Need some urgent advice for catching and caring for a stray kitten...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I work at a place that is predominantly outside and we had a mother cat with kittens on the property at one point. Animal control came and took the cats, but missed one small little kitten. My coworker has been trying to socialize it and care for it, hoping to be able to get it comfortable enough that he can take it in; but is worried about the kitten being discovered and losing his job. Meanwhile, I'm ready to take action, especially since he's worried also he's going to have to let it be, because he still lives under his parent's roof and is struggling to convince them to rescue the kitten.

I know with my cats, I'll have to get a separate kennel, separate litter box and put the kitten in a separate room for a time, assuming I can catch him. I want to take him in for a short period of time, get him off the property and checked out with the vet (our city's pound is not a no-kill place, so we're worried about that) and then find someone that can take him in-either a local foster or rescue.

The kitten has appeared to get slightly comfortable around the coworker, I had him extend his hand out this morning to try and let the kitten sniff his hand; and he got very close to being able to pet the kitten. For a brief moment also, I had him pull a weed and start trying to entice the kitten to play since it appeared to be wanting to play with an object near him on the ground, and the kitten was excited for a moment before going back under it's hiding spot.

The coworker has a mesh fabric kennel thing with a zipper that is hard to close entirely; so I was thinking of buying a small kennel, spraying it with catnip spray and putting some toys along with a can of wet food (which again my coworker was feeding him with, another reason I'd be concerned about just leaving the cat alone)

I'm worried a little bit about bringing it into my apartment because I have no idea what he might have and if Prince or Nikita might catch anything; but with the weekend coming and vets likely closing down for the weekend....still it almost has to be now if we're going to get him in. Maybe I should just use the little fabric kennel already out there? But then need to figure out how to get him in there or even how to keep him calm. Do you have any advice? I'm trying to not only save this kitten but I'd like to keep my coworker from digging a proverbial hole for himself as well, as he's a little concerned that having not come forward about the cat in the first place due to fears of animal control taking it to a kill shelter might cause him to lose his job.

So any advice on how to save this little guy? What needs to be done, how do we go about this? Should I just use the fabric thing, or should I get an actual kennel (not sure my cats' kennels will work because of their scents, though they haven't been in those kennels for nearly a year now)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi do you have access to a net? Those can sometimes be easier because they can move quickly if they become frightened, but anyway, I'd just use the fabric thing, maybe use a cable tie or two to close it more securely, and can you use your bathroom for him, with some cardboard in front of it so he can't escape? It's easier to sanitize if you find that you need to.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi do you have access to a net? Those can sometimes be easier because they can move quickly if they become frightened, but anyway, I'd just use the fabric thing, maybe use a cable tie or two to close it more securely, and can you use your bathroom for him, with some cardboard in front of it so he can't escape? It's easier to sanitize if you find that you need to.
Yeah I'm thinking the net would be easiest. I can put some catnip spray in there and the can of food, and maybe a couple cat toys. I think we're a bit concerned he might rush out the minute we try to close the zipper. I know my coworker might not like it, but I'm thinking we may end up having to tilt the fabric kennel up a little bit right when the kitten gets in there. I know that he's worried about building trust and then hurting that trust; but I think the most important thing is getting the kitten out of the area first, and then I can work on building that trust at home. While working on that trust building and socialization, either my coworker can convince his parents to take the cat in or I'll get in touch with some rescue groups or foster groups if I can find any in the area.

Certainly putting something in front of the bathroom door might help. That, or the closet. I wouldn't want the kitten rushing out with Prince and Nikita right there. Not sure how my cats would actually be.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
but I think the most important thing is getting the kitten out of the area first, and then I can work on building that trust at home. While working on that trust building and socialization, either my coworker can convince his parents to take the cat in or I'll get in touch with some rescue groups or foster groups if I can find any in the area.
I'm with you - tell him that the kitten might act frightened of him at first after the separation, but will remember him very quickly.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm with you - tell him that the kitten might act frightened of him at first after the separation, but will remember him very quickly.
For sure, especially if he's able to convince his parents to take the cat in. They may be more accepting of it if someone else has done the "hard work". I know he really wants to take the kitten in, even has given it a name.

I'm actually thinking the closet might be better than the bathroom. Maybe. The bathroom, Nikita constantly goes in there and just loves it. As does Prince from time to time. Of course I am now in an apartment where I have a bedroom door, but I'm not sure how helpful separating my cats and this kitten via main room and bedroom would be......

Perhaps bathroom would be best. No idea if 10 to 12 weeks is old enough for a kitten to start spraying. I know I'll have to get it spayed/neutered straightaway, along with the primary vet checkup.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a little nervous about how Prince and Nikita will react at first. I know that since I got her, Nikita has literally NEVER hissed, not even at Prince. She came from a foster home where there were other animals and people around. Prince, if you remember, was young when I got him-5 months-and when I brought Nikita home....I set her kennel down with the door closed and he hissed something fierce, which shocked me because I'd never seen him hiss. This was about five years ago.

Now, the pair are best buds; but since moving to Houston, all they've known is me and each other. So I don't know how even Nikita might react if I brought another animal into this apartment. I'm going to try the socialization process, I think I'll start with the kitten in the closet instead of bathroom because the clothes should be high enough and my cats don't go into the closet as much as the bathroom.....and possibly, since my cats often sleep on the bed with me at night, maybe having the kitten in the closet at night will also help them.

Then again, maybe bathroom; because part of that process does involve swapping the animals......so locking Prince and Nikita in the closet whenever it comes time to let the kitten out might be a little problematic.

I would say I've never done this, but of course I did this with Prince and Nikita; but the difference is Nikita was at least a year old, already spayed, and used to other animals. It didn't take long for Prince to accept her and vice versa, they were able to be out in the same room together within a few days. This is a stray kitten, so young that it hasn't been neutered and has been away from it's family now for maybe a month.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be concerned about any illnesses or that sort of thing which is one of the reasons I was thinking the bathroom, at least until he gets to the vet. Your kitties can wait that long without access :)

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah I was having that same thought with whether or not the kitten might have illnesses or problems. With the Vets closing on the weekend, I'd have to wait until Monday-which I already have Nikita scheduled for a new appointment with a new veterinarian....

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, thanks. Yeah I'm really wanting to save this kitten. There is a rescue group in the area called HART, that maybe I can get them to help somehow or get advice from, but certainly, just gotta get this kitten in a better environment first

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you get the kitten too. I usually used the bathroom for new arrivals because it is easy to clean and since I am in and out, the kitty will learn I am a safe person. I have taken in quite a few and a vet check is something needed. I have used cages and kennels to help me through having many here at once. Covering it with a light sheet will keep kitty from being as nervous. If kitty is not social enough to be put in the kennel to bring her home from where she is now, a trap can usually be borrowed or rented. A rescue group might be helpful with that and with information. Some groups help with immunizations and spay or neuter discounts too. Most groups are pretty busy so you may need to contact them more than once but getting that kitten as soon as possible is first priority. Once the kitten is safe, maybe you and the co worker can unite to help socialize kitten until he gets permission to keep her/him? Also, your cat may actually learn to love the kitten too. It has happened here more than once. ;)

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
AHH I wanted to give an update, but I hadn't gotten around to it. My coworker had his heart set on the little kitten and shortly after posting this thread, he was able to convince his parents to let him at least bring the kitten in. He managed to be able to pick the kitten up and take it home, and from what I hear, within a day his parents were in love with the little cat too. So it seems all is well. He took the cat to the vet, had him checked out and was able to find no illnesses or anything and is quite enamored with the little guy, which he named Sylvester. That said, I'm glad Sylvester found a home, and it seems the kitten is quite happy. Young enough too that it appears to be adapting rather well to his new home.

This was the ideal solution. I had called Pet Supermarkets near me and they got me in touch with a facebook group dealing with rescues and fosters for cats in my area, but I was truly hoping that little Sylvester would be able to make a home with my coworker; and that is what happened.

Sorry to be so late with the update, but all is well that ends well!