Need your suggestions

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone, We have been feeding a stray cat that came by our back yard here and there for a few months. Recently, he has been coming every day, and pushed his way in the house a few times. Luckily, my resident cats are in the bedroom all these times. Now, once he is inside, he picked the soft couch and stayed there most of the day. By evening, we have to lure him back out, so our house cats can have their space back. He seems so sweet an affection, but he is not neutered, and we are afraid of him spraying the house. We would love to keep him, but there is no help around where I am. The vets wanted too much for their service. I don't want to call the shelter with the fear they take him away. I would love your suggestions on where to go to get free neuter. I know he will need all the shots which at least I can do for him. I live in Montgomery County, Maryland. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Thanks so much.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for showing this lost/abandoned/neglected boy such kind charity :yess:. Friends of Montgomery County Animals has a website and a Facebook page. One FB post shows spay/neuter assistance opportunities.. I know that good homes for kitties, especially adults, are difficult to find but maybe ask around. Someone with a young adult disabled child might be wanting a fur companion to join their household but without the time constraints of owning a dog.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Joey. Do you know the FB link? I looked but I did not find anything like that.

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again, Joey. I found it, and sent them a message.

nwengel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, We have been feeding a stray cat that came by our back yard here and there for a few months. Recently, he has been coming every day, and pushed his way in the house a few times. Luckily, my resident cats are in the bedroom all these times. Now, once he is inside, he picked the soft couch and stayed there most of the day. By evening, we have to lure him back out, so our house cats can have their space back. He seems so sweet an affection, but he is not neutered, and we are afraid of him spraying the house. We would love to keep him, but there is no help around where I am. The vets wanted too much for their service. I don't want to call the shelter with the fear they take him away. I would love your suggestions on where to go to get free neuter. I know he will need all the shots which at least I can do for him. I live in Montgomery County, Maryland. Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated. Thanks so much.
I just love the picture on the car. It’s like he owns it.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also try Googling: montgomery county md spay neuter program
He is a handsome boy! Thanks for taking care of him.

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did contact them this morning, but they don't accept any appointment, and put me on wait list. At least, I was able to get him an appointment for rabbie vaccination. Thank you.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww, the cat is adorable! He looks like a Hemingway (polydactyl) kitty. Some people love mitten paws.

I would reverse it: Keep him in a bedroom and let your cats go everywhere else as usual. He seems to like staying in one place all day.

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You noticed his paws too. I thought I was seeing thing. We kept our house cats in our bedroom. They pretty much has everything they need in there. This one is in the living room, so that when he wants back out, we can let him out easily.
Today, we have rain and thunderstorm all day. He spent the whole day sleeping on the sofa. He dashed a few times to the door, but when it opened, he turned around and went straight to the sofa. Smart boy :) But we will need him out tonight, so we can go to bed :( We do have a curtain in gazebo with nice cushion furniture that he can stay dried and sleep if he wants to.

MackerelTabbyStripes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you already have some good leads -- but still no neuter appointment yet. The resources you've got look great and you can keep asking on those.

However, when we recently got some feral kittens inside, we ended up getting them fixed at a local shelter for a lower cost. It wasn't on the list of local spay/neuter services for feral cats, and we also weren't giving them up to the shelter either. Instead, the vet who worked at that shelter simply donated some of her time for any cat in need of rescue, so the costs of care were lower (but still not free.) So I wouldn't rule out calling your local shelters just in case -- I'm not sure how low a cost would be affordable for you, but it was faster to get their appointment at the shelter than it would have been for us working only through the feral programs. I have no idea if any of your local shelters might have a similar program, but they might have helpful information for you.

It sounds like you really just need a cheaper way of getting him fixed, and then you would be comfortable adopting him yourself as he wouldn't be likely to spray? In this case, I don't think you need to worry about the shelter taking him away as long as you are clear on your intentions when talking to them, and with enough patience and persistence, I'm sure you'll find a place that will do a lower-cost neuter. Maybe sooner than you think if that waitlist you're on moves quickly!

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for reply to my post. My boy got neutered today. As soon as he got home, he ran straight to the door and cried to be let out. We don't let him of course, and hope he will change in a few days once he is completely recovered.

petluvver

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is doing great, Flybynight. He became extremely affectionate after neutered. He still cries a lot wanting to go outside, but also forgets fast once treats around :). Unfortunately, He and my 2 house cats are not quite getting along yet, so I had to create a schedule for them to spend qualiy time with us. At least, Milo did not show sign of agression in the sight of the other 2. Thanks for checking in.

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an awesome update!! Kudos, Pet Luvver!!! I have been wondering but only have internet here at work. My rural area lacks good service and despite a new modem and new router, not having much luck.