Neighbor's cat trapped in my house

rstewart1884

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My family always has the door open for our cats to go I and out, but one of the neighbor's cats has gotten in. He's in a room in the basement, hiding in the ceiling (yes, IN the ceiling). I'm guessing he's been there for 2-3 days because that's how long the urine smell's been present, but just discovered today, so I've put food, water and a litter box down there. I've seen this cat in the neighborhood before and he's very shy, always runs away from me. Does anyone know any methods to trap him in a cat carrier so I can return him to his owners or let him outside? I need to get him out asap, he's causing the floor of the ceiling to collapse.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Do you think the cat can get down from the ceiling himself? Does it look like he is trapped up there?

If he can get down into the basement by himself the best way to trap him is with a humane trap. You can borrow these from groups that do TNR or vets that treat feral cats.

Once you get him please take him to the vet rather than letting him go. If he has been without food and water for a few days he might need medical help. If he is someones pet he might be chipped, which means you can return him to his family. If he is a stray then he will need more help. At the very least he should be neutered before being released, so he doesn't add to the feral cat population.

I recommend getting in touch with some TNR groups in your area, they'll be able to help you.

Good luck, please keep us posted.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you know which neighbor he belongs to?  If not, I'd walk around and put some flyers on people's front doors.  If anyone responds, then maybe they can come over and the cat will respond to the owner's voice.

If not, then a human trap as pictured above is the way to go.  They're pretty inexpensive at places like Tractor Supply, or most shelters will loan you one for a small deposit.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Hate to tell you this but if the cat is stuck in the ceiling you probably will have to cut the ceiling open so it can get out. The cat may have fallen down a wall and be trapped.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rstewart1884

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice! He broke through the floor for us so he's able to get down and my parents left the door open, making it possible for him to run out, so now I'm not sure if he's still in the house or not. I'm testing whether or not he still is by leaving food in the basement and making sure my cats can't get to it. If he is, I'll do as you guys suggest and get a trap tomorrow when I volunteer at the SPCA, and take him to the vet (still don't know who the owners are). Let me know if this is a good course of action or if you have any other advice, I'll update y'all soon.