Need to know Alnutrin (non-calcium) ratio for home-cooked, and daily feeding amount

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't have a lot to add that will help but ... I feed Turkey and some pork. The pork was added only because the turkey became difficult for me to get during the beginnings of covid. At any rate, I used to surface cook the turkey (thighs). It doesn't seem like it but it is quite a bit more work than just feeding raw. My wife helped me make the cat food but when she got sick and could no longer help (sadly, she has since passed away) I started skipping the surface cooking and just raw feeding the turkey (probably 9 or 10 months ago). I never did cook the pork at all. I make his food when I still have food (in freezer) to stay ahead of the game so all newly prepared food is frozen before it's fed to the cat. I don't know if that matters or not. But the transition from partially cooked to raw turkey was seamless. He accepted the change without any issues at all and there was no change in digestion or litter box usage for him at all. I think he prefers the turkey completely raw as well but that's just a guess. Of course all cats are different. This has just been my experience for what it's worth.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Domino's Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Condolences about your wife.

Any type of cooking, even surface-cooking really does add time and effort! I'm hoping my cat will be able to get back to raw soon!

darg

Gizmo
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Condolences about your wife.

Any type of cooking, even surface-cooking really does add time and effort! I'm hoping my cat will be able to get back to raw soon!
Yeah, it really does. More clean-up, cool down time before grinding etc. Really glad I don't do it any more. Really, the only difference I can see between surface cooking is in the event that the meat had a high load of bacteria on the surface. I which case, surface cooking would probably help.

Thank you for the condolences.