Need recommendation for break away collar with room for a note

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am trying to determine if a cat is owned mainly for peace of mind. Ritz a prima donna and probably would not tolerate a second cat.
I TRNd "Hercules" in May 2012; thereafter, he would come by occasionally to eat. Then around six months later, he showed up with a chunk of fur missing from his neck that had been professionally cleaned (shaved) and sutured. I didn't seem him for a while, and then started noticing him hanging around a different location. I have started feeding him there three times a week. (I live 30 minutes from the location, moved 2.5 years ago.)
His weight is good, so he must be getting food from other sources (he is good agressive). He has always been inordinately friendly (climbs on my lap, head buts me, rolls on his back, belly up). He is negative for FIV/FelK and not microchipped (as of yesterday). He spent the night at my house recently and was more or less comfortable in a new environment in 24 hours. I had to return him to the colony, but I have hopes that even if I can't adopt him, someone would.
So.... I am looking for a collar that is easy to put on and break away, with some type of capsule or pocket where I could put a note asking: "Is this your cat. Please call...."
If you have any other advice I'd love to read/hear it.
Thanks.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The easiest thing that comes to my mind is to just buy a regular breakaway collar from Petco/Petsmart/Walmart/Amazon, etc and clip on a custom engraved ID tag to it. Some pet stores have the ID tag machine in the store to make one on the spot (my Petco does) or you can order it online. I found this one on Amazon...

It is only $7.95 and free shipping. You get to put up to 8 lines of personal text on it so I'm sure you can fit "Is this your cat? Please call 123-4567" on there, no problem. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Super, what a great idea about the tag? I remember seeing them in Petco/PetSmart.
Now all I have to do it get Hercules and then get it on him.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How did Ritz tolerate the recent sleepover?

It does sound like Hercules has a caretaker already but if not, female cats are typically more tolerant of older male cats, especially if they are docile like it sounds like Hercules is!  
 Just saying....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It does sound like Hercules has a caretaker, but I'm puzzled as to why he/she lets him out in the bitter cold. Sometimes Hercules act really hungry, sometimes he head buts me first. He loves his kibble. When he was in my 2nd bedroom, he did not seem to want outside.
Initially I put Hercules in the laundry room in the cat carrier. Hercules meowed a lot and Ritz was puzzled as to where the sound was coming from. So I opened the door so Ritz could connect the dots. Ritz hissed.
I kept them apart of course, but Ritz could sometimes hear Hercules meowing. (Hercules only meowed when I was in the room with him.) When I bought the cat carrier out to the car, she saw Hercules and again hissed.
You all may remember when I fostered "Twiddledee" (male) for about three months because he walked with a limp. Tdee literally climbed the walls/blinds trying to escape. Ritz was fairly tolerant of Tdee initially, but became more intolerant, perhaps because she was figuring this was for more long term. Tdee was a very very laid back cat, nothing phased him. One time Tdee walked by Ritz and Ritz swatted at Tdee totally unprovoked. I later had to return Tdee to the colony (long story). On the other hand, they once both slept on the bed with me. (Ritz is a lap cat, Tdee was a foot cat.)
I promised Hercules that if a bad snow storm were forecast, I'd take him to my home temporarily. (Ritz survived a 20 inch snow storm.) Possible of significant snow this weekend.