Needs some advice about cat-shelves

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I´ve decided to make the top of my closet a safe place for my cat. She is not the cuddly type of cat, and a few people finds that hard when they visit (even though I tell them where her "safe places are" (top of the cat trees...) ) - so it ends up with her biting them (marking with her teeth ....) that it is enough. My dad is the worst- he loves her so much that he can´t leave her alone. 

How far apart should these steps be mounted on the wall? She is a small cat, but very athletic, weighs 2,8 kg (5-6 pounds?).

I plan to have a lot of cosy blankets and pillows on top of the closet.

I have two big closets, one in the hall (where she can watch me in the couch, see the entrance and the kitchen, and one in the bedroom (where she can watch me to see it I´m ready to wake up and feed her, and watch the garden). She likes to sleep on the floor in the hallway, in the middle of her kingdom. Which one do you think is the best place for her hiding spot?

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful!! I can see why people can't resist petting her. It sounds like she doesn't run from people, or try to avoid them, so her preference would probably be the closet in the hall, where she can see more of what's going on. 

What type of shelves were you going to put in? Zig-zag type or staircase type? 

At 5-6 lbs, she is a petite little girl. Is she full grown? I put the zig-zag shelves at 14.5" apart (top of one shelf to the bottom of the next). That accommodates all of my cats, both large and small. But for just one, small cat you could put them a little bit closer (no more than 1/2" closer). The staircase type shelves are only 6" apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is full grown, her mom was siamese, so she has inherited her body type and personality from her- athletic, curios, social. 

I´ve ordered small circular shelves (http://www.contempocat.com/collections/wall-climbing-systems), a number of the circular and two large shelves.(9x9 inches and 8x30 inches). The company advised me to put the smaller steps 15 cm apart- 5 inches? 

I think that she will like to be able to see what is happening, as she is very curios. 

But i have another option: to make a climbing wall in the sitting room, using two big cat trees and the steps connecting them. The two big shelves will than be placed close to the ceiling, so that she will be able to have her safe place, but still be able to see everything.

I find it hurting that so many find her boring and antisocial, when she is very cuddly when she wants to cuddle, to me and to a few of my friends who let her set the pace. She starts every morning kneading my chest, purring and kissing. And uses my hand and arms as a pillow at night. She is always in the middle in the beginning, playing with the kids, investigating the visitors things and shoes.... but she don´t like strangers petting her. Why is that so hard to understand? A cat with a lot of integrity. I feed her raw food, and her fur was silky before changing to raw, but the fur now is amazing- a very soft fur makes people want to pet her even more. 

Any thoughts? All ideas are welcome.

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Those are very nice shelves. They are small, so I would certainly put them no more than 5" apart as the company advised. I am sure she will love the design you have in mind for the shelves. Especially as they allow her to get from one tree to the next without a paw having to touch the floor! What kitty wouldn't? And as much as she enjoys observing, those shelves give her a good view of everything going on.

Her fur looks very soft and silky. Irresistible! She's a lucky girl to have you taking such good care of her and it sounds like she loves you very much!

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is the reason my house is now a home, she is the reason that makes me leave my bed some mornings (I have a whiplash injury, and a few years back I "hit the wall" due to bad situation at work), she helps me unwind and focus on what is best for me and her, and what really is important. She makes me laugh every day when she is playing and being her goofy self. And most of all- the feeling of beeing loved and needed. So the question might be- who is the lucky one- me or her? 

She tried to climb the templates on the wall the other day! So She knows it´s for her! 

Thanks for your thoughts, always good to have a second opinion before I start making holes in the wall.....

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are right, you are both so fortunate to have each other. There's just nothing like waking up to the sound of purring to put all things in perspective. I'm so glad you found her, and that she has helped you through tough times.

It's so funny that she tried to climb the templates! She's saying.... hurry, hurry, hurry!!

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I´ll send a picture when it is done. But they are still in the mail... somewhere overseas.....

And- When I was looking for a cat I wanted a one-year old female, to avoid the kitten-stage. When I was visting a friend of a friend they had a one year old, and bunch of kittens. "I´ve never liked black cats, I don't´want a kitten- it´s too much work.....  but it´s never wrong to cuddle with the kittens...." I thought. A 3 month old black kitten started to purr when I picked her up, she licked my hand- and the rest is history......

susank521

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is adorable. Those kittens will get you every time! 

I still say she's one lucky little girl 

Please do post a picture when you get the shelves up. 

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very nice.  I see you decided against the closet.  I was wondering how that would have worked with coats and stuff in it and the steps on the wall.  It looks great and the kitty is enjoying them.

cicoccabim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided that this arrangement would give her two things- a place to climb and watch the garden and the living room; and in the top corner there are two big shelves that are out of reach for guests. The steps also leads to her cat tree. 

She seems to get it. It was done one hour ago, and she´s figured it out.