Need Some Help On What I Can Get For A 90 Year Old Man To Do

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father is 90, and about all he likes to do these days is either color posters or play games on a Kindle. My sister and I would love to find him something that might be similar enough to coloring posters that he would enjoy. We've run out of posters to get for him, and he only likes to do the animal ones.

So if anyone has anything they can suggest, I'd love to hear it.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
There are great themed coloring books that can be had at Michael's or JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, or a bookstore, or perhaps even WalMart or Target. Even online. They have ones of cats, jungle animals, pets, just about animal them eyou can think of.

Does he have friends he could play Words with Friends with? That would b good mental stimulation. A lot more expensive would be those paint by number kits. You can even get photos made into kits.

He might even like punch needle work because it creates a great picture. Most hobby stores have them.

If his hands are steady, he might enjoy building models, especially of old military craft. Again, you'll find a good selection at the hobby stores.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Jigsaw puzzles are similar.. matching colours and shapes, but you would need to set it up so it was doable. They're online as well, of course.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are great themed coloring books that can be had at Michael's or JoAnn's, Hobby Lobby, or a bookstore, or perhaps even WalMart or Target. Even online. They have ones of cats, jungle animals, pets, just about animal them eyou can think of.
:yeah: Maybe you could find some adult coloring books that don't have really complicated pictures. Also for mental stimulation, would your dad enjoy a book that has a variety of puzzles, word games, mazes, word search and etc? I have seen some of these in larger sizes

Last edited by a moderator:

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Mother Dragon Mother Dragon about the punch kits! I used to the love the over-under stitch kits that used small bits of yarn and a hook to create an image. It would be a good way for him to help sharpen his fine motor skills too. :)

On his Kindle, they have "paint" by number apps that you tap on a color and then the corresponding number to create an image. Maybe look into those as well?

If he likes animals, see if he would like to go hang out in the kitten or puppy room at your local humane society. They always need volunteers to socialize the animals or read to them!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was at a Tandy leather store today and saw some leather braiding kits, and they also had Celtic design coloring books...

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
If he likes animals, how about an animal coloring book? Doesn't have to be adult.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My grandfather used to love making match stick models. I'm not sure how steady and nimble your father's hands are but they do take a bit more time to complete so you won't have to go out and get more all the time.
Would he enjoy playing with legos? They make lego kits of all sorts of things like the White House, Big Ben and other famous land marks. I recently made one of the "Big Bang Theory" (TV show), it was fun. There are other brands too, so it doesn't have to be specifically the "Lego" brand only. My husband made one of a helicopter from "Call of Duty" (video game).

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This is totally different than what you were asking about, but is there a Senior Center or Council on Aging in the town he lives that has activities? The "senior shuttle" picks my 86 year-old mother up twice a week for Bingo. They have other activities as well, like cards, light exercise classes, etc.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a relaxing motion to the coloring. Any chance he could wood burn designs and then color those? What about stenciling? You can stencil on all sorts of things. You might try some pastels. I prefer the oil based ones because I don’t like the texture of the chalk ones. You can get printed canvas that already has a design. They can be colored, painted or done with markers.
Water color pencils are nice too. They come in regular, intense color and even metallic now. My Dad is also 90. I wish he would do something relaxing like that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you all, there are some really good ideas in here for us to consider. I like the idea of the punch kit, maybe I'll start with sending him a couple of those to see how he likes them.

I need to make a list when I'm more awake tomorrow.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a list from everyone's suggestions and running it past my sister (who is up there with him). She said he did say he might like to try the diamond dot things she does, so I am going to look to see if I can find some that look easy. He used to do paint by numbers, but I think his eyesight isn't as good as it used to be. He like the posters that don't have a lot of detail for that reason.

There isn't a very good senior center when he lives, and he would love to hang out with cats and/or dogs, but he's allergic. There are people in the neighborhood he visits who have pets and one woman fosters kittens, but he can't spend a lot of time with them.

He might like the legos, but doesn't have a place to set up (small apartment).

Other than that, still a work in progress

Puzzles
Coloring Books
Paint by number
Needle punch
Word games
Latch hook
Paint by number app
Hang out with cats
Leather braiding kits
Make models
Lego kits