Need Opinions Regarding Litter Of Kittens

PMJones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 12 weeks ago a stray mama cat decided to bless us with her litter of 5 kittens under our storage building. We began feeding her as she cared for her babies. Over the course of the past few months, mama cat has been spayed, along with the kittens all spayed/neutered. We built a outdoor cat enclosure for the kittens to keep them safe because mama cat kept taking them away from our house and I was fearful for their safety especially being so young. I have found a home for 2 of the 5 kittens, leaving me with 3 in the enclosure. The opinion I'm looking for is whether to keep the 3 kittens in the 10x10 enclosure or allow them to roam freely with their mother. We live on a 20 acre farm, surrounded by other large pieces of acreage. We do have a feral cat that has lived on the farm for 10+ years, so it is possible to live a long life outside. I know we have coyotes in the area, however I've never seen one personally my husband has once or twice. We have a fenced in back yard but I know that won't keep a cat safe. So basically I'm wondering if I am lowering the quality of their lives and doing them an injustice by keeping them confined?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If they are content and happy in the enclosure, then is it certainly the more secure life for them. And you mention that there are coyotes in the area. Balanced against the elderly feral on your property. At some point, 10 x 10 is not going to be enough territory for three cats, and you'll need to revisit the question, but for now, I'd keep them safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMJones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first thought is whether they seem content in their enclosure. If so, I'd consider keeping them in when they're outside, but I'm in a rural area where we regularly see foxes sunning on our patio.
They seem content, of course very curious of the outside world but then again my indoor cats are too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PMJones

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If they are content and happy in the enclosure, then is it certainly the more secure life for them. And you mention that there are coyotes in the area. Balanced against the elderly feral on your property. At some point, 10 x 10 is not going to be enough territory for three cats, and you'll need to revisit the question, but for now, I'd keep them safe.
They seem happy, they love to see me coming, the whole family plays with them everyday. I am struggling with the size of the enclosure, realizing it would need to be bigger as they grow. I just don't want to focus only on quantity vs quality of life... aww the struggle! :-)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know you will do your very best for them! You and your family obviously love these kittens.