Need your help please / Missing my cat / pheromones in front of the door

Kittycat45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Hello, I am addressing you because my cat has been lured out of my apartment by pheromones. Someone sprayed it, and it wasn't the first time.
6 weeks ago, I opened my door and my and my cat jumped up wildly and ran away fearfully. I had problems to get her back home, but I was successful this time. 7 days ago, I opened my door again and it happened again. She jumped up wildly and ran away. I tried to catch her, but she was angry. This time I wasn't successful 😔 I lost her. She's been missing for a week now and I'm convinced that someone sprayed pheromones to get her out of my flat.

Two days later after her escape, I found her in the neighbours garden, but she still didn't want to come with me and she escaped into another garden. She hasn't been seen since. The only hope I have is that if someone wanted to catch her, she would have run far enough away. Even dogs that run past my house hit the pheromone. It is clearly visible that something is wrong here. My question is, can I neutralise the pheromones in any way ? She won't come back to me, if the pheromone creates fear. I'm really devastated, I miss her so much and I want her back 😭. I hope that she is still around. Maybe you can help me, please. Sorry for my bad English folks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what pheromone you are talking about or where it was sprayed, but is it possible to hose/spray down the area just to weaken the scent? Perhaps with baking soda, if not just water?

As far as finding your cat, keep going through your yard, and your neighbors' yards looking for her. Ask your neighbors for help if you can, and see if they will either try to lure her to them or at least let you know when they might see her.

If she is typically an indoor cat, she is very likely hiding out somewhere nearby. You should be going out every day/night as often as you can and calling for her, even sitting outside for at least 1/2 hour each time waiting for her to respond. You can take a can/bag of cat food or treats with you and shake them hoping that will lure her while calling to her. Hopefully, this article will give you some ideas of what you can try. Help! My Cat Is Lost!

Once you do find her, you need to keep her away from the door. Here is an article on that subject so you can read it and prepare for when she is back at home with you. How To Prevent Your Cat From Darting Out The Door

I hope some of this helps. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycat45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I will spray the area with water and try the baking soda too. Good idea !!!

My cat has not been seen for 4 days now. I put flyers everywhere and everyone knows that she is missing by now. I was searching for her the last 6 days and nights, calling her and shaking her treat box, but she is still missing. I put food and the litter box in front of the door, but it remains untouched.

I'm really angry about the person who did this. I think it was done by purpose and the action should hit me and it did.

She is an indoor cat and she is usually calm and sweet. I've never seen her being so angry and in fear.

Thanks for all the useful information, I appreciate that. I'll keep you posted for sure👍 Please push all your paws for her safe return home.

Just saw the double post, sorry

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers: :crossfingers:
Also, notify local vets and rescue centers/shelters. Someone may come across her and take her there or give them pictures to post. Check/post to online lost and found web sites as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kittycat45

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, that's allready done. I've done everything I can. I'm so exhausted and I haven't slept too much the last six days. I've run so much that my feet hurt and the covid pandemic doesn't make it easier to find her. Stay healthy and many thanks.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear that your cat is missing. It's an awful feeling, but my cats have survived outside for six weeks after getting lost, so please don't worry about her too much. With the lock down in place there will be less traffic and less people around, so she should be safer than usual.

It would help if you knew what kind of pheromone had been sprayed outside your house. There are products such as Nature's Mace, which are supposed to repel cats, but they usually only last for 7 days. Unless someone is repeatedly spraying near your house it should wear off soon.

Do you have a security camera outside your house? Or could you set up a camera to check if she is still near by? Indoor only cats don't usually go very far when they get out. She is probably in the area.

Try sprinkling used cat litter from her litter box or dust from your vacuum cleaner around your house. Anything that smells of home should make her come back.

Good luck, I hope she comes home soon.