isn't inside her own home much - maybe not at all. Can you and your mother kind of 'spy' on the comings and goings of this cat and see if you can tell how much she is around vs. when she is not? How about other neighbors, do they know anything??

You didn't really say what kind of reaction you got from the neighbors, but I am willing to guess it was not very informative, and probably 'at an arms-length'. They might just be dragging the cat away, figuring the cat is bothering you and your mother - regardless of what you told them.

As Hellenww Hellenww said - play up your elderly mother who 'just loves the cat' and would like to have her visit. See where it gets you. If she continues to stay more and more at your mother's house - don't discourage it. Worst case scenario, you might have to end up stealing the cat - but, given the neighbors you probably couldn't keep it. At least you could turn it over to a no-kill shelter for adoption. I hate to suggest such a thing, but if things continue to get worse for this cat, it might be the way to go.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
If the cat is thin and begging for food, it clearly isn’t getting what it needs at its own home. I would keep welcoming and feeding the cat and not doing anything else unless the owners come looking for it.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just to offer a counter point.

My crew is indoor/outdoor. My neighbor, who recently passed had a bird bath and would put out food for cats when they came around. Guess whose happy little butt decided to eat the food? My well fed crew. Note, Fury in particular is a skinny cat. He naturally is thinner and even though he is non stop eating and weighs 9 pounds he is skinny. Rocket is seasonally skinny, to the point that my vet wanted me to fatten her up last summer but she just gets skinny in the summer without any diet change.

It had nothing to do with being hungry and everything to do with food being out. They learned that she would feed them and so they went there.

We talked, because my guys have poultry problems, and she agreed to not feed them. I also asked her not to let them in her house because I didn't want someone damaging her furniture or getting locked in. My guys come in at night and I would worry non stop if they didn't come when called. I gave her some treats they could have for when she wanted to treat them and they enjoyed visiting her. She'd send me photos of Link lounging on her outdoor furniture or trying to hide (unsuccessfully) from birds using the bird bath. Rocket sometimes showed up in the photos hiding behind Link.

None of my cats are mistreated, sad, lonely or ignored (I have a cat on me and one staring at me from across the room as I type this). My parents are retired and someone is home nearly all day. My Mom is active in the yard most days. We have trees, bushes and even a bunny buddy in our yard. They love our yard. But Link and Rocket also loved visiting our neighbor. It could be pouring outside and Link might be in our house or on her porch. It could be a windy 50 degree day and Rocket could be stalking lizards in our yard or hers. The cats aren't picky as they see both as theirs.

As to carrying, 90% of the time if I pick up one of the cats outside they protest. They are on alert outside and being off the ground limits their escape options. While none of mine have ever scratched me to get away (unless startled) they aren't happy. Even if they were at the neighbors house I could call and they'd follow me home (most of the time, sometimes link is a stubborn child). So it is a little concerning that she scratched the woman but trying to get out of arms isnt.

Of course, if the cats is skinny and in poor condition, there could be something going on. But I don't think a cat deciding to claim a porch and a person indicates any mistreatment or problem at home.

If the neighbor is okay with feeding the cat, go ahead and keep feeding. But I wouldn't do anything else unless there is a clear sign of mistreatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

david68

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My mother likes cats, but she has her own cat, another female cat that does not like to share her house with other cats. They will sort of tolerate each other outside, but just barely.

In terms of feeding, the visiting cat is long-haired, but she felt bony to me under her fur -- and I deal with lots of cats. She definitely looked and felt better as a result of getting more food. She would eat a lot when fed.

We've known these neighbors for years, and I think the wife of the couple who owns her is genuinely perplexed as to why her cat doesn't want to live in their yard or their house. They have a big porch and deck. There are new neighbors between my mother and their house. They have two dogs, but the dogs are in a fenced area and are cat-friendly. They also have a cat that I've seen outside on a couple of occasions.