Need Suggestions For An "escape Proof Harness"

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can anyone recommend an "escape proof" harness for Arnold and Greg?

They LOVE going outside and I take them out daily on harnesses and leads. But they basically wear the harness as a courtesy for me. When they decide they dont want to wear it any more it takes them literally 3 seconds to escape from it. They wrap the lead around an object, pull the lead taut and wriggle backwards out of the harness..... and then vanish until they are ready to come home. We have had a few stressful events looking for them.

This is the harness we use Come With Me Kitty™ Cat Harness & Bungee Leash

It has an adjustable loop that slips over the head and two straps that fit behind the front legs and snap together on top of the cat's back. It gives the cat freedom of movement, great for mobility and comfort and gets great reviews, but as a cat has no shoulder blades, it can wriggle backwards and slide the harness over its shoulders and head.

These are large cats, about 20 lbs and it seems most cat harnesses are too tight for them, a small dog harness is often a better fit. But dog harnesses seem to be even easier for a cat to slip out of. These cats are also long haired, which makes it easier for them to wriggle free.

I dont want to take away one of my boy's favorite activities ("outside time"), but I cant risk loosing them or having them injured when they get free.

Has anyone found a good harness that is difficult for a cat to escape from?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friend makes them from a regular harness, turning it sideways so one strap goes over the back and another down between the front legs. Then she uses a leash to go through the loops both top and bottom and hitches with a carbinier that the leash goes through. The leash is then ONLY around the rib cage and is like a lassoo, it tightens when they pull against it, but only around the ribs. They can't back out no matter how hard they pull. They can't slip out forwards either. Hard to describe in words. Here is how she describes it:

H-style leash, with the chest part removed and replaced with a wide enough band, collar or cut belt that has the choke action so that it tightens around the chest ONLY when they pull themselves to the end of the leash. Pic attached, the leash clips onto the carabiner. May not can find these types of collars anymore, I think they stopped making them, but its doable with other modified belts or collars- it just takes some imagination and engineering. Good luck!"

christines_harness_carbinier.jpg christine_harnesses.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So far I have been trying to modify a typical strap (H? ) harness. Although I've looked at many cat harnesses, the hardest ones to escape from seem to depend on tightly squeezing the cats body, ie a holster type, sort of like a body glove. This would be uncomfortable on the cat and might also cause heat buildup. .our summers can hit high 90s with humidity.

I will look at your suggestions more closely. My last attempt at modifying a strap harness resulted in the cat requiring 4 sec to escape instead of 3 sec.

More work to be done.
20160809_093117.jpg

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I find a walking jacket or vest is better than a harness. They tend to be pricy, but I think most of them are worth the price. You can do an internet search for cat walking vest or cat walking jacket to see different styles. I have some similar to the ones sold by Sturdi, but I got them from a vendor at a cat show, so not exactly the same. I've never had a cat manage to escape from one.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions.

Tried something new today......kinda worked but involves a loop around the neck which im not ok with.

Looks like kitty holster or walking jacket might be next options.

karrotlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat started with the Come with Me Kitty harness as well, but like you mentioned he slithered free from it multiple times. I ordered a custom Mynwood Cat Jacket online - measured my cat according to instructions and sent in the measurements. It wasn't that much more expensive than the non-custom versions. Well worth the price to have a cat happy to walk outside AND know the cat won't escape. I can tell it's more comfortable for him as well as secure, AND it is much easier to put on. :)

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I have read about the mynwood jacket....that maybe an option. I still dont have a solution yet.