Neighbors cat had kittens

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well my neighbors cat started labor yesterday morning. She ended up spending the night at my house last night cause my neighbor had something better to do than sit with her pregnant cat and wait for kittens last night.
I actually enjoy the experience so it was no big deal for me. I sat with Momma all night and nothing, and then at five this morning she had kitten number one. She ended up having 5 and they are all still here at my house. I've tried calling to them about the kittens, but I don't think they are home. I know that their daughter the 17 yr old will be home after she gets out of work, and I'm hoping I can get in touch with them then. I'm enjoying the babies, but my sister is quite upset by it, so they need to go back home, unfortunatley. They are just absolutely adorable little babies.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you! It sounds like they are in a much better place with you. Why is your sister upset?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My sister is upset because she doesn't want my neighbor coming over all the time, and if the cat stayed here, my neighbor would be here all the time. Neither one of us have the heart to tell her not to come so often, cause she's alone all summer at home and she's only 17. We know that she is lonely and bored when she comes over and she just wants company, and we're hoping to be a good influence in her life. We're encouraging her to go to college after she graduates and things like that. I'm still trying to get in touch with one of them to let them know their kitty has babies now. I would be dieing of curiousity if I didn't know if my cat had had kittens yet, but I would leave my cat in that state either. I'm glad that Socks is an easy going cat or she may have had a very troubling labor being in a house she'd never been in and with a person she'd only met a couple times. Sorry, I'm still angry about the situation. I have to try and remember that the kittens are healthy and everything went well. I'll post some pics soon.

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are the pics of the new babies. I couldn't get a picture of one of them cause it wasn't cooperating.

Socks- the Momma

three of the babies

Little bit- my fav I think I might keep this one

nath 1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, if I were you, I would not hesitate to tell that girl to stay home as it is bothering you. And would you really want to keep to company to someone or other members of that family who do not even care about their cat who is about to have babies, and let her outside without supervision, so close to delivering the kittens, to the risk of an accident or tragic delivery outside. Fortunately, you were there.

You do not need to befriend people like that or their daughter. There are more people more worth of your attention!

N.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Motherofeight

Well my neighbors cat started labor yesterday morning. She ended up spending the night at my house last night cause my neighbor had something better to do than sit with her pregnant cat and wait for kittens last night.
I actually enjoy the experience so it was no big deal for me. I sat with Momma all night and nothing, and then at five this morning she had kitten number one. She ended up having 5 and they are all still here at my house. I've tried calling to them about the kittens, but I don't think they are home. I know that their daughter the 17 yr old will be home after she gets out of work, and I'm hoping I can get in touch with them then. I'm enjoying the babies, but my sister is quite upset by it, so they need to go back home, unfortunatley. They are just absolutely adorable little babies.
If they do go home...who will ensure that mom cat gets fixed once the kittens are weaned or make sure that she is kept indoors only?

Katie

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a situation update for everyone. Yesterday my neighbor came over because she couldn't find the momma cat and her babies. My sister thought she saw her outside and noone could figure out how that happened, but it was her outside. We looked everywhere for the kittens and eventually found them buried in the room that she had them in. She had them completely covered by mounds of towels and blankets. Well we put them back in the box so they wouldn't suffocate and then I told her I'd come check them cause nobody was going to be home again. Well I came back a couple hours later and again the momma had them buried. This worried me because it wasn't something she was doing over here. I left a note on the front door and brought momma and babies back to my house with my sister's permission. So now momma and babies are doing fine and she is not moving them from the box, she seems very calm and relaxed now, she's feeding them and bathing them so all is good. I don't think my neighbors even know I have her yet cause nobody has been home to see the note. So I will make sure that momma stays inside and away from other males until she gets spayed.

tilly tiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
im glad that momy cat is doin fine and i thought that u shouldnt move mommy cat and kittens from where she had them

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tilly tiger

im glad that momy cat is doin fine and i thought that u shouldnt move mommy cat and kittens from where she had them
Well if is a dangerous, unsafe place or like in this case where the actual owners aren't looking after them properly, then obviously you need to step in and get them out of harms way.

Please keep the mother cat inside with her babies until they are older and she is spayed. Preferably if all the babies are spayed too, it can be done at 2lbs.

motherofeight

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Momma cat and the babies will not be going outside at all while they are here with me as my cats do not go outside. We live in the country, but on a busy street so I prefer to keep them all safe and sound inside.

ms_joshica

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well...I wont say don't be nice. Keep being an influence that is positive in her life, but do not hesitate to continue the stability of your home as order is key. Second, that is very sweet of you for what you are doing and I hope they appreciate what you are doing. Unfortunately, people who don't see the need to do those things usually don't see the need to be grateful for others who do them. If you could play a good role of mama to the cat and her kittens and get her settled and maybe get them to good homes I wouldn't hesitate to go to my neighbor and just ask to take over the care, and finding the good homes, if that is what you want to do to ensure their safety. It truly sounds like mama doesn't trust the environment where she is burrying the babies with towels. It is my experience that they do that for protective reasons when they are scared that danger is around so if she isn't do that with you she trusts you and your environment.