Need your thoughts please

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About where you think my cat might be.  I haven't been able to find her for almost 24 hours.  I am really upset about it - can't eat, can't sleep.  Sorry this is SO long. :(

Emma is about 5 years old and was a totally indoor cat for the first 4 years.  At my boyfriend's absolute insistence we started letting Emma outside some on the patio.  Things mostly went pretty well.  I can almost always see her and can usually chase her back inside when I'm ready for her to come in.  Emma does not have a collar and is not chipped - in spite of being a mostly indoor cat she is kinda wild.  Terrified of strangers, cars, other cats, won't let me pick her up easily.

Sunday morning she went outside and a few minutes later I couldn't find her.  When I went outside she was at the next townhouse down and I went over there to get her.  She freaked out and the closer I got the more she ran away.  I didn't think too much about it - went back inside, looked out the back yard again and now she's a couple of townhouses away on the short brick wall that separates each house.  I rattled the treat bag, opened a can of tuna and as I would get closer she kept going away.  So I backed off.  I looked out there and she was just crying and crying and her tail was HUGE.  I thought maybe there was another cat or something but I didn't chase her - didn't want to run her off.

Then I saw her jump off the brick wall and thought she was headed back home.  I didn't think too much about it - thought she'll come home right now.  Suddenly it was 5 hours later and she wasn't home.  I started to really worry.  I looked and looked and called and rattled the treat bag, etc.  She usually will RACE to me for treats.  I went to the neighbors several houses on either side and at the house 2 doors down - where she'd been making the loud crying - the guy said "Oh yes she was here.  She ran in my patio door, FREAKED out and ran back out."  He said I'm an animal lover and she comes here alot (doubtful I think).  He said she left toward your house.

So I haven't made signs yet but I've gone to almost every neighbor, showed the picture to alot of them, left my name and number with some, went in many of their back yards to look for Emma, called and called, more treat bag, opened a can of tuna, went to the apartment complex behind me, etc.  And nothing.

When I saw the neighbor at about 9pm I mentioned I was still looking and worried.  And I said all the things I'd done to find Emma and he made a kinda odd statement "Well I'm being open and honest with you" and acted kinda cross or mean.  Hmmm Really??  And why would you be otherwise?  Why would he make a point to say that?  I got to wondering if he shut Emma in his house.  That seems far fetched to me but still I wonder.  And I thought I saw her come towards my house after the time he said she was in his house and left in a hurry towards my house.

Still no Emma.  I think it's most likely that she is terrified and hiding.  And I know most cats hide near by.  But she's never spent more than an hour outside never mind a whole day and night.  She must be hungry by now.  I'm sleeping next to the back door and it is ajar and I put some tuna outside in a bowl.

Your thoughts?  Is it unlikely that she's shut in the neighbor's house?  What should I do now?

If you've read this far, THANK YOU.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a lot of suggestions here on this site for fining missing cats, such as searching just after dark with a flashlight so you can see reflective eyes, looking under all the cars, porches, etc., in the area, leaving food on the porch, and so on.

But when you find her, I'd have a long talk with the bf about keeping her inside.  If he can't live with that...well, you'll have to make up your mind about what actions to take.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of suggestions here on this site for fining missing cats, such as searching just after dark with a flashlight so you can see reflective eyes, looking under all the cars, porches, etc., in the area, leaving food on the porch, and so on.

But when you find her, I'd have a long talk with the bf about keeping her inside.  If he can't live with that...well, you'll have to make up your mind about what actions to take.

Thank you, Mrblanche!  Apparently I needed to write this post as part of finding her.  I had done many of the tips you listed but after posting I read the one about searching with a flashlight and decided to go outside right then at 2:30 am with a flashlight and some treats.  I walked the neighborhood for about 10 minutes and then decided to drive in my car.

Similar to what was posted about flashlights, the headlights from my car found her about 8 (?) houses down crouched on the driveway next to a trashcan.  And it was her eyes that the headlights picked up.  When I tried to get out and give her some treats she ran away.  So I went back home and left my car and walked down there with a can of tuna and a can opener (her usual "sign" that she's getting a treat when she hears the can being opened).  I opened the can and then saw her crouched on an outcropping of the house crying and crying.  After pretending I didn't see her I walked near her and put the tuna in the paper bowl (to make a strong smell) and then she cried and cried some more.  Eventually she let me scratch her head - her favorite - and after a while of that she jumped down to smell the tuna.

I waited till she was ready to start eating the tuna and picked her up leaving the tuna, can opener etc and started walking fast towards my house.  She DID want to be rescued cause she let me pick her up and carry her half a block to my house.  She has never done that before.  She tried to get away but I held tight and said NO in a large voice.
 She even endured me opening the garage door to go in and close it holding tightly to her the whole time.  Then she really cried but I wasn't about to let go till we were safely inside.

She calmed down fairly quickly and came in the kitchen and inspected everything at home 
 while I went back to get my can opener and tuna.

Oh my gosh!  The things we do for our pets!!!!  She certainly won't be going outside anytime soon that's for sure.  Boyfriend is out of the country working so I won't have to address the issue at all for a while.  Hopefully Emma also got a good enough scare to make her more timid.

Thanks Mrblanche and anyone here who read.  I am grateful to have this forum.  And so so so relieved that she's found and home safely.  I can't even tell you.  And also delighted that I can go to sleep in my bed and get some good rest now.  Thank God.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just read this now!!! I was sad at first reading about your kitty - but now am SO happy that she is safe back home :woohoo: Please DO keep her indoor's only - better for you mental health and no more sleepless night's :lol3: I could never let my cat's outdoor's - I know all too well the danger's that lurk out there :eek:. :wavey:

Last edited:

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonder full news I am so Glad that you have found her!!!! I don't blame you for not letting her out again. I used to let my cats out but I no longer dare.They are inside only or out in there enclosed cat fence area.

After almost losing her I would not let your boy friend make you let her outside again! just tell him NO its your cat...