Need recommendations for a cat carrier

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So one of my very best friends is in search of a cat carrier. It's a long story but basically, he has a cat that is LARGE but in size and weight. He measured her nose to tail and she is about 20 inches long and about 15 inches tall. He's having a hard time finding a carrier for her that she would be comfortable in. If anyone knows of larger cat carriers I would appreciate the recommendations.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most cats just curl up or crouch in a meatloaf position in a carrier with the tail tucked in close. Few will fully stretch out. Any medium or large sized carrier will work. You could look into a extra large (and extra bulky to move) dog carrier / crate if you feel the need to give your cat extra space.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use dog carriers because they are taller. Cats should be able to stand up if they are going to be crated for extended amounts of time. A great tip that I learned from a vet tech is to carry a large crate by gripping it from the sides and hold it in front of me, with the end wedged against my abs. Also, I keep all but the most gregarious cats in a crate covered with a towel or sheet to avoid sensory overload.

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just went to Pet smart and got one big enough for Manny to sit up straight or stand in. It just says Great Choice on it. I guess that's the brand. I think it was for a medium size dog. Manny is around 20lbs and it works great for him. I also had a 23lb MC and it would have been plenty big for him too. I never used a carrier for him because he was so calm but he would have fit no problem. I don't think quality really varies much depending on the brand.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also use medium sized dog carriers for greg and arnold; one each. Each cat is 20 pounds or more. There is lots of space for them. They can stand and more around. Neither cat could even turn around in a standard cat crate.

I bought the two carriers used for 10 or 20 dollars each. They are good quality carriers that probably would have been 80 or 100 dollars new each.

The former owner used them for rottweiler pups. I disinfected the cages and saved a lot of money.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it really depends on what you're going to use the carrier for. Lots of folks swear by the hard-sided plastic carriers but I love the ease of a soft-sided Sherpa. Now, if I were taking my cats in the car and we were going to be driving for hours I'd use the large hard-sided carrier because it would give them more room. But for air travel and run-of-the-mill vet visits I'd use my large Sherpa.

Products | Sherpa Pet

Dearjujubebe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A large cat may do not like to in small spaces. So, the extra-large carrier may be a good choice. Such as the dog carrier.