Need prayers for my best friend Simon

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Simon my mixed Siamese cat and about 15 in age. I rescued him 5 years ago. His health has been going downhill for the last 4 days. He has an URI and has been losing weight (5.8 pounds) The cat got an injection Convenia. Simon has not eaten in days and drinks a lot of water. I took him to the vet the 2 days ago and he examined him and took some blood to test for renal failure. Today the results are in and Simons kidney values are "not that bad" according to the vet. Simon is very lethargic and slow. The vet wants to keep him overnight and give him IV fluids for another day or two and see how he reacts. I have a very good relationship with my vet and told him to not ring up the bill too high if it is a waste. He wants to give him another chance to recover before I make the final decision on Simons life. I need all the prayers I can for my best friend here. I love Simon and only want what is best for him. Please pray for him 

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many many
for Simon. Just wondering if he had thyroid tests done? If his kidney values look okay, it may be a hyperthyroid problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I did the small panel as I assumed that it was his kidneys. I doubt that the thyroid test would be in that area. Small test here $65 bucks. Full panel @175.00. I am poor and went for the cheaper version
Any other outside opinions would be really appreciated by me here.

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've faced the same question with my mixed-Siamese Mr. Grimsby, who is also around 15 years old. He had hyperthyroidism a few years ago - that was treated successfully with a radioactive iodine injection.

Based on my experience with his hyperthyroidism, I'd say that's probably not your Simon's problems. Mr. Grimsby ate constantly and would even howl in the middle of the night for food. No matter how much he ate, he continued to lose weight. And his fur started falling out - I remember him standing up after lying on a white tile floor and a clump of his fur was left behind.

Mr. Grimsby also has chronic kidney disease, but is not very far advanced. I switched him to a high protein diet which seems to have slowed the progress of the disease a bit. At one point I know I'm going to have to give him saline injections to keep his fluids up. Fortunately, I've had practice with a neighbor's cat that has diabetes. It's not as difficult as I expected, although Mr. Grimsby will probably be a lot less cooperative than the other cat.

So, don't give up on Simon yet. If he is diagnosed with CKD, the vet can prescribe medicines and when the dehydration gets bad, you can give him injections. Keep your chin up. We're sending our very best wishes for a happy outcome for you and Simon.

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

Last edited:

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I've faced the same question with my mixed-Siamese Mr. Grimsby, who is also around 15 years old. He had hyperthyroidism a few years ago - that was treated successfully with a radioactive iodine injection.

Based on my experience with his hyperthyroidism, I'd say that's probably not your Simon's problems. Mr. Grimsby ate constantly and would even howl in the middle of the night for food. No matter how much he ate, he continued to lose weight. And his fur started falling out - I remember him standing up after lying on a white tile floor and a clump of his fur was left behind.

Mr. Grimsby also has chronic kidney disease, but is not very far advanced. I switched him to a high protein diet which seems to have slowed the progress of the disease a bit. At one point I know I'm going to have to give him saline injections to keep his fluids up. Fortunately, I've had practice with a neighbor's cat that has diabetes. It's not as difficult as I expected, although Mr. Grimsby will probably be a lot less cooperative than the other cat.

So, don't give up on Simon yet. If he is diagnosed with CKD, the vet can prescribe medicines and when the dehydration gets bad, you can give him injections. Keep your chin up. We're sending our very best wishes for a happy outcome for you and Simon.

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy
Thank you sooo much for your lengthy reply. Simon is very laid  back and relaxed. No crying at all from him. Animals hide their pain much better than humans can I have read. I am not gonna dump a bunch of money into my cat as I am all about him. Simon has not said nothing to me (Iive alone) as far as any pain that he may have. I am secure knowing that my vet has him for at least one more day. He has been my best friend for the last 5 years
Please send more prayers to Simon

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're very welcome. I hope that the information I shared was helpful to you.

I should clarify something from my original post, though. I think Mr. Grimsby was crying from hunger, rather than pain. He was constantly eating and once his food bowl was empty, he'd start howling for more. This usually happened in the middle of the night - perhaps the hunger kept him awake or woke him up. Anyhow, it doesn't sound like your Simon has the symptoms that I witnessed in Mr. Grimsby, so there is no great change to what I wrote earlier.

Best wishes for you and Simon. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You're very welcome. I hope that the information I shared was helpful to you.

I should clarify something from my original post, though. I think Mr. Grimsby was crying from hunger, rather than pain. He was constantly eating and once his food bowl was empty, he'd start howling for more. This usually happened in the middle of the night - perhaps the hunger kept him awake or woke him up. Anyhow, it doesn't sound like your Simon has the symptoms that I witnessed in Mr. Grimsby, so there is no great change to what I wrote earlier.

Best wishes for you and Simon. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy
Simon (my best friend) is doing much better after 4 days at the vets...a few shots and IV fluid injections. The vet is kinda a friend to me and cut me a great deal on expenses for Simon
Thank you for the prayers. Simon is about 15-16 years old from what my vet told me today. Simon was a rescued cat so no age will ever be known. Your prayers really helped him. Thank you so much 

pharber-murphy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so happy to hear that Simon is better! That's made my day

Best regards,

PHarber-Murphy