Need suggestions

Princekitty19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone I just brought home my first kitten yesterday and he is scared to death of EVERYTHING. He is 10 weeks old and was not socialized very well before I got him. The lady that I bought him from was a older single lady who lived alone with her cats and said that she rarely had company over to her house so her cats/kittens were only use to her. When I went inside to see the kittens they scattered everywhere and it was a challenge getting the one I wanted to see, it involved several people and moving of lots of furniture. This was a red flag and maybe I should have walked away but when I looked into his little eyes I just couldnt leave without him. When I tried to hold him he was terrified and just wanted to get away so I eventually just let him go while we discussed other kittens but I decided to buy him so the hunt was on again. I have him set up in my bathroom with his litterbox and other supplies but he is terrified and runs every chance he gets to find a place to hide. I bought him a little tunnel to hide/play in and that seems to be his safe zone. I know he will need time to adjust but is there anything that I can do to make him trust me? I have tried feeding him by hand while sitting on the floor and he would not eat until I put it down. I got him to play with a wand toy for a few seconds but someone made a noise that startled him and he went back into hiding. I have only had him for one day. I'm attaching a picture that I just took so that you all can see how cute he is :)

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
AW709984_00.gif
Princekitty19, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
6b0761785619f5d03bafcffc9be0400b.gif
to both of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

What a cute little boy you have here! :redheartpump: :hearthrob:

It is normal that your kitty feels this way as this is a new environment to him and in time to come, he'll get use to the place.

Here are some important articles for you to read :-

first-time-cat-owners-guide.33669
bringing-home-a-new-cat-the-complete-guide.29657
new-cat-checklist-what-you-need-to-get-before-bringing-kitty-home.32695
how-to-help-a-new-cat-adjust-to-your-home.32804
kitten-proofing-your-home-13-practical-tips.33888
how-to-choose-the-best-toy-for-your-cat.30336
how-to-make-your-home-bigger-at-least-for-your-cats.33678
10-must-know-tips-for-happy-living-with-a-shy-cat.32735
how-long-can-you-leave-your-cat-alone-for.32402
cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397
household-chemicals-and-your-cats.29641
why-you-should-spay-and-neuter-your-cats.22304

And many more interesting and important articles here :- ams

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for adopting him! I understand that it can be worrisome when a new kitty doesn’t seem ready to interact- but, after some time and patience, he will warm up to you, I’m sure. For now, let him approach you on his own terms. Hang out quietly in a room with him, so that he can get used to your presence. You can even read to him, so that he can become accustomed to the sound of your voice. And give him some of your clothes to cuddle with, so that he can recognize your scent.

Leomc123

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
you need time to build trust, be patient with kitty, let kitty come to you and she will soon. Imagine a small kitty looking up to a very tall human, get down low to her level on the floor, when you feed her make sure to rub your scent with your hands into the food and make sure her surroundings is positive not noisy, very calm , let her play on her own around the house, use soft voice tone when talking to her or calling her name. Use a jumper or shirt that you always wear with your smell on it, and place food near it, so she will associate your smell with good things = food while she is eating.

When she comes to you , just stand there with no sudden movements until she is willing to touch you, when she touches you, let her do what she needs to do, rub her head, tap her paw on you, and do nothing for the first few times she does this, then as she gets use to you then very slowly pat her with one finger . Then gradually allow more petting as she allows.

It takes patience :)