Neglectful Roommate - Any Advice?

BABYPDP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. This is my first post... I joined just to ask for help on this.

Currently, I own an adult cat that I adopted less than a year ago, and he is obsessed with my roommate. When my roommate is at home, he is almost constantly locked up in his room playing video games. He only ever comes out of the room if he's going to or coming from work, needs to use the bathroom, or needs to get himself something to eat.

My roommate will feed the cat in the morning, before he leaves for work, and will feed the cat if he's already outside his room when it's time for the cat's second feeding time. He loves the cat, but never spends any time with him - at most, sitting in the living room instead to play games while he turns on an automatic toy for the cat to play with, and petting him a few times. And that's on a good day.

Every time he leaves his room, and our cat is excited to see him, he makes a remark about how it's not time to eat yet... The cat will sometimes sneak into his room (we actually had to tell him to stop letting the cat in his room because he would accidentally lock the poor thing in all day), and my roommate bringing him back to the living room is the most interaction our cat gets from him.

We have already done our hardest to stop his other bad habits, as I mentioned with locking the cat in his room, as well as telling him to stop excessively feeding the cat treats just for playing with his toys. Personally, the treat-giving is what I expect makes our cat so crazy over him.

It's gotten bad to the point where he has torn up the carpet under my roommate's door, which was brand new when we moved in here. We will be moving soon, so maybe it's just best to wait this out, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? He's really not a high-maintenance cat, and tends to sleep most of the day away. I play with him enough so that he gets bored, but wanting my roommate's attention seems to be incurable for him. I try to distract him with his toys and talking to him if I see him waiting outside my roommate's door, but is there anything else I can do to help my cat be less reliant on my roommate?

Edit: I do feed my cat, but he doesn't usually tell us when he's hungry, so sometimes I'm off by about 20 minutes or so and that's when my roommate might feed him instead if he notices the time. I mentioned that he feeds the cat to add to the fact that our cat most likely associates my roommate with food.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ask your roommate not to feed your cat or give him treats. Set the alarm on your phone to remind you to put the food down. Cats gravitate to the person who feeds them the most. You identified the problem in your post. :wink: