Need Oriental Shorthairs

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would like to start breeding Oriental Shorthairs and I'm interested in purchasing three starters as foundation cats. It's a breed I love, I have experience in genetics, and I have a little experience breeding as my parents bred cats, though it was a different breed. I expect to pay over $1000 per cat, and I am willing to make this huge monetary investment as well as devote a significant amount of time, effort, and money because I have always loved this breed, I know it's a breed in a little trouble because of its health issues, and I want to help. When a breed has issues, the more breeders, the greater the genetic diversity that can be maintained, the better.

I would like to avoid white spotting, pure black, and have no more than one half of one tabby total even though this will be visually one whole tabby. Other than that I'm interested in type over colour and any healthy Oriental Shorthair with high conformity to breed standards will do. (Though of course I need ones that aren't closely related, and I was hoping to go with two females and a male.)

Modern Siamese will do as well, though I would like to get at least one cat that is not colourpoint. Two if possible.

My house has a basement I can make completely separate, so I was hoping to keep males downstairs and females upstairs, so that I could get on entirely without cages and still select each mating individually. When my parents bred cats, it broke my heart a little to see them in cages.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also like to know... and I realise this is a very weird question... if it is possible to selectively breed for eatingness. I've had a lot of picky cats over the years that have shortened their lifespans by being unwilling to eat anything, even treats, except the terrible overpriced food they were fed at the shelter. Sniff, lick slightly, sniff, refuse, walk disdainfully away.

I had one great cat that would insist upon sharing my food and would even go so far as to grab it. She lived for over 20 years because she had a varied diet. Her I actually had to be very careful with because she didn't care if it was good for her or not: If I was having some, she needed it. I have done a lot of research on everything else, but there's not really any information on whether this is genetic or not.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your plan to breed for show standards, as well as for temperament, health, and genetic diversity? I don't know exactly how much Oriental breeders charge for their kittens... but in most breeds, a cat suitable for show and breeding, and with breeding rights, will cost significantly more than $1000.

Many good breeders prefer that you start with a show alter before you get a breeding cat. Unfortunately, right now most regions are not holding any shows due to the pandemic, which is slowing down mentorship of new breeders significantly. In any case, breeders will want to get to know you before placing a breeding cat with you.

Generally, the Fanciers Breeder Referral List is a reasonable place to start to look for breeders.
There are lots of good breeders on this list. I don't know all of these people... but there are definitely some very good ones.

Take your time talking to breeders. Spend lots of time learning.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've actually been most of the way through that list. Unfortunately a lot of those breeders are no longer breeding.

Look at this upcoming litters page. It's... from 2015.

UPCOMING LITTERS

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many busy breeders do not update their web pages, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are no longer breeding. I don't know that particular breeder that you linked, but I know there are plenty of active breeders on that list.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can certainly try some of the ones from the websites that look abandoned in addition to the ones that have recently updated sites. That'll expand the list.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can certainly try some of the ones from the websites that look abandoned in addition to the ones that have recently updated sites. That'll expand the list.
I've discovered a huge majority of breeders have moved their marketing to Facebook completely in recent years. You might want to start looking there.

When we started seriously considering purchasing a Maine Coon, I managed to get on a waiting list from a breeder I follow on social media for several years now but, that was 2 years out for a kitten. In the interim, I had looked up a breeder I met several years ago at one of the CFA shows near my home and, who's cats I know are owned by others. The website had not been updated for at least 3-4 years. I then looked on Facebook and sure enough, she was extremely active and this was how she was showcasing her kittens now (along with Bengals another family member is raising, as it turned out).

There are also dozens of FB groups dedicated to specific breeds which would be good to join. The MC ones I'm on usually have lists of reputable breeders, and have members that have dealt with that breed for many years and it's been a great resource for all kinds of information I need. Again, you may want to look into this also, but make sure to pick a group that suits you - you might have to join several and figure which one meets your needs best/has the best members. And learn to ignore the garbage FB is known for.