Need some experienced voices to help with decision about a semi-feral kitten

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Scenario: I have a bunch of feral cats who live in a farmer's barn nearby. I usually provide food and water and some warm bedding for the winter. Currently, I have 4-5 cats who come in for food but sleep elsewhere. They are not part of a colony and drop by alone. In the summer, I discovered one had given birth but we were about to go on vacation so I left them alone. Usually, I TNR all the cats that visit me. After vacation, the mommy cat was trapped, spayed and returned. The kitten was now about 6 weeks old and very skittish. I tried to trap it but had no success. Now, the kitten is about 4 months old and very used to me feeding it. The mother cat comes around twice a day but she seems to be discouraging the kitten from hanging out with her. The kitten has now allowed me to touch her and pet her but is still skittish.
I have two older cats (12 and 11 year olds) indoors. One of them has lung cancer but is living a comfortable life. He also gets easily stressed out and marks a lot of areas in our home when he senses change and stress. However, he adjusted to his "brother" 11 years ago despite a lot of angst on his part.
My Solution: I want to adopt the semi-feral kitten and make him an indoor cat. I just don't think it is a good idea given the age and condition of one our own cats. On the other hand, I feel the kitten won't have much of a fighting chance with other males (I think it's a male) outside, diseases, etc. I just want to give it a chance to live out its life with us. My practical side says not to take it in because of our resident cats, as well as young kids in the house. My emotional side says to take the kitten in.
Question: Need some experienced cat lovers to chime in, please.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know you will need to spay/neuter the kitten. Why don't you foster the kitten after the surgery and evaluate how kitten and resident cat both cope. If the kitten tames but your resident cat is reluctant or stressed out, you can adopt the kitten out. If the kitten doesn't tame, you can release back. You would have to do an extremely slow introduction though, separating them from each other for a good while.

tnrmakessense

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Scenario: I have a bunch of feral cats who live in a farmer's barn nearby. I usually provide food and water and some warm bedding for the winter. Currently, I have 4-5 cats who come in for food but sleep elsewhere. They are not part of a colony and drop by alone. In the summer, I discovered one had given birth but we were about to go on vacation so I left them alone. Usually, I TNR all the cats that visit me. After vacation, the mommy cat was trapped, spayed and returned. The kitten was now about 6 weeks old and very skittish. I tried to trap it but had no success. Now, the kitten is about 4 months old and very used to me feeding it. The mother cat comes around twice a day but she seems to be discouraging the kitten from hanging out with her. The kitten has now allowed me to touch her and pet her but is still skittish.
I have two older cats (12 and 11 year olds) indoors. One of them has lung cancer but is living a comfortable life. He also gets easily stressed out and marks a lot of areas in our home when he senses change and stress. However, he adjusted to his "brother" 11 years ago despite a lot of angst on his part.
My Solution: I want to adopt the semi-feral kitten and make him an indoor cat. I just don't think it is a good idea given the age and condition of one our own cats. On the other hand, I feel the kitten won't have much of a fighting chance with other males (I think it's a male) outside, diseases, etc. I just want to give it a chance to live out its life with us. My practical side says not to take it in because of our resident cats, as well as young kids in the house. My emotional side says to take the kitten in.
Question: Need some experienced cat lovers to chime in, please.
OK. So I have double digits in a one bedroom condo so I clearly go with my emotions.

Your older cats will adjust and the kitten will adjust. What I usually do with new ones if I have no available space like a spare room (which is always) is first have them in a large dog crate, that way the others can sniff and hiss but everyone is safe from one and other.

Of course it's more work to have another, but I've found that it's also important to have young life around when some that you love are getting on in years. And I've even found that it brings out the young in the older ones. Or the young ones get discipline from an elder, which is also a good thing.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you already have it in your heart to get the little one to a safe place. There are different avenues you can take once you have it neutered and vet checked.
I have two older sick cats that are my babies. I also worried about the rescue kitties I was bringing in. It did take a little adjusting but I discovered my most compromised male, enjoyed the kitties and even perked up around them. We never know how an individual will react but the introduction is key.
As mentioned above, start with vet work and keep them separate. You can expect a bit of hissing, curiosity and cats investigating near wherever you isolate the kitten. Scent swapping is a start. I have brought in and blended many in order to preserve lives. Best thing ever! It has been wonderful. Work but having two turn to three wasn’t that much more for me. My numbers are higher now and I find the kitties are a bonded family. Many here will be around if you decide to pursue this. You’ll gets lots of tips from others who found themselves in similar situations. I’m glad you are here. Thank you for all you are doing for all those kitties and for your own precious ones.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. A crate, with food, water, and a litter box is the way to go. With one exception, all of our former ferals were 4-6 months old when they came inside. The exception is a TNR that was 4-ish when she joined us. Yes, there was an adjustment period, but the fact remains that they did make the adjustment. Nothing is guaranteed, of course, but it can be done.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your sick older cat objects too strongly, is it possible to keep the kitten in your room for the rest of the older cat's life? Still try to introduce him to the other cat so he doesn't lose his cat socialization skills, but whatever stresses the sick cat the least but still provides for the kitten.

Get him inside soon! It's not safe for tiny kittens out there.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it ends up stressing your ill one too much, just make sure the kitten is neutered and vaccinated, and he can be returned outdoors.Your first obligation is to your older little one. His time is limited and he needs special time. But you could frist see how it goes and see if he is willing to accept anotehr after a period of adjustnment. When I have my boys neutered young, the older feral intact males leave them alone, they ignore them as they feel no threat as they do from other Toms. I have them feeding side by side, a young male is accepted until they 'mature' and then they are driven away, one that is neutered is not. You could also provide him with a heated bed in teh winter, that makes their lives a lot more acceptable and costs about the price of a 40 watt light bulb to run. i have even run outdoor extension cords to power some.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So we are back from the vet. Sooty has been given a clean bill of health and needs to return in a month for follow up vaccinations. He is not as feral as I thought. He loves being cuddled and I have handled it just like a tame cat since we got home. He is terrified of everything right now so I am giving him time. Thank you all. I have more questions but will post a different thread.