Need your help and ideas!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard in the past that it's tacky or untasteful to have baby showers after having your first baby.
Is this true?

It's been 8 years since my youngest was born and I didn't have one with him but seeing as it has been so long alot of my friends are asking if I'm having one with the new baby.

If not, can you guys help me come up with some creative ideas for games for the baby shower?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have attended several showers for 2 , 3 and even a 5 baby. Since it has been 8 years since your last baby, I see no reason not to have a shower.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

I have attended several showers for 2 , 3 and even a 5 baby. Since it has been 8 years since your last baby, I see no reason not to have a shower.
same here... If you want have one

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your friends are asking about one, I don't see why you shouldn't have one. Its not like you're forcing them to go to one. And since its been a long time since your youngest, you're not going to have a lot of the baby things lying around, just like a first time mom, so I say go for it!

Its been awhile since I went to a baby shower, but at one of my friend's, they had melted candy bars in diapers (kind of looks like poo :p) and had people guess what kind of candy bar it was.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Go ahead and have one! Who cares what a few people think? Your friends want to do it.

I say turn it over to your closest friends and let them plan it.
You should be able to relax a little and just have some fun, not stress out over planning anything.

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The way I see it, if people don't want you to have one then they don't have to come right?

It sounds like your friends want you to have one too so why not have a little fun??

8 years is a long time between, unless you have room to save everything that you accumulated, I doubt it would hurt much to get some new baby
accessories.

So the answer is...No I don't think it's tasteless at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

If your friends are asking about one, I don't see why you shouldn't have one. Its not like you're forcing them to go to one. And since its been a long time since your youngest, you're not going to have a lot of the baby things lying around, just like a first time mom, so I say go for it!

Its been awhile since I went to a baby shower, but at one of my friend's, they had melted candy bars in diapers (kind of looks like poo :p) and had people guess what kind of candy bar it was.
That's a cute one!

Thanks everyone. I'm thinking if I did have one it will be after Christmas.

We have alot of clothes for him along with the swing, car seat, and bassinet but we haven't thought to pick up the little things. I was going to wait til after the Holidays and hit all the sales

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My favorite baby shower game is the one where you cut a ribbon or some toilet paper and see who got the closest to guessing how big around the mom to be is.

There's also a game where you fill baby bottles, and see who can drink the fastest out of a baby bottle.

Another good one is where you have people write down the names of baby animals. Like a baby cat is a kitten and a baby dog is a puppy, etc.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've never heard of the mom-to-be having the baby shower. Usually here a friend of the mom-to-be hosts the baby shower and yes, it's fine to have one for each baby.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a baby shower would be just fine. It's not like you have 10 kids and have had a baby shower for every one of them. Also, by this time you are probably in need of baby things, so go ahead and have one and just enjoy it!

So far as games go, how about taking a few diapers and melting a different chocolate bar into each one and then having your guests try and guess what the chocolate bar in each diaper is. I saw that on TV and it looked hysterical!

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I say go for it!!! I had one for 3 of mine.

a cute game is also take some jars of baby food---put about a spoon full of baby food on a plate---put several different ones on a paper plate___NOT mixing them.Keep about 2 inches from each other.Pass out plastic spoons to peeps with their plates--have them guess which food is what.
example--in case this is confusing...lol!!
Have a jar of beans and peas.Put some of both on the plate.EACH person has to guess which one is the beans,and which one is the peas.Harder than you think.LOL
you can fill a baby bottle with jelly beans.Count how many are in the bottle.Pass the bottle around,and have everyone write down how many they think are in the bottle.Winner gets a prize.
get some CHEAP diapers.Put some mustard in ONE of them.Hand a diaper out to everyone that shows up,the one with the mustard--wins a prize.

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In our crew we have a shower for each baby but thats just us... we're weird.
I agree that you shouldn't host your own party, let your friends and family do it for you!

I've heard of doing the diaper thing mentioned by crittermom and at the last one I co-hosted we changed it up just a little. Instead of using real diapers, we bought white tissue paper and folded up miniature diapers out of it, then made those into pins for each guest's shirt one of which had a 'present' drawn inside with crayon. At the end of the shower everyone opened up their diaper and the person with the dookie got a little prize.

animalhouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
a cpl things that have been done at baby Showers I have been to.. were.. One.. bring a roll of TP and have people guess how big around ure tummy is. And who ever is closest.. wins a prize. Another would be getting small Cloths pins.. And everyone wears one.. and if you say "baby" U loose ure pin to who catches u. And at the end of the shower.. the one with the most wins

Grats on the soon to be new addition!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom's rule of thumb (our family's own "Emily Post"
) was a baby shower is ok if your last child is at least 5 years old. Don't ask me where she got that but if she would approve then go for it!

Some games I've played at showers are the name the baby animals (won that once...thank you Animal Planet!), and if you have a name picked out, have everyone see how many words they can spell from the letters of the first and middle name.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never heard of this in my life... I have been in many showers when the baby was not the first one...
I say do what is in your hart with people who care about you... The others... oh well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the ideas!

My mom is going to throw one for me. Depending on what happens in the next few days (crossing fingers) it will be on Jan 15th