Need Opinion

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I bought the Litter Robot for my kittens, due to my adverse hatred of cleaning the litter box. So maybe it was more for me.

I’m on week 2 and my male cat (Orion) will use it and love the fact that it rotates. My girl cat (Missy) will only urinate in the box and not defecate.....unless she cannot hold it in anymore.

I brought out their old litter box, due to Missy swallowing a piece of yarn, to make it easier for her to use the litter box. Needless to say, she defecated immediately, mind you the litter robot was available all day and it was clean.

Last night, I believe she may have defecated outside of the Litter Robot because I woke up with the kittens playing soccer with one of her stools.

Personally, I love the litter robot. I don’t want to have a separate litter box because it defeats the purpose of the litter robot. However, I don’t want to keep something only one of my cats will use.

I said all of this to say, what would you do in my situation, keep the litter robot and see if Missy will take to it or return it?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi there, wealthy1! It's really a good idea to have multiple litter boxes. The suggested amount for two cats would be three; one for each of them plus another additional box. So why not keep it along with the box that Missy is comfortable using? Perhaps, in time, she'll grow to be more comfortable with it but please offer her the litter box that she's confident using. As you can already see, she's avoiding the litter robot and it's beginning to cause issues for her.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would ditch the litter robot and use what the cats prefer. Cleaning litter sucks but you get used to it after a while. It’s a part of being a cat parent, same way you have to change a baby’s diaper. Plus, being able to monitor your cat’s poo is important for keeping track of their health. Cats can’t talk, so the quality of their fecal matter is an important indicator of when something is wrong.

Cats prefer to poo in places where they have multiple exit routes and can view their surroundings. This way they can be on the alert in case a predator comes by. I don’t blame your kitten for not wanting to poo in the robot. I would feel claustrophobic going in there too.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever I am cleaning the cat's litter box, I remind myself how grateful I am that I don't have a dog at this time and don't have to pooper scoop large doggie doodoos outside. :barfgreen:

Cleaning up after a cat that uses the litter box is nice in comparison!

I'm not a fan of using covered litter boxes, but I know that's only my opinion. I think uncovered litter boxes are also healthier for the cat's respiratory system.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
It also helps to feed a healthy diet. My cats eat a mix of raw and wet canned food and their poops are nice and firm and easy to scoop and have very little smell.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It also helps to feed a healthy diet. My cats eat a mix of raw and wet canned food and their poops are nice and firm and easy to scoop and have very little smell.
I've found that is mostly true (1) when using mainly raw, and/or (2) if using only one or two canned foods in the rotation.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I rotate 4-7 grain-free canned foods and freeze-dried raw foods with my cat, and alas, the frequent daily variety adds an aroma to Milly's poo (probably due to the various fillers in the multiple brands). It's not bad, the aroma, but it's definitely not unscented. All cats have their unique microbiome.
:rolleyes:

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
I've found that is mostly true (1) when using mainly raw, and/or (2) if using only one or two canned foods in the rotation.

Not to hijack the OP's thread, but I rotate 4-7 grain-free canned foods and freeze-dried raw foods with my cat, and alas, the frequent daily variety adds an aroma to Milly's poo (probably due to the various fillers in the multiple brands). It's not bad, the aroma, but it's definitely not unscented. All cats have their unique microbiome.
:rolleyes:
This may be true. I've also made the observation that commercial foods with more fillers and carbs/fiber sources give smellier poo. I think in general canned food has less of those unnecessary ingredients than dry, but some canned foods have a lot of peas and other things that will still stink up poop.

Last edited: