Need Some Help In Getting My Cat's Confidence Back After New Cat's Arrival

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A new cat visitor came to my house coming up on three weeks ago and hasn't left since. There's a bit of information on him in these two threads:

Storm Ophelia And A Stray Cat
Litter Tray Question

My cat, Scraggles, is not terribly happy with the set up as it is now and I feel so awful for him. I've been keeping both cats indoors quite a bit since kitty's arrival, firstly because of Ophelia and secondly because of Hallowe'en. These cats are so different in temperament, and to be fair to them both, it's only when kitty gets too close that Scraggles will growl and claw.

My main concern, at the moment, is that Scraggles no longer sleeps in the bed at night. Kitty sleeps in the bed, and as long as he's there, Scraggles would rather sleep on the floor or on his windowsill perch behind the bed. I know he wants to sleep on the bed but no amount of coaxing will convince him it's O.K. to do so. Last night he curled up on a slipper on the floor as close as he could to my head but wouldn't actually climb up on the bed.

I've to wait another week before the vet will neuter new kitty – I'm going to see if I can get it done even a little earlier as I do think this will help the situation enormously – but is there anything else I can be doing in the meantime to help Scraggles?

Both cats are male, Scraggles is neutered. Vet puts kitty's age at about a year old, Scraggles is about three or four. I've also bought Feliway and have it plugged in in the bedroom. They do sometimes sleep on the bed together during the day now, but it's a different story at night. Do I just need time and patience?

Poor Scraggles, I don't want him feeling as though I'm abandoning him.

Day time kitty cats below... :hearthrob: :greenpaw:

IMG_20171031_115240.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Scraggles will adjust and get back to his normal sleeping space but it may take awhile. If he likes cuddling, make sure he is getting enough one to one time with you. And you can try rubbing your forehead on his forehead, a cat way of saying “you are mine”. This gesture worked wonders on one of mine who became very withdrawn after losing her best friend and another cat coming in. Once I started doing this several times a day she just blossomed back to her old self.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scraggles

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank-you for that susanm9006! - Scraggles isn't a cuddly cat as such, but he's got much more of a sensitive soul than he lets on. I did get stuck on the bed yesterday for ages, though, as he did decide to lie beside me and I didn't have it in my heart to move - luckily I didn't have to be anywhere too urgently.

I've a few days off from work at the moment so have some time to work with him - will definitely be trying the forehead rubbing. :catrub: