Needing Advice

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I am in dire need of trying to find resources that will care for my poor Cooper and pay his vet bills. I'm broke, and I'm on crutches myself,, and with all of this as well as not able to leave a very elderly parent I can't drive 300 miles one way and Care Credit is denying me because of my credit (past medical bills). I'm in tears over this situation. Is Cooper destined to suffer pain the remaining 15 or so years left of his life because my credit is bad? I'm at a loss. I mean I only have $5 a month after caring for the cats and I have not been able to actually buy anything for myself in 10 years. What a tragedy :(

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry- vet bills can definitely break anybody's bank.

Can you work with a vet on payments?
Is there a sliding scale clinic in your area- state?
What about Veterinarian schools?
Are there generic drug options available?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Closest vet school in 300 miles away. The only payment plans with my vets is the above Care Credit. And I can't just give him meds without seeing a vet which brings me back to my original post. :(

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
Closest vet school in 300 miles away. The only payment plans with my vets is the above Care Credit. And I can't just give him meds without seeing a vet which brings me back to my original post. :(
Alot of times if you have been going to same vet for awhile..U can maybe setup a payment arrangement...

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
He's already been at the vet. And I owe a huge bill as well as needing assistance with meds or he suffers. Sorry thought you saw the update on my ongoing thread. And care credit works for humans too (at least in my city it does) and I need medical attention or I won't be here in even a month to care for these cats.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Is Cooper destined to suffer pain the remaining 15 or so years left of his life because my credit is bad?
I've posted on your other thread as well. There are supplements available online for cats that suffer from arthritis.

It costs $30 for 4 months supply and they really do help. One of my older girls has been on them for the past month and she is getting around a lot better these days.

Also, I took a peek at your Amazon wish list. $30 for a dog crate, $22 for electronic cat toys, $65 for a cat tree, $140 for an automatic cat feeder might be a little extravagant. You have a nice setup for your three outdoor cats with the cat tree, beds and shelters. Rather than spending your money on luxury items, or asking others to buy them for you, couldn't you put your money into a savings account so you have something to fall back on if ever your cats do get seriously hurt or sick?

Cats really don't care about expensive collars or personalized name tags. I get all my pet bowls and toys from the 100 yen/dollar store, they work just as well.

I'm caring for 22 cats and I don't think I spend as much on them as you do on your three. I have lots of tips on how to make stuff like shelters, cat trees, toys etc by yourself. If you want any advice just let me know. You really don't need to put your own well being at risk in order to take proper care of your cats. Spending time with them usually solves any problems a lot better than spending money does.

I know it's tough when you start out caring for outdoor cats. You don't know what they really need and you want to treat them to the best to make up for the tough lives they've had in the past. It is possible to do things cheaply and effectively though.

:alright:

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I've posted on your other thread as well. There are supplements available online for cats that suffer from arthritis.

It costs $30 for 4 months supply and they really do help. One of my older girls has been on them for the past month and she is getting around a lot better these days.

Also, I took a peek at your Amazon wish list. $30 for a dog crate, $22 for electronic cat toys, $65 for a cat tree, $140 for an automatic cat feeder might be a little extravagant. You have a nice setup for your three outdoor cats with the cat tree, beds and shelters. Rather than spending your money on luxury items, or asking others to buy them for you, couldn't you put your money into a savings account so you have something to fall back on if ever your cats do get seriously hurt or sick?

Cats really don't care about expensive collars or personalized name tags. I get all my pet bowls and toys from the 100 yen/dollar store, they work just as well.

I'm caring for 22 cats and I don't think I spend as much on them as you do on your three. I have lots of tips on how to make stuff like shelters, cat trees, toys etc by yourself. If you want any advice just let me know. You really don't need to put your own well being at risk in order to take proper care of your cats. Spending time with them usually solves any problems a lot better than spending money does.

I know it's tough when you start out caring for outdoor cats. You don't know what they really need and you want to treat them to the best to make up for the tough lives they've had in the past. It is possible to do things cheaply and effectively though.

:alright:
I know how to make stuff but when you suffer frozen shoulder, severe nerve damage, have cracked ribs, a broke toe and broke leg and no money to see your own doctor it's tough. So I have to beg and plead the deadbeats I know to help me although in years past I would have dropped everything to help them. I am in pain even coming on here typing but I have to do it. Not just for the cats but to keep from going to court on past medical bills. I appreciate the offer though. You can let me know and I'll see if I can find someone to do it for me. When on crutches it's hard to do anything. I can't even afford teeth so I can eat like a normal human being :(

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
MOD NOTE:

To all members, a reminder that it is your responsibility to check out these solicitations to the best of your ability. Thecatsite.com does not stand behind any solicitation of funds for any reasons that appear in the forums unless explicitly authorized.

Please note that this is a generic note added after all pleas for money.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

You live in St. Louis, about forty miles from me and I know there is

I was asking if there were generic drug options available.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Where at? Because I'm not getting any cooperation from the St Louis Feral Society. They're telling me up in Jeff City or so is the closest one.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Where at? Because I'm not getting any cooperation from the St Louis Feral Society. They're telling me up in Jeff City or so is the closest one.

I was speaking of sliding scale clinics and also generect drugs. I know that Mizzou in Columbia is the closest vet school.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too far for me to go when I have a sick and elderly mother with dementia alone. And no relatives to come help her. Otherwise I would.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That's too far for me to go when I have a sick and elderly mother with dementia alone. And no relatives to come help her. Otherwise I would.

I am sorry to hear about your mother- I know caring for her and your kitties is very stressful.
Of course the is way too far for you to travel to- but have you tried finding some sliding scale clinics.

I was wondering too if going over to Illinois would help. That state is a lot more liberal than Missouri and it is only a stones throw away.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm not sure I understand what you need for Cooper. First of all you said.

Cooper got hit by a car. He's got severe injuries. Not sure of survival chances
But after the vet examined him you said.
The car barely touched Cooper
Yes. We can live with arthritis although sad at his young age
So does Cooper have arthritis? Or are you asking for help paying a different vet bill? There is nothing a vet can do about arthritis except for suggest a supplement. There are pain killers for cats, but it's very risky to keep a cat on pain medication for any extended length of time. Glucasamine helps to reduce inflammation and improve mobility in arthritic joints, so any pain the cat feels will be eased by taking this.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to SIU (Southern Illinois University) which is pretty close to St Louis ( around 100 miles). SIU has a vet tech school. I lived in that area for almost 3 years and took a lot of classes in VO AG as they used to have a school for that.
There is also a SIU campus at Edwardsville which is very close to you that has a nursing school and the dental school amoung other things. There are a lot of resources there Including the SIU campuses. I was just reading about some of the SIU outreach programs for East St Louis. It looks like there is a lot available. It was a long time ago that I was there but if anything looking at the map there is a lot more people there and thus more resources.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to SIU (Southern Illinois University) which is pretty close to St Louis ( around 100 miles). SIU has a vet tech school. I lived in that area for almost 3 years and took a lot of classes in VO AG as they used to have a school for that.
There is also a SIU campus at Edwardsville which is very close to you that has a nursing school and the dental school amoung other things. There are a lot of resources there Including the SIU campuses. I was just reading about some of the SIU outreach programs for East St Louis. It looks like there is a lot available. It was a long time ago that I was there but if anything looking at the map there is a lot more people there and thus more resources.
[/URL][/URL][/URL]
Again I can not go that far and leave a very sick and elderly mother on her own. I personally can't go more than 5 miles from home and leave her alone due to the time it takes. As I have mentioned time and again the woman is more than stubborn and will not go to a doctor and/or sign me over as POA. And our deadbeat relatives won't do a thing to help.

I did find a vet one mile from my house owned by Dr Gorman (best vet in Missouri) and he makes house calls. I haven't spoke to him yet. I thought that the injuries Cooper had were from being hit by the car. I had no idea he had arthritis. I'm not an animal communicator. Wish I was though.

Since I was not physically there when the accident happened (it is hard to walk 2 blocks on ice and snow while on crutches) I am only going by what my neighbors told me. Yes, the neighbors know I care for the cats and know how to get in touch with me through personal meeting (before the excessive injuries) and the Next Door app. Wonderful app btw. But after the vet examined Cooper he confirmed that he was not injured as much as I was told he was. Again hard to tell when I'm home with a cracked rib, broken leg and broke toe that isn't healing. But since I want to get pain medication and after my latest fiasco with over the counter I refuse to buy anything unless a vet says it's ok. But I do have 2 more cats which are Shaman and Shadow. They were 100% feral and at some point when I can get away from this crazy woman here, I plan on taking the cats with me. And I want all of them to be healthy. Just because 2 were feral they should not be penalized for such. So instead of taking each cat in separately to a REGULAR vet and paying $80 visit (yes it costs that much as I spent 2 days calling) for each cat that equals total of $240 it's cheaper to get each one into the carriers and pay just for one visit to the vet and then the examination for all 3. Sorry I was not clear on the situation.

Last edited:

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
MoonstoneWolf MoonstoneWolf I'm not sure I understand what you need for Cooper. First of all you said.

But after the vet examined him you said.

So does Cooper have arthritis? Or are you asking for help paying a different vet bill? There is nothing a vet can do about arthritis except for suggest a supplement. There are pain killers for cats, but it's very risky to keep a cat on pain medication for any extended length of time. Glucasamine helps to reduce inflammation and improve mobility in arthritic joints, so any pain the cat feels will be eased by taking this.
I know I was so upset when heard the kitty got hit by a car....