Need some help: what is this bug in dry cat food?

luceven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this site, nice to meet everyone:)
I found this bug (pictures attached) in the leftover cat food in Ravioli's bowl, I was just going to trash and wash the bowl and feed him. I searched a lot online but got no answer. I don't know if it's from the bag of cat food or it crawled inside the bowl since there's leftover. I've pulled the food out of bag and checked but found nothing. I'm pretty worried if there are eggs in the cat food :(
I actually found a dead body of this bug on my desk two weeks ago (a little smaller than this one), since it looks like flea I gave my cat a bath with flea-tick treatment shampoo. From yesterday's observation, unlike flea this bug was round, crawling rather than hopping, and couldn't fly.
Thanks if anyone can help!
1612288208458.png

1612288225418.png

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luceven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like a tick to me😱
j
omg, I never think of tick. I'll do some research
I've checked my cat but didn't find anything like this bug on his body

luceven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like a tick to me😱
j
Would it be possible for an indoor cat to get tick? He was never out since born, according to his foster and the shelter, and during the time with me he's always in my apartment.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Ticks have eight legs - I don't see eight legs in that pic, or am I mistaken? The appendages toward the head look like antennae. If that is true, then it wouldn't be a tick. Maybe take a look at these articles (links below) to see if that sheds any light on what bug it might be.
Also, if your area/county has an agricultural group, you could contact them and send a pic of this bug, they might know what it is.
6 Common Bugs That Look Like Ticks – But Aren't (proshieldpest.com)
The Most Common Bugs That Look Like Ticks | INSECT COP

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whatever it is, it probably got into the bag at the warehouse. Don't worry about your cat eating the eggs. His digestive system will kill them because it isn't a parasite.

Your county extension agent should be able to identify it - if you're in the US.

luceven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Ticks have eight legs - I don't see eight legs in that pic, or am I mistaken? The appendages toward the head look like antennae. If that is true, then it wouldn't be a tick. Maybe take a look at these articles (links below) to see if that sheds any light on what bug it might be.
Also, if your area/county has an agricultural group, you could contact them and send a pic of this bug, they might know what it is.
6 Common Bugs That Look Like Ticks – But Aren't (proshieldpest.com)
The Most Common Bugs That Look Like Ticks | INSECT COP
Hi, thanks for those helpful links! Unfortunately non of the bugs looks like this one...
That bug has six legs for sure, and you're right with antennae. I'm so glad it was not tick.

luceven

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Whatever it is, it probably got into the bag at the warehouse. Don't worry about your cat eating the eggs. His digestive system will kill them because it isn't a parasite.

Your county extension agent should be able to identify it - if you're in the US.
Thank you! I'll seek some help from them.