Need Recipe

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am looking for a way to make liver and onions without gravy. All suggestions welcome.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate liver, but my other half likes it. I would just sweat or brown the thinly-sliced onions in a little oil until very soft. Remove them.

In the mean time, lightly dry the liver and lightly coat with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Let the liver sit while the onions are frying. Add a tiny bit of oil to the skillet if necessary. Fry the liver on medium heat until almost done. Top with the onions, cover, and cook a few minutes more for the onions to meld with the liver.

Let me know how it comes out.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I hate liver, but my other half likes it. I would just sweat or brown the thinly-sliced onions in a little oil until very soft. Remove them.

In the mean time, lightly dry the liver and lightly coat with flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Let the liver sit while the onions are frying. Add a tiny bit of oil to the skillet if necessary. Fry the liver on medium heat until almost done. Top with the onions, cover, and cook a few minutes more for the onions to meld with the liver.

Let me know how it comes out.
:yeah: That's how I make it, but I use butter rather than oil.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
That's what I do, too. After my onions are nice and brown and caramelized, I just lightly coat with flour and saute the liver with the onions in the pan; I don't do them separately. Since you can't use flour, though, I'm wondering if you could lightly coat your liver with your GF flour and take it from there?

Gosh, but I love liver and onions! Rick won't eat liver at all, so my sister and I get together for a pan of liver and onions. The guys get pizza.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I want to make this with as little fat as possible. Wondering if the butter or oil would be better.

Last edited:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I love liver and onions too and usually make it with gravy, but am wanting a more healthy way to eat it.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
We've never made it with gravy. I still think you'd be better off using butter. Why? Because a little butter goes a long way taste-wise.
Maybe spray your pan just a little bit with nonstick spray to start doing the onions. But then use a little butter for sauteing the liver.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I made the liver and onions with gravy in the traditional old fashioned way. I used as little fat as possible. I packaged her two small freezer boxed with two pieces of the liver in each package. She called me Friday night and told me when she ate the first package, she intended to eat one piece of the meat, a bit of the onions and gravy and save the rest until she knew she would be okay from eating it. Then she said when she started, she couldn't quit. It tasted so good to her, it might as well have been prime rib. She ate it all and was fine. So the next day she ate the other package. Now she wants to see me again and guess what she hopes I will have in my hand. ;)

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Good for you! I've been wanting to ask you how it went with your daughter and, as usual, I never got around to it. I'm so glad she liked it and that it was good for her, too. Kudos!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you! I've been wanting to ask you how it went with your daughter and, as usual, I never got around to it. I'm so glad she liked it and that it was good for her, too. Kudos!
Yep, I think the liver and onions may help me to see her again soon. She didn't just like it. She raved about how it had been so long since she had anything as good. Food, it can work wonders.