Neighborhood cat

nbaldwin88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A neighborhood cat that I've seen many times and looks very healthy and we'll cared for has adopted my front porch. Today was hot and humid so I wasn't sure if the cat was being friendly, needed something or what. I put out a bowl of water but resisted the urge to feed the poor thing. I don't want to lure the cat away from its people but hate to think it may be hungry. Heade my porch his home for over 8 hours today and was very affectionate (almost pushy about getting my attention). I don't mind him hanging out anytime but also don't want to unintentionally steal him from his people. I just thought that he wouldn't be so affectionate towards a stranger if he weren't in need of something (food, water, shelter etc.)? I would love some input from people that know more about cats than I do about why I suddenly have a new furry friend. Lol

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think he is just a friendly cat. My Ishki goes to my neighbors across the street and hangs out for a while. I don't know if they give her treats but probably they do or she would not be visiting them that often. 
 However, she comes when I call and acts the usual way. Even when I get angry when she misbehaves, she stays put until she is forgiven. I guess she enjoys checking out my neighbors or decided to add their place as part of her territory but I am just guessing. 

But I do suggest you don't feed your visitor. Pets and some water to drink are fine for now which seem to be okay with him anyway. 

wolfrott

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he may just be friendly. If he had a collar, you could add a note to it explaining that he's been hanging out at your place, and you're concerned. You could also get him scanned for a microchip at your expense.

My Luna, a rescue/runaway who showed up one day emaciated and loitered for food, regularly chills out in my neighbours' yards and ignores us when she's grouchy. Wouldn't be surprised if she also cons them into feeding her too!