Needed Shots

Kat_0701

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm still in high school and don't have a personal source of income. I plan on getting my male cat neutered and helping my brother get his female cat spayed. I also want to get both of them the shots they need. I don't know what shots they will need, though. They're both about or under a year old, I think. Phillip, the male, is older than Scraggler by a month or so it seems. Neither of them are fully grown, though. What shots do they need? They haven't had any before as far as I know.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You'll get various opinions from no vaccinations at all to just the bare minimum.

The AVMA recommends these:

Rabies
Feline panleukopenia
Feline herpesvirus-1
Calicivirus
For kittens, feline leukemia virus

The FVRCP vaccine covers rhinotracheitis, calicivirus and panleukopenia. Rabies is required by law in many states.

Where did you get the cats from? If they came from a shelter, they may have already been vaccinated. You should have received paperwork indicating what vaccines and vet care they received. If the cats' history are unknown (former strays, you got them from a person selling them on an ad, etc), then it would be best to start with the basic vaccinations and do the appropriate boosters as needed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet can help, you with that. When I bring my strays in, they vaccinate with the 4 mentioned above and get neutered at the same time. The female should be done first as to not bring more kittens into this world. That is a more major surgery and may costa little more. Males usually bounce right back within a day. Both definitely need to be done to cut back on the annoying hormone driven behaviors like spraying, darting out of the house, constant meowing to get out, and very bad moods. They may seem OK now but they are getting to the age were that will change. I haven't seen a cat yet that doesn't change for the worse with sexual maturity. Not to mention up to three litters a year who in the long run cost you even more in food, finding them all homes, and vet services that come with being a responsible pet owner. PLEASE get them taken care of ASAP, find the money somewhere, it will make you and them so much more happy. Thank you for being so knowledgeable and responsible at a young age! You will be blessed for doing this!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're almost a year old, the female may be pregnant already :/. Talk to the vet about your options.

As for the vaccines, the main vaccines are combined into a combo shot (FVRCP). So if they're inside cats, they would only need the combo shot and a rabies shot. If they go outside you might want to get them the Feline Leukemia vaccine.

But the most important thing is getting them fixed, soon!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a low-cost vet. Ask around for recommendations.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Depending on where you live, you might be able to find a low-cost vet. Ask around for recommendations.

And a low cost spay / neuter clinic or spaymobile.

What do your parents say about you and your brother having cats? Are they buying cat food, litter, etc since you don't have a job? Vet bills can get really expensive, especially for emergencies. You'll need to come up with a plan with your parents on how to afford a huge unexpected vet bill.