Need some advice

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is Pumpkin, a friend of the family was speeding on a curvy road and didn’t see that someone threw a box of kittens in the road. He ended up killing 4 of the 5 kittens, she is the last one. We’re keeping her. We’ve given her a flea bath, checked her back and her legs, and she seems to be doing fine. Is there anything I should look out for? We are trying to slowly introduce her to the other cats, but our Bengal mix hates her and keeps trying to attack. She’s about 5 weeks, her ears aren’t open yet. We’re trying to get her into the vets, but until she goes in I wanna make sure she’s doing ok. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Can you keep her contained away from the other cats, until the vet checks her out?

A cotton sock, filled with dry white rice and heated in the microwave (test it to be sure it isn't too hot, and it will need to be maintained) can be a nice thing for her to snuggle since she doesn't have her siblings.

Is she eating ok? Drinking? Some unflavored Pedialyte could be a good addition to her diet.

This might help if you haven't seen it yet;
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Can you keep her contained away from the other cats, until the vet checks her out?

A cotton sock, filled with dry white rice and heated in the microwave (test it to be sure it isn't too hot, and it will need to be maintained) can be a nice thing for her to snuggle since she doesn't have her siblings.

Is she eating ok? Drinking? Some unflavored Pedialyte could be a good addition to her diet.

This might help if you haven't seen it yet;
How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Yes, got her yesterday and she’s already doing better, she has learned to climb things and how to crawl under the door so we have to keep a blanket there so the other cats can’t get to her. It she is drinking well, we do have to soften her food. When he brought her he said she was smaller than the others and the only one that’s not black, so she may be runt? Also will definitely get the pedialyte.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How sad that someone dumped a box of kittens, and sadder yet that they were killed because “a friend of the family was speeding on a curvy road.” At any rate, it sounds like this remaining kitten is doing well. Get her to the vet soon, and as long as she is eating well and pooping well, things should be okay.

It’s not unusual for resident cats to reject a newcomer, but if you let them hiss and do their thing, you’d be surprised how quickly they will accept a kitten in general. By this I mean it might take a couple of weeks, but as long as no one is attacking and harming each other the acceptance is much quicker with a kitten than a new adult cat.

Keep us posted! :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dont be harsh on this friend speeding. The speeding wasnt no real fault, fault was to throw a box full of kittens on the road. THIS was the immediate cause and purpose of this evil deed, to get the kittens killed. Less evil than for example leaving them in the middle of the woods in a locked box, Which also happens... There are "people" for everything...

Lets be glad the friend stopped although speeding, looked what happened, and saved this alive kitten and found himher a good home....

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How sad that someone dumped a box of kittens, and sadder yet that they were killed because “a friend of the family was speeding on a curvy road.” At any rate, it sounds like this remaining kitten is doing well. Get her to the vet soon, and as long as she is eating well and pooping well, things should be okay.

It’s not unusual for resident cats to reject a newcomer, but if you let them hiss and do their thing, you’d be surprised how quickly they will accept a kitten in general. By this I mean it might take a couple of weeks, but as long as no one is attacking and harming each other the acceptance is much quicker with a kitten than a new adult cat.

It’s a sad situation, and we are trying to slowly introduce them. Our 2 black cats will hiss at her than run away, With our Bengal mix, she was up all night trying to get into the room she was staying in. But will definitely try that with constant supervision. I will also update on her as she grows up ❤

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dont be harsh on this friend speeding. The speeding wasnt no real fault, fault was to throw a box full of kittens on the road. THIS was the immediate cause and purpose of this evil deed, to get the kittens killed. Less evil than for example leaving them in the middle of the woods in a locked box, Which also happens... There are "people" for everything...

Lets be glad the friend stopped although speeding, looked what happened, and saved this alive kitten and found himher a good home....
I agree, and I believe he had learned to drive a little more carefully. He loves animals and I’ve never seen him so distraught. I would be too if it were me. Will be sure to update as she grows up and after her vet appointment. ❤

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Quick update on Pumpkin. She’s doing great! Our Bengal mix who is also still less than a year, has taken to her and now they are inseparable! She does scare me though, she’s fearless. She probably sees it as she’s been through everything else, what’s there to be afraid of? She jumps up the cat tree (and she keeps trying to jump off the top of it). She is highly independent, and very intelligent for how young she is. I can’t wait to see how she grows and I will keep everyone updated as she grows up!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! There are no dumb questions, I promise.

would this be considered polydactyl?
It is, wow - what fun!

I'm noticing that one of those toes looks a bit smooshed between the others.

Does she let you trim her claws? You might want to set a reminder to check all of her claws frequently, so that if there's one that starts to grow crookedly that you see it and can trim it before it causes any issues by growing into the toe next to it, or into a pad.

My Poppycat has the normal number of toes but one of his back claws grows just a little crooked and I have to keep an eye on it :).

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! There are no dumb questions, I promise.

It is, wow - what fun!

I'm noticing that one of those toes looks a bit smooshed between the others.

Does she let you trim her claws? You might want to set a reminder to check all of her claws frequently, so that if there's one that starts to grow crookedly that you see it and can trim it before it causes any issues by growing into the toe next to it, or into a pad.

My Poppycat has the normal number of toes but one of his back claws grows just a little crooked and I have to keep an eye on it :).
We haven’t had to trim her nails yet, but does let us touch or rub her paws. Thank you for letting me know, I will set a reminder and keep an eye on it. Thank you again 😊

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that this little one is striving despite the cruel act that was done to her and her siblings (who lost their lives). I hope your boyfriend is okay, I would be so upset if I went through what he did.

Keep us updated and if you have any questions don't hesitate to visit here. 🙂

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so glad to hear that this little one is striving despite the cruel act that was done to her and her siblings (who lost their lives). I hope your boyfriend is okay, I would be so upset if I went through what he did.

Keep us updated and if you have any questions don't hesitate to visit here. 🙂
Decided I would update because she has gotten big rather fast! Already half the size of one of our adult cats. Hearing her run through the house with our Bengal mix (named Candy) is kinda scary lol
Between those 2 they broke two curtain rods within one day.i was thinking of making a separate post about Candy since she has gotten rather aggressive with everyone except my mom, my boyfriend and I, and I really hope pumpkin won’t take after that, she looks up to candy like she’s a god. Wherever Candy goes, Pumpkin follows. But Pumpkin is very affectionate to everyone so I have hope that she won’t become aggressive. She is overall doing amazing. Also I hope everyone is having a good start to the year 🖤

Attachments

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Decided I would update because she has gotten big rather fast! Already half the size of one of our adult cats. Hearing her run through the house with our Bengal mix (named Candy) is kinda scary lol
Between those 2 they broke two curtain rods within one day.i was thinking of making a separate post about Candy since she has gotten rather aggressive with everyone except my mom, my boyfriend and I, and I really hope pumpkin won’t take after that, she looks up to candy like she’s a god. Wherever Candy goes, Pumpkin follows. But Pumpkin is very affectionate to everyone so I have hope that she won’t become aggressive. She is overall doing amazing. Also I hope everyone is having a good start to the year 🖤
Thank you so much for sharing pics of Pumpkin and letting us know that she is doing well. So glad she is fitting in to your family and Candy is now her BFF. Sorry about the broken curtain rods. A kitten playing with a Bengal is a powerhouse combination. If you are concerned over Candy's behavior please don't hesitate to put up a thread in the Cat Behavior forum and mention that she is a Bengal, that way hopefully members who are knowledgable about this breed can give you advice and share their own experience with the Bengal breed. I will leave an article with you that I hope you find helpful. All the best to you and the kitties. :purr:
Aggression In Cats - Jackson Galaxy

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for sharing pics of Pumpkin and letting us know that she is doing well. So glad she is fitting in to your family and Candy is now her BFF. Sorry about the broken curtain rods. A kitten playing with a Bengal is a powerhouse combination. If you are concerned over Candy's behavior please don't hesitate to put up a thread in the Cat Behavior forum and mention that she is a Bengal, that way hopefully members who are knowledgable about this breed can give you advice and share their own experience with the Bengal breed. I will leave an article with you that I hope you find helpful. All the best to you and the kitties. :purr:
Thank you 🖤

FreshPuppet2389

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
It’s been a While since I’ve posted anything, so I’ll be sure to attach a picture.
I’m posting this because you guys know way more about cats than me (I’m slightly new to cats)
But I was wandering what you would consider normal cat/kitten behavior. I wasn’t planning on posting this because I thought pumpkin was just going through her crazy kitten phase, but as she get older I’ve started wandering if you think its possible for her to have brain damage (hope that didn’t come across rude).
I was sitting on the back porch the other day, it’s screened in so they aren’t indoor/outdoor cats. I was watching her because she likes to wander. A car drove by and she tried chasing it, through the screen. And she does that to every car.
Whenever she is on the cat tree she will hang from the bottom of one of the hammocks by her front paws, one time she did that for about 10 minutes.
One thing I find really cute, she absolutely loves this purple fabric bag, anytime she sees it she runs in and purrs (always supervised). She’ll run out of the bag and my boyfriend will move it in front of her and she just darts back in, doesn’t matter how long ago she ran out of it. I’m sure many of her behaviors are normal for cats, the only cats I’ve been around before I met him were shelter cats, I volunteered a lot but you can’t truly get to know the cats personality in a shelter. I also looked into Steven universe (thank you for that btw) but I can’t remember if he went into this sort of thing. I’m gonna look into seeing a vet, but I wanted to see what you would say about this, and if you need to know anything else pls do ask, I just wanna make sure she is happy and healthy, and to know if there is anything I should look out for or know about.

Attachments