Neighborhood cat Part 2! Input needed

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right category for this issue/question but here it goes....
There is a cat in our neighborhood, who last year looked like a regular fluffy well fed cat, who would occasionally find a sunny spot on our front porch or driveway (and others) to nap on.

fast forward to 4-5 months ago, this kitty looks Wayyy thinner and has a large fluctuant cyst on his forehead. After a few days of showing up to my house meowing his head off & me feeding him, I posted on our community facebook to see who he belongs to or if he is lost.
I got a reply, she said he is hers and he has kidney issues and I should not feed him at all. I said okay and apologized, I didnt know.

the cat has continuously shown up to my home and begs for food, he also will eat ANYTHING he looks so thin it breaks my heart.

A month or so ago, the woman stopped me outside my house & said to stop feeding him, he has a special food.
I told her I will stop but he looks so hungry.

now its freezing here and the kitty keeps showing up and begging for food- what should i do? Message her on facebook and let her know?
I feel so bad for this cat!

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know a common problem with cats with kidney issues (like kidney failure) tends to be them not wanting to eat enough, which causes weight loss. Maybe since he is on special food you can see if they will give you some to feed him or at least let you know what it is so you can feed him that. That way he can eat when he wants to and no worries about getting the wrong food.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I went back and read your original thread about what I assume to be the same cat. You were advised to report the owner to The Humane Society or Animal Control - and, now you seem to have a very valid reason, as you truly believe he is sick. If not report her, call and ask them for advice from a local perspective - they may have some ideas.

Do you know where she lives? If you want to contact her, I would do it in person rather than through FB. If no one answers the door, you could always take him inside and then use the excuse that you brought him inside to your home since she wasn't home.

Honestly, she doesn't care - or, so it seems. Do you have family or friends that would take him - as in away from your area? You could rescue him and then transfer him to someone you trust. If she comes to see if you have him, you can honestly say "no, I don't". Then, you can kind of only-slightly-dishonestly say, "I saw him earlier, but then he disappeared". After all you did see him, and then he did 'disappear'.

Or, a more honest approach is what amethyst amethyst just suggested. But, when someone lets a cat like that stay outside and now the cat looks sickly, I really think she would not cooperate with you. Maybe I am wrong...

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a stupid question / comment. If I offend anyone I apologize in advance. Please take it as my ignorance - which is why I'm asking. (So as not to be ignorant.)

If you had a sick cat with CKD - or anything for that matter - would you let them outside? I know I wouldn't - but that's me. Wouldn't that be foolish? IMHO that would be a form of neglect but I don't know enough about kidney issues (and thankfully so) to know if it would be foolish to allow them to roam - or if that would be a normal thing to let them do?

Reading this though - I'm in agreement with the others that intervention is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Exactly! I wouldnt let my cat out either.
She is the president of our HOA & has come to my house twice - telling me not to feed him.
He has a collar and a phone number on him.

should I try to message her saying he is continuing to show up at my door & if she could let me know what food he eats?

it seems like this poor boy will eat Anything!!

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi. I went back and read your original thread about what I assume to be the same cat. You were advised to report the owner to The Humane Society or Animal Control - and, now you seem to have a very valid reason, as you truly believe he is sick. If not report her, call and ask them for advice from a local perspective - they may have some ideas.

Do you know where she lives? If you want to contact her, I would do it in person rather than through FB. If no one answers the door, you could always take him inside and then use the excuse that you brought him inside to your home since she wasn't home.

Honestly, she doesn't care - or, so it seems. Do you have family or friends that would take him - as in away from your area? You could rescue him and then transfer him to someone you trust. If she comes to see if you have him, you can honestly say "no, I don't". Then, you can kind of only-slightly-dishonestly say, "I saw him earlier, but then he disappeared". After all you did see him, and then he did 'disappear'.

Or, a more honest approach is what amethyst amethyst just suggested. But, when someone lets a cat like that stay outside and now the cat looks sickly, I really think she would not cooperate with you. Maybe I am wrong...
I live far away from other friends and family.... I dont know anyone who could home him.
I have a kitty myself who needs to be a solo boy & a new kitty would stress him. He has HCM and has very bad anxiety.

Bookish1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right category for this issue/question but here it goes....
There is a cat in our neighborhood, who last year looked like a regular fluffy well fed cat, who would occasionally find a sunny spot on our front porch or driveway (and others) to nap on.

fast forward to 4-5 months ago, this kitty looks Wayyy thinner and has a large fluctuant cyst on his forehead. After a few days of showing up to my house meowing his head off & me feeding him, I posted on our community facebook to see who he belongs to or if he is lost.
I got a reply, she said he is hers and he has kidney issues and I should not feed him at all. I said okay and apologized, I didnt know.

the cat has continuously shown up to my home and begs for food, he also will eat ANYTHING he looks so thin it breaks my heart.

A month or so ago, the woman stopped me outside my house & said to stop feeding him, he has a special food.
I told her I will stop but he looks so hungry.

now its freezing here and the kitty keeps showing up and begging for food- what should i do? Message her on facebook and let her know?
I feel so bad for this cat!
I agree, a cat rescue is indeed in order. She’s neglecting the cat to me, and on line of animal cruelty. I feel bad for the poor thing too. Do you what you need to, to save kitty. 🤗♥

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It seems to me that you are leaning toward messaging her and asking about his food. So, if that is what you are leaning toward, then do it. I still think a face-to-face is better, but you have to do what you feel is in your comfort zone. You can even offer to buy some of his food to keep on hand for him. But, you also need to ask her if he is OK being outside in his condition. And, it wouldn't hurt to show some concerned passion to her about this cyst on his forehead. Maybe she just needs your ear, with no judgment emitting from you, so she can talk to someone about what is going on.

But, you know what? If that doesn't work, and you can't take him, call the Humane Society or Animal Control, and ask for some guidance. If you can get a pic or two of his condition, that would most certainly help.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that you are leaning toward messaging her and asking about his food. So, if that is what you are leaning toward, then do it. I still think a face-to-face is better, but you have to do what you feel is in your comfort zone. You can even offer to buy some of his food to keep on hand for him. But, you also need to ask her if he is OK being outside in his condition. And, it wouldn't hurt to show some concerned passion to her about this cyst on his forehead. Maybe she just needs your ear, with no judgment emitting from you, so she can talk to someone about what is going on.

But, you know what? If that doesn't work, and you can't take him, call the Humane Society or Animal Control, and ask for some guidance. If you can get a pic or two of his condition, that would most certainly help.
Thanks. I did message her and ask her about his food. I tried to be nice and compassionate but she is really making me upset. I did feed him again- I cant let him be hungry.
if she doesnt reply, I will try to call her?I hate confrontation.
Would a humane society take care of him
If he has an owner?
She was quick to say hes hers and hes “well taken care of”.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Would a humane society take care of him
If he has an owner?
Yes.

I would contact them rather than animal control under the circumstances, especially in light of the fact that you are a homeowner and having to move because of bad neighbours could get expensive.

:bighug:

I have confidence in you to make the right decision and help this poor boy as much as you are able. I don't know much about kidney care diets or kidney disease in general, but maybe somebody else who does can give you an idea of what he can safely eat if she is telling the truth. I would assume that kibble is a no-no and that adding as much water to his wet food as he will tolerate can't hurt and might help.

My kitten is on wet food only. You just offer them meals frequently and put the leftovers back in the fridge when they're done. It's totally doable.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys
If she doesnt reply to my message in a few days I will call her & if she act irrationally I will call the humane society

she was not very polite or nice when yelling at me not to feed him.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I should keep feeding him when he appears right? I just have never dealt with this & feel so bad.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know as it might start a neighborhood war. If it was me, I might - but again, not knowing enough about kidney issues I would be hesitant. On the same hand - if kitty is starving - not sure I could allow it either. IF I did, I would make sure it was appropriate food for kitty. Catch 22 situation. I had a feeling you might still fed kitty so I thought I'd post that info just in case.

I love the advice you've been given. XOXO

Let us know how it goes.

amandag1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No reply from the owner. Im on vacation until after Xmas. I think I will call humane society next.
I could also call her?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have tried enough to contact her. If she is so worried about that poor cat's diet she should keep him inside and monitor him. If he is outside and very thin and hungry. obviously she doesn't care enough about his welfare. If you turn her in andshe nastily confronts you, tell her taht teh cat is roaming around the neighborhood looking for comfrot and food, and there are many who could have turned her in. If he 'disappears' (hopefully to a good home) how would she know where she went? She left him out to defend for himself and any number of things could happen. Reminds me of the time I contacted my neighbor numerous times over his cat having litter after litter and bringing those tiny babies over to eat across a dangerous VERY busy road. Several were killed. He said they weren't fed because he wanted them to hunt mice, and they weren't really his, "just outside cats". I spayed the mama and she is sitting in my house right now, one of the family! He has never asked......

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just my two cents worth, but if a cat with chronic kidney disease is outside in all weathers, wandering, and desperately hungry, HE IS NOT BEING TAKEN CARE OF! Just from the outside, if he is that hungry, he will scrounge anything he can find from anywhere, including garbage. This is NOT "well taken care of."

Myself, I'd contact a rescue. I do NOT know if I'd tell them that you know the owner, just that you cannot take him, and are worried about his physical condition.

Lillyenn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So not an expert, but I have 3 cats (one was a stray previously) and I'm feeding some other cats as well. And from experience a cat who is well cared for not going to just turn to "strangers" for food, if they can just go home and eat. Not even if they are friendly. Cats have routines. (for example one of the cats I feed only comes to me for dinner, I don't know where she goes for her other meals.) So if this cat made it a routine to come to you, even though the owner supposedly takes good care of him, then she is lying. Not taking him to a vet if he has a really noticable cyst? Letting him roam hungry, and then getting mad at people for feeding him even though she is the one who is letting him go outside in a bad condition? That's not a good sign. To be fair there could be things that you don't know about, but if you feel like you have given enough opportunities for this so called owner to explain her side, she didn't and you still have a hungry, underweight cat looking for food, then just do what you feel is right. Good luck, and Merry Christmas!