Need Some Moral Support Please !

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Very short version - a rescue situation has triggered my anxiety and brought back a lot of memories of situations that didn't end well despite all my efforts.

I've gone from the outspoken champion of the underdog to a crying, fearful, ruminating puddle. (the trigger happened about 24 hours ago.)

If you can share something that works for you when you feel panicked, it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you !

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

From @les26 use Holy Basil for stress, L-Tryptophan for mood and also the homeopathic remedy Ignatia Amara under the tongue for acute grief and shock, they always seem to help and are not drugs with side effects.

Can you immerse yourself in something completely different? Can you exercise, try deep breathing, use music.

Either use classical for the awesome beauty of it to lift yourself out of the pool of negativity, or even country songs to literally make yourself really weep for those babies. Then when you're drained dry, find your strength again, pick yourself up and give 'em heck again.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was taught to stop and take a deep breath. Regulate your breathing. Consciously relax your muscles. Really think about which muscles are tight.
I go outside and look up at the sky as I take that deep breath. I try to be out there a couple of minutes by myself. Sometimes it works better for me at night when the whole world is quiet.
If you can lay down and have some soft music playing, concentrate on your body. Start at the tip of your toes and relax them. Slowly work up to your feet, then ankles, lower leg and so on until you get to the top of your head. If you can focus this way, by the time you get to the top, you find that you are more relaxed. It may take a little practice. Breath slow and even.
I find the breathing and muscle relaxing does start to help. Don’t give up. Many here have the same sort of feelings. High stress and tears can be a part of caring for others. It will pass. Remember, you will get through this. Big sigh and deep breath. You seem to know your trigger. Maybe talking it would help too. I can’t tell you how many times I have cried over a struggle or loss of one I had put my heart into. You are not alone in this. Love from us can help too. Sending it to you. My shoulder is very good at absorbing tears if you need a tissue. :alright::vibes::redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!

From @les26 use Holy Basil for stress, L-Tryptophan for mood and also the homeopathic remedy Ignatia Amara under the tongue for acute grief and shock, they always seem to help and are not drugs with side effects.

Can you immerse yourself in something completely different? Can you exercise, try deep breathing, use music.

Either use classical for the awesome beauty of it to lift yourself out of the pool of negativity, or even country songs to literally make yourself really weep for those babies. Then when you're drained dry, find your strength again, pick yourself up and give 'em heck again.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I have been playing classical music - for me and the cats - and it seems to help.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was taught to stop and take a deep breath. Regulate your breathing. Consciously relax your muscles. Really think about which muscles are tight.
I go outside and look up at the sky as I take that deep breath. I try to be out there a couple of minutes by myself. Sometimes it works better for me at night when the whole world is quiet.
If you can lay down and have some soft music playing, concentrate on your body. Start at the tip of your toes and relax them. Slowly work up to your feet, then ankles, lower leg and so on until you get to the top of your head. If you can focus this way, by the time you get to the top, you find that you are more relaxed. It may take a little practice. Breath slow and even.
I find the breathing and muscle relaxing does start to help. Don’t give up. Many here have the same sort of feelings. High stress and tears can be a part of caring for others. It will pass. Remember, you will get through this. Big sigh and deep breath. You seem to know your trigger. Maybe talking it would help too. I can’t tell you how many times I have cried over a struggle or loss of one I had put my heart into. You are not alone in this. Love from us can help too. Sending it to you. My shoulder is very good at absorbing tears if you need a tissue. :alright::vibes::redheartpump:

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you thank you thank you for the caring and great suggestions. I have been deep breathing, but not often enough. And I'll give the muscle relaxation a try - especially when my mind gets to whirling. Going outside and being with nature has been my lifeline. And the offer of a tissue and shoulder is appreciated more than you know.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Easier said than done but I try to think that whatever bad situation I find myself in, I try to realise that I always get through it and emerge at the other end more or less intact albeit, maybe, with some emotional scars that fade with time hopefully.
I don't mean really really bad stuff, that's another issue.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The situation - knock wood - has had a good resolution and I'm all but levitating from relief. Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'll keep them at the ready for the next time. Rescue/advocacy ain't for the faint of heart, is it.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The situation - knock wood - has had a good resolution and I'm all but levitating from relief. Thank you all so much for the suggestions. I'll keep them at the ready for the next time. Rescue/advocacy ain't for the faint of heart, is it.

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet! I too went through extreme anxiety going thru some TNR issues.
You did the right thing by coming here, It was friends that helped get me through it. Also I know when I get like that I am so focused on the issue that I go down a deep hole, I had to look at the big picture, just like you everything worked out.
Caring for animals makes a huge impact on those that care, We can help each other tho!

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sweet! I too went through extreme anxiety going thru some TNR issues.
You did the right thing by coming here, It was friends that helped get me through it. Also I know when I get like that I am so focused on the issue that I go down a deep hole, I had to look at the big picture, just like you everything worked out.
Caring for animals makes a huge impact on those that care, We can help each other tho!
100% true. It's only knowing that there are other like minded people out there that's kept me sane. And speaking of the big picture........... when I look up and see a bird, I take it as a reminder to look at the big picture. Thanks for caring and replying.

Graceful-Lily

Extraterrestrial Being
Top Cat
Purraise
I can relate 100%. I've gotten into the habit of watching comedy specials or funny videos online. It helps if they talk about something educational like climate change or whatever. If you laugh and learn something at the same time, I usually feel better about what was stressing me by the time the video is done.

I also eat at the same time so that I get all my senses focused on something else and get out of my head.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can relate 100%. I've gotten into the habit of watching comedy specials or funny videos online. It helps if they talk about something educational like climate change or whatever. If you laugh and learn something at the same time, I usually feel better about what was stressing me by the time the video is done.

I also eat at the same time so that I get all my senses focused on something else and get out of my head.
Great suggestions. I do rely on old comedy favorites for distraction and am usually snacking at the same time.