Need serious advice-- Cat with possible IBD/Lymphoma - Dosage of prednisolone question?

mmfreeman33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat who is 15 now has been battling some pretty bad GI symptoms since August. It started with diarrhea and vomiting and I took her to the vet and they did a fecal and labs and it showed she had a bacterial infection in her gut. She was treated with antibiotics and it cleared up within a week. Shortly after that, she began experiencing bad allergies (pulling out her fur, watery eyes, vomiting hairballs weekly, etc) and constipation. She went to the vet again and was given a steroid shot and an antibiotic injection in September. The steroid shot seemed to clear everything up for a few weeks until the vomiting returned. She went back to the vet who gave her another steroid shot which also worked for about 3 weeks and the vomiting came back. I took her to an urgent care who did an ultrasound and showed thickened intestines and inflammation in the gut, pancreas, and kidneys. All lab work within normal range. She now is waiting to see an internal medicine vet on 11/28/22 and the urgent care has prescribed her oral prednisolone at a dosage of 2.25mg a day. She is about 5.5lb. Is this dosage too low? The oral pred is not controlling her symptoms in the same way the shot was but the depo shot gives her horrible lethargy and inappetence therefore we are not doing anymore of those. With the oral pred, she is still vomiting once daily. She has not lost weight, she has actually went from 5lb in Oct to 5.5 this month despite NOT having an increase of appetite but the vet thinks she either has IBD or Lymphoma. I have switched her food to all grain-free and I'm avoiding chicken right now as a part of a protein trial. She is also taking daily MiraLax and Proviable-DC probiotics. Is there a high likelihood that she actually has cancer? The timing seems too convenient with happening after the bacterial infection and constipation inflaming her system. Is there anything else I can be doing? I'm at a complete loss as she's never had health issues in her entire life until now and it is devastating to watch her not feel well.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, I'm sorry. It's so hard to see them start having problems like that. I'm in almost the same boat, a 13 year old kitty with probable lymphoma. She's been on daily prednisolone and we have had to up the dose since we started her on it. I'd check in with your vet to see if they think an increase in pred might help her.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Given that you have been proactive and made the appointment with the IM vet, wait until Monday and ask about the dosage. Don't take pred into your own hands. Let us know what you find out from the new vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmfreeman33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Given that you have been proactive and made the appointment with the IM vet, wait until Monday and ask about the dosage. Don't take pred into your own hands. Let us know what you find out from the new vet.
Thank you so much! I sure will update you all. Hopefully I can get some answers.