Need to trap a feral with rubberband around paw!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A member of public has called my friend's wildlife rescue hotline asking for help to trap a feral cat. However, the rescue people are not authorised nor trained to deal with cats. We have decided to try to help on personal level.

Cat is hiding at a power plant, I have not been to see the place yet, not sure what the layout is. This cat is trap-savvy, he's been caught before for neutering but that trap had a hole somewhere and he managed to escape. Since then he's been wary of similar traps and food lures.

This cat needs to be seen to very soon, some idiot has managed to get hold of him and tied a rubberband around his paw. Need some advice on luring a trap-savvy cat as soon as possible.

The member of public is trying to contact Cat Welfare Society. We have ruled out SPCA because they are notorious for putting cats who are not "cute" and adoptable to sleep due to lack of space (crock of sh*t reason if you ask me). We definitely do not trust SPCA. Please help!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry, I don't know anything about trapping cats, I just wanted to wish you luck in trapping it so you can get the rubber band off of its paw.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like contacting the Cat Welfare Society is your best bet or another group or invidual with some experiencing trapping. I'd suggest baiting the trap with Kentucky Fried Chicken if you can, skinned and in small pieces. Seems to be irresistable to even the most trap-savvy cats.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other board about ferals discusses trapping more than this one. I have not been successful at catching my trap savvy cat. I would say a really good smelling food would be the key to attracting them.