Needing good vibes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BellaBlue82

Sadie rules, Julian drools, my boys rule heaven ❤
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
I didn't think I'd be on again so quickly after Nico passed last month, but here we are.

Casper started to seem sick about two weeks after Nico passed away, and I thought he simply took it s little hard. This happened before 6 years ago when he lost his brother Sonny - he has feline herpes and stress flare ups give him a kitty cold.

We had a vet visit today, and the suspect is some type of liver disease. He is a little jaundice, with lack of appetite and tiredness. We did CBC with some other panels today, but at 18 I'm questioning how far we go. If it's cirrhosis or liver cancer, which are both untreatable, then it's hospice care until it's time.

For right now we're treating as inflammatory liver disease, with fluids steroids and antibiotics. I'll be looking into SAMe and UDCA to begin soon as well.

Hopefully he responds to the treatment plan we have in effect, but it's still tough so soon after losing his mate. 😔❤

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
didn't think I'd be on again so quickly after Nico passed last month, but here we are.

Casper started to seem sick about two weeks after Nico passed away, and I thought he simply took it s little hard. This happened before 6 years ago when he lost his brother Sonny - he has feline herpes and stress flare ups give him a kitty cold.
Do Cats Mourn? – TheCatSite Articles

Sending vibes :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hoping the new meds do the trick. Did he also get an appetite stimulant? That might be needed as well.

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes:
Ugh, well unfortunately the mirtazapine made his jaundice worse for two days afterwards. So sadly, we have to be careful with what additional medicine we give.
But that's ok, I'm supplementing his daily food intake with assisted feeding. He does so well for me, eats it right up and no mess! ❤ My cute little old man, he sits with his bib (towel lol) as I feed him.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:
Blood work returned today, some values are up. The thing that has both me and vet puzzled is his increased SDMA. All other kidney values are on the lower side of normal range. SDMA is 27 (should be under 14.)
His ALP is 211, when it should be around 30-40. Obviously bilirubin is high as well. Potassium is low, and he is slightly anemic. Reticulocyte production is still normal though, so at least he's regenerative. Also his monocytes are high.

We're treating as cholangeohepatitis right now. Our thoughts are all these values are tied; if bilirubin is being released into the blood stream, that could lead to hemolysis which in turn could be effecting the kidneys. We'll have a recheck in two weeks after treatment with sub-q, steroids, antibiotics, SAMe, and potassium supplement.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
We're treating as cholangeohepatitis right now. Our thoughts are all these values are tied; if bilirubin is being released into the blood stream, that could lead to hemolysis which in turn could be effecting the kidneys. We'll have a recheck in two weeks after treatment with sub-q, steroids, antibiotics, SAMe, and potassium supplement.
~ Don't forget to ask for home supplies to do subcutaneous hydration with Ringers lactate ✔
:vibes: 💕😽

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
~ Don't forget to ask for home supplies to do subcutaneous hydration with Ringers lactate ✔
:vibes: 💕😽
We're stocked up! Thankfully my vet knows I'm capable of fluids and injections and such. I have three bags of fluids, a bottle of B12, and she ordered me ondesetron, and potassium to help his appetite and potassium deficiency. So I'll be able to give shots which is easier for me.

Hopefully we'll see some improvement in two weeks. ❤

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry the medicine made his jaundice worse, but the visual of him and his little bib is just so sweet. :catrub:
Lol if I get a chance I'll try to take a picture of him in his bib. 😊
SAMe came today, and I'll be picking up potassium supplement and ondansetron injection stuff later today. He's not worse, but not much better just yet. It's not even been a week though and I am reading that this can take a while for the liver to heal. Hopefully we will start to see some minor improvements with the new meds/supplements over the weekend.

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He’s so adorable! :redheartpump:Beautiful picture. Hope he’s feeling better:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:
Thanks! He's such a sweet kitty, I'm blessed.
Still not feeling very well. Not worse, but not better yet. But I'm staying the course. I've read recovery can take weeks and it's only been 4 days since we've started treatment. Fingers crossed. 🤞🙏

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks! He's such a sweet kitty, I'm blessed.
Still not feeling very well. Not worse, but not better yet. But I'm staying the course. I've read recovery can take weeks and it's only been 4 days since we've started treatment. Fingers crossed. 🤞🙏
🙏 Remember, he's 18, and if they're like us the older we get the harder it is to bounce back from being sick. He has one of the sweetest little expressions I have ever seen in my life. :heartshape:

BellaBlue82

Alpha Cat
Purraise
🙏 Remember, he's 18, and if they're like us the older we get the harder it is to bounce back from being sick. He has one of the sweetest little expressions I have ever seen in my life. :heartshape:
Aw, lol I always say if he we're a human I'd picture him in a 1940's suit, vest, and bowler hat. 🤣 That's just his kind of personality!

And I agree, I think he's just having a bit of a rough time due to his age. But he's still fighting the good fight, and I'm happy to help him with that. ❤🙏

Status
Not open for further replies.