Need Wet Food Suggestion Consistency Of Baby Food

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
16 year old cat had gotten more finicky. He now will only eat baby food. He also tried and ate Hills A/D that I had for another senior cat that was recently sick, however medically he does not need it and I have no more anyway. I need suggestions for wet food but the consistency of baby food or A/D. I tried adding water to a regular pate that he used to like, but the consistency is just not the same. He did have a dental a few months ago while he was already sedated for another procedure so we know it is not dental pain. He also had another tooth removed then, but ate normally after. I think this consistency just takes him less energy to eat as he can lap it up.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried a food in gravy and mash it with a fork until it is smooth but moist. What about pate?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gordonsmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, yes. Tried both. I suppose I could put it in the blender and see how that goes, otherwise he laps up the most liquid part and leaves the rest.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can't give exact brand suggestions as I'm in the UK. Having said that, the Fancy Feast Classic pate foods are likely some of the smoothest. Try Lidl pates too (at least, I think its Lidl. It might be Aldi..sorry I can't remember which it was - it was a couple of years ago that I last bought them), the ones in the little cans - if they're the same as over here, they're pretty moussey.

Adding water to pate might work if you use a blender rather than a fork. Try looking for foods marked as mousse rather than pate too. They should have a better consistency for your boy. A quick look on Amazon.com brings up Tiki Cat Velvets mousse, and Gourmet Gold Senior pate.

ETA - Chewy.com have Solid Gold Purrfect Pairings which look to be the consistency you're after too. I just found Nutro Soft Loaf Senior too (Petsmart), which might be another good option.

Last edited:

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take a pate that contains a good amount of "gravy" or gel. Put it in fairly tall glass or cup. Mix it with an immersion blender (those small hand held blenders). Within a matter of seconds it will turn it into the consistency resembling a partially melted Wendy's Frosty. I have to do this with some of the marbled, less uniform looking Rawz turkey and liver pate that I feed my cat.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Caru brand is kind of like gruel or cream of wheat. Very soupy with meat that is finely ground. Not as smooth as baby food but it is very soupy.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had luck with Sheba and BFF although I don't think that the last one will work for you. Having said that, my baby food eaters always held out for baby food and it had to be Gerbers.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Royal Canin Babycat canned food is very smooth. Not quite Gerber-smooth but close, if you add the right amount of water and mash it up.

If he needs extra calories, add some KMR to the food instead of water.