Need Some Reassurance On Feral Cat

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I TNR'd this handsome boy and was really hopeful he would come around and be okay once inside. I pet him when he was still affected by the anesthesia after surgery, but the second he came around he was WILD and flailing in the trap and freaking out when I even came into the room. So I let him back outside where he lived his whole life. He is an older boy. Anyway I am moving out of state on Monday and I really feel guilty leaving him. He rarely comes around. Once every couple weeks for a day or two and then I don't see him for awhile. So he is obviously eating elsewhere. After being hopeful he would come around and be friendly, I am disappointed that I have to leave him behind.

I did all I could. Neuter, microchip which I registered, full vaccines. I did more then most people right? I hate that I will never see him again. But he is a California cat. He has been here his whole life. And my dream of giving him a warm comfy bed to sleep in are just not his dreams. Maybe if I had more time.

It helped to just type out my feelings. Lol. I feel silly, I get so attached to a feral cat who only likes me when I leave food out for him. But at least he is chipped and ear tipped. So people know he is neutered at least. And if he ever is trapped and scanned I would know when they call me. So ugh. Sorry. Here is his picture for fun. I have posted about him here before. Thanks for listening to my rambling.
49645502_10107683673019704_5791760598337323008_n.jpg
Jonesy1.jpg

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry you are dealing with this. :alright:Make sure the local vets know he is there and where you can be found. He’s a real beauty. I would talk to the neighbors too. If you could find where else he is hanging out, you might feel better. If you know who is moving in your old place, maybe you can get reports on him that way. You can always stash some notes around the place to be found by new occupants! :) Notes in a bottle kind of thing? A forwarding number included! Maybe even that photo of him and his story. It might touch someone’s heart. If I moved there, it would make me watch out for him. You could even put some cat food stashed away there. If you have a landlord, maybe they will cooperate. If not, I’d definitely stash some message bottles around. In the bushes, under the counters, in the cabinets, grill, garage, attic, storage, washing machine, dryer...... anywhere and everywhere. Write one note and make copies if need be. Tape one under counters too. A secret message for the magic cat that lives nearby! Maybe some magic will happen to turn things around. I certainly hope so. I can understand how I would feel if I had to leave one. Maybe he’ll show up before Monday and you can ask him one more time to stay with you. :heartshape:
Good luck on the move and on any preparations you may be able to make for kitty before leaving. Good luck to kitty too!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely did more then most, you gave him a better chance at life. I know how you feel, I just this morning picked up a little stray whom I had neutered and vaccinated, 170.00. Not complaining, I know I'll save that much without litter after litter of unwanted kittens, but it hurts still the same knowing the chances are very high of her getting killed on our street where SO many have. I just picked one off the road I had been feeding for 7 years. It hurts, but the ferals are happiest outside, they have never known any other way. I keep looking for good homes, but boy are they hard to find. I had her a home twice and didn't go through with it after seeing the living conditions. Noe confining her I find she is NOT used to being inside like I thought, she is very upset.
You have done all you can to make it easier for him, you did well. Cats don't worry about tomorrow, they live in the moment, and so should you. Thank you and bless you for doing what you did!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for helping me deal with it better. I feel sad I won't likely ever see him again. The likelihood of someone even trapping him and scanning him and calling me is so so very slim even. But I agree he is a seasoned feral and probably has many places to go for food and many great hiding places. Hopefully he stops fighting other cats now that he is neutered. The place I am moving out of is a condo complex. My now ex bf is staying behind but I don't think he will look out for the little guy like I did. I always check for him and I don't think he will. I just feel bad that the rare occasion he comes around for a meal I won't ever come out anymore and give him one. That kills me! haha. The landlord is a dumbass and all the people here speak Chinese, not to mention the fact that I don't know any of the neighbors anyway.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Have you contacted any local cat rescues or feral cat groups? You might see if one is close enough to you who has someone who might be tending to a colony and might come to check for your boy and feed him. You have done way more than most would have done for him and the neutering has given him a fair chance at a peaceful life.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think all the previous advice is great. You have to know that no matter what, you improved his life greatly. You made it easy for him to live as a free kitty. Freedom to be with nature is a marvelous thing. I could use a little more of that. Don’t discount others watching him. There are lots of us quiet kitty helpers out there. We don’t always tell what we are doing. Some because of the risk of criticism, some are just engrossed in what they are doing and some think it’s just better that way. I help kitties every day and yet the people nearest to me physically know little about me. I bet there is someone already looking out for him since you don’t see him often. ;):heartshape:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have neutered boys and ferals that come to eat, the ferals are constantly getting abscesses, have ears torn off, gaping wounds and eyes gone. The neutered boys are MUCH more healthy and very rarely get hurt. The big toms just sniff their way when they get together and go about their business, no posturing and fighting. You have given him a MUCH better life!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you are doing the right thing by leaving him behind in his familiar territory and life. It's very likely someone or a few people are feeding him. I don't know about leaving notes in a bottle, but have you spoken with any of your neighbors to find out who has been caring for him? I have always communicated with the neighbors on my block about the cats we have cared for, and it has been very helpful. You could probably learn a lot about him, and it would give you peace of mind.