Need some urgent advice?

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we think my cat has had issues with his anal sac (sorry for the unpleasant imagery.) He has long hair and often gets dirty when using the litter box, even when we have his hair clipped. And he's had issues with soft stools before. We've had him checked out by the vet and he prescribed fiber, which worked for awhile. We ran out of it and started giving him a probiotic (he had taken it before with no issues) while we waiting for the new fiber to be shipped to us. For the past week, he's been back on his normal fiber. But today, we noticed a pink tinged liquid near the litter box and we looked at his bottom and his butt was sticking out, red, and may have even had puss on it. He didn't appear to be in pain though. And about 30 min later, his bum looked back to normal and still is.

So here's my question. I've been trying to get ahold of my vet but he's booked until tues and they are short handed. They've enlisted the help of another vet practice. One that we actually used to go to. But the vet there I felt totally mishandled my late cat's decline. That's why we switched to the current vet we have. In fact, it's would be not only awkward but painful for me to see her again. I feel like a bad mom not taking him in but I don't trust her as a vet either. I'm emailed my regular vet to see what he thinks but the wait is killing me. Though he seems fine and his backside looks fine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If this is a prolapsed anus, and it is not too severe, it will subside and go back to looking normal. There is the possibility of it not subsiding though and remaining exposed which is not good. If your regular vet will communicate with you and the cat is not in some state of emergency, I would try to wait for the email or phone call back. Discuss it with the vet and see if Tuesday will be an issue. However, you are the one observing your cat's issue and are the only one who can decide if this could be an emergency. It is an issue that I would still address even if it remains stable or goes back in place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bootsm

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If this is a prolapsed anus, and it is not too severe, it will subside and go back to looking normal. There is the possibility of it not subsiding though and remaining exposed which is not good. If your regular vet will communicate with you and the cat is not in some state of emergency, I would try to wait for the email or phone call back. Discuss it with the vet and see if Tuesday will be an issue. However, you are the one observing your cat's issue and are the only one who can decide if this could be an emergency. It is an issue that I would still address even if it remains stable or goes back in place.
I actually did hear back, we're going Sat