Need some help getting started on a mostly vegetarian diet :-)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Chili is very serious business here in Texas, so there's no way I could get away with making a meatless version. We're funny that way. But if I call it soup instead, that would probably work. :biggrin:
I've made a chili using the Gardein ground round.

1611836262328.png

I did accidentally stumble across a recipe that my family liked a lot. I had some leftover lentils in the freezer that I was trying to use up. So I just warmed them up, added barbecue sauce and caramelized onions, served it on hamburger buns, and told everyone they were Sloppy Joes. No one seemed to notice anything amiss. :)
Oh, I forgot about lentils! Besides sloppy Joes, there's Lentil Soup and Lentil Loaf. And using caramelized onions, there's a ton of various recipes for Mujaddara.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you currently, or are you able to grow your own vegetables?
While I may not be a vegetarian, I do know a bit of the psychology behind gardening (sometimes we get interested in the strangest topics). It says that people are more likely to eat something if they've grown it themselves. Whether this is a pride thing, knowing that they were grown without hormones, or that they'll be as fresh as they can possibly be when you pick them, either way it can help increase your veggie intake as well as save you time and money running to the store.
On top of all that, there's the added benefit of exercise that comes with gardening, as well as a positive time consuming activity, which during this pandemic we could all use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've made a chili using the Gardein ground round.

View attachment 368227

Oh, I forgot about lentils! Besides sloppy Joes, there's Lentil Soup and Lentil Loaf. And using caramelized onions, there's a ton of various recipes for Mujaddara.
Oh, gosh! I love, love, LOVE caramelized onions, especially in fish and avocado tacos! Maybe I'll try baking or pan-frying some tofu and see if that will work as a decent substitute for the fish -- or an indecent one. :wink:

That chili...er, I mean "soup" looks good. Just curious...how does the ground Gardein meat substitute compare to MorningStar's crumbles? My family hated the MorningStar version.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of square cornbread, as we need to cut back on the use of my much beloved and well-seasoned cast iron skillets. *sobs*

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you currently, or are you able to grow your own vegetables?
While I may not be a vegetarian, I do know a bit of the psychology behind gardening (sometimes we get interested in the strangest topics). It says that people are more likely to eat something if they've grown it themselves. Whether this is a pride thing, knowing that they were grown without hormones, or that they'll be as fresh as they can possibly be when you pick them, either way it can help increase your veggie intake as well as save you time and money running to the store.
On top of all that, there's the added benefit of exercise that comes with gardening, as well as a positive time consuming activity, which during this pandemic we could all use.
We've had gardens off and on over the years, with varying degrees of success. But it's just more trouble than it's worth right now. Heck, I can barely keep up with the regular yard work, and the grass and weeds are currently in a semi-dormant stage! :paperbag:

I have thought about growing some fresh herbs though, and maybe some green onions. I just haven't gotten past the thinking stage. ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just curious...how does the ground Gardein meat substitute compare to MorningStar's crumbles? My family hated the MorningStar version.
I've never tried the MorningStar crumbles, but I prefer Gardein to Yves. It's been so long, though, since I've had real ground round, that I can no longer remember exactly what it's like. But I think the veggie crumbles tend to be more chewy.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the idea of square cornbread, as we need to cut back on the use of my much beloved and well-seasoned cast iron skillets. *sobs*
I've never had a cast iron skillet, but it's something I've often thought about buying one. As for square cornbread, baking it in a round cake pan could give you the same look at your skillet baked.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never tried the MorningStar crumbles, but I prefer Gardein to Yves. It's been so long, though, since I've had real ground round, that I can no longer remember exactly what it's like. But I think the veggie crumbles tend to be more chewy.

I've never had a cast iron skillet, but it's something I've often thought about buying one. As for square cornbread, baking it in a round cake pan could give you the same look at your skillet baked.
Okey-dokey. I'll give the ground beef substitutes another try. Thanks!

I do have a deep pie dish that might work. If it doesn't...well, I guess I could try making fried cornbread in a stainless steel skillet. *sobs some more*

Cast iron cookware is awesome! But it does require a bit of TLC to keep the seasoning (the glossy black patina) in tip top condition. If you do decide to buy a cast iron skillet, just don't do this: :crackup:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Okey-dokey. I'll give the ground beef substitutes another try. Thanks!
I think using it in a recipe with a lot of favour, like chili, might be best, as I find the faux round can have a bit of a maybe soy, or just processed, taste, more so than the chick'n strips, which I love. In the chili, though, I don't notice it.

Cast iron cookware is awesome! But it does require a bit of TLC to keep the seasoning (the glossy black patina) in tip top condition. If you do decide to buy a cast iron skillet, just don't do this: :crackup:
LOL. That was hilarious. :lol:

Oh, and it just dawned on me why you won't be using your cast IRON skillet anymore. :doh:

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think using it in a recipe with a lot of favour, like chili, might be best, as I find the faux round can have a bit of a maybe soy, or just processed, taste, more so than the chick'n strips, which I love. In the chili, though, I don't notice it.

LOL. That was hilarious. :lol:

Oh, and it just dawned on me why you won't be using your cast IRON skillet anymore. :doh:
I tend to use lots of spices and peppers when I cook, so hopefully that experience will come in handy when using commercially prepared meat substitutes :wink:

We did think it odd that so many members of our families developed cirrhosis, even though they didn't drink. However, these sorts of things do happen, like people who develop lung cancer who have never smoked a day in their lives. Then a relative recently sought a second opinion, and to make a long story short, both sides of our family have a genetic mutation that predisposes our bodies to absorb too much iron. That's when we decided to really get serious about eating a more plant based diet. It would be helpful because non-heme iron is not as readily absorbed as heme iron, and because it's just a darned good idea anyway for a variety of health reasons. :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Usually it's low iron that you hear about, but I have read before of people who absorb too much. Has your family looked into Therapeutic Phlebotomy?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually it's low iron that you hear about, but I have read before of people who absorb too much. Has your family looked into Therapeutic Phlebotomy?
Relatives who have actually developed the disorder are currently undergoing therapeutic phlebotomy, the frequency of which is determined by their lab work and other diagnostic testing. The rest of us just have the genetic mutation, at least at this point, and we'd like to keep it that way. Hence, our sudden interest in cutting back on heme sources of iron -- and my much beloved cast iron cookware. ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hope your relatives who have developed the disorder are able to get it under control, and that the rest of you can avoid it with your dietary changes. :crossfingers: