needs more fiber

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A couple of my cats I've noticed are straining when it comes to pooping. So since most people on here know what they're talking about I looked for fiber or ideas on what to do. I tried giving a tiny amount of whole psyllium husk, that worked. Then I read that egg yolk lecithin not only helps with potty but helps with undigested hairballs stuck in the GI tract. Ok that sounded great, now I bought some of that. One cat won't touch food with it & the other will eat it. Ok then I see that dried/powdered egg yolk basically does the same thing but has more benefits. Ok so now I buy a bag of that & all cats will eat it.

The other day I noticed one cat was visiting the litter box frequently, I started looking in the box & she was barely peeing, so now we have the beginnings of a UTI. So people have said that the phosphorus content in egg yolk is high but feeding the small amount shouldn't really affect them all that much. Well it has.

So now I'm back to what to feed to help with potty that won't raise phosphorus levels? I am feeding a lower phosphorus content food compared to most brands. Since my cats are 8, I thought it would be wise to keep it to 1% or below. My only thought with the psyllium is when I take it, I know what it does to me (gas, sometimes cramps) & I don't really want to cause that in an animal.

thanks

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What kind of wet food are you feeding? Do you add water to it to give her extra moisture? Is she a kidney kitty?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What kind of wet food are you feeding? Do you add water to it to give her extra moisture? Is she a kidney kitty?
Last time she got her blood drawn (Aug) her levels were fine, don't know if anything has changed since then.
I feed Weruva non fish. I went through all their products & grabbed all food with phos that was around 1% or below & that is what I've been feeding since Sept. Her poop hasn't changed from feeding this compared to what I was feeding before (Soulsitic & Fussie Cat). Yes sometimes I do put water into the food but my one picky cat won't touch the food when I add water. I think the water might taste like plastic from the bottle, I don't know, that's the only thing I can think of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
update**** I was curious about her urine PH & just grabbed a sample, the paper was light green which there was no color for, so I'm assuming it's in the 7.0 range.

I will see about getting her into the vet.