Need some suggestions from you fine people...

elinor

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard that if you put moth balls in the garden it keeps them out. Also I think there are outdoor repellants you can buy and spray around the garden.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Bonehead's mom
How can I keep the neighborhood cats from using my garden as their own personal litter box? I am starting a wildflower garden and they are having a field day!
Hi BH Mom,
Here are a few more suggestions for your cat problem:
1) Cayenne Pepper- Sprinkle it around the soil where the cats are walking. It's intensely unpleasant but not harmful.

2) Vinegar- Spray a vinegar/water solution around the base of your acid loving plants

3) Orange Peels- Sprinkle around shrubs and plants or grind in a blender to release more of the oils, mix with water and spray. Cats hate the citrus almost as much as the vinegar

4) Mothballs- Scatter around the bed area

5) Rocks- No, don't throw them (although that would be effective as well). Put a layer of rough surfaced rocks as a mulch in among the plants. Cats don't like the wear and tear on their tender foot pads. Pine bark mulch will work much the same way as well; you might even try the newer Eucalyptus mulch which is also an effectve pest control for the multi-legged variety.

6) Motion detector water spray- View it at
http://smarthome.com/6120.html

Hope some of these are of some help.

Pete

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bonehead's mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like the idea of the Cayenne pepper...effective, but not harmful to plants or animals. I feel awful about these cats next door. There is alot of inbredding and I don't think any of them have had shots. People like this make me sick! If you can't care for an animal properly you shouldn't have it!

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
PLEASE use caution with mothballs. The fumes from mothballs can permanently damage a cats kidneys. You can use white onions or orange peels as long as you change them out so the scent is fresh.

hattkatts

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Bonehead's mom
I like the idea of the Cayenne pepper...effective, but not harmful to plants or animals. I feel awful about these cats next door. There is a lot of inbreeding and I don't think any of them have had shots. People like this make me sick! If you can't care for an animal properly you shouldn't have it!
Yup, and they are the type to become the most offended and offensive if you say anything! A discrete phone call might help solve the problem.

Pete