Need Non Clay Litter Recommendations Please

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi fellow cat parents!
I'm looking for non clay litter options for my two kitties. It seems like I've tried everything, but I'm hopeful that maybe there is something that I haven't tried. So I'll start with info about my kitties, 1. male kitty 8 months, digger, messy, not picky; 2. female kitty 18 months, digger, very clean and picky. I have a top load and a regular litter box for them. So I've tried the following brands:
1. Smart Cat - grass litter- works okay with odor, no dust, light weight, but tracks every where because of messy male. If you try to scoop before it completely hardens, it tends to be a very gooey mushy mess. Pricey.
2. Next Gen- green tea pellets- loved the smell, but kitties didn't take to it. :(
3. Garfield's flushing litter- corn sand like texture- kitty approved, but did mask odor and tracked all over the house.
4. Dr. Kelsey ResRelief - silica gel sand- works great with odor, seems like no dust, but does track, kitties love it. My two biggest problems with it is that one it's very pricey, second, even though i don't see dust and it suppose to be for respiratory issues, when I go to clean it seems to irritate my sinuses and I've notice the kitties sneeze after digging. So it makes me wonder if is truly food grade silica as claimed? Any thoughts?

So that's my list of tried litter. I would like to try the following and any info on these would be a great help.

Littermate - walnut
Okoicat-wood or paper
Weruva- wood
Yesterday's news- paper

I see alot people recommend Tractor Supply pine wood pellets, but my hesitation with wood is I thought pine and cedar are not good for cats. Also i noticed that my kitties prefer a sand like or soft textures.
Please let me know what you all think. Thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Are you mainly trying to reduce litter tracking outside the box? I've used Fresh Step for a long time, and really have never had much of a litter tracking problem until recently. I think the problem is more related to my cat's aging and arthritis than the litter itself. Since she has started to pee on her own leg/paw I have noticed a whole lot more tracking going on.

Is it possible that because of one of your cats - probably your messy male - and how they use the box, that it is causing the tracking? If so, then there may be some litters better than others to help reduce it, but it will probably go on anyway.

I just tried to mix some LitterMaid Walnut with Fresh Step to see if it helps with clumping and less sticking to the box, along with less tracking, but the "jury is still out" on results. I am mixing it because I will tell you LitterMaid Walnut is expensive (almost $9 for 9 lbs), and I believe it is sold exclusively by Walmart (in store only, I'm pretty sure).

Others hopefully can come along and advise you about the other litters you are interested trying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you FeebysOwner, yes I'm trying to reduce tracking, but I'm more concerned with a healthier option.

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also I forgot to put the Verbatis cat litter on my list. Has anyone have experience with this one? TIA!

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I believe it's called Vetbasis

kimberlyg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been using tofu kitty-litter for the last few months and love it. It absorbs smell, is easy to clean and bio degradable.

Khrad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using tofu kitty-litter for the last few months and love it. It absorbs smell, is easy to clean and bio degradable.
Thanks kimberlyg. Can you please give me the name or brand please? Thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, and the cat, LOVE littermaid's walnut. No dust, no tracking.
I'm adding it to a clay litter because I like the better clumping with clay, and the walnut absorbs the dust from the clay, it's a win-win :)

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I switched my cat from clay to grass seed litter because of health concerns. She started getting the clay stuck to her paws and was ingesting the clay. I started with SmartCat, which is great except for the tracking – and the price. PetCo brand Sophresh grass litter is a couple of dollars cheaper, but still pricey and it tracks. I deal with the tracking.
I just bought a bag of paper litter ("crumbled" texture) to try, but after mixing a small amount in with the grass seed, I think it may be hard to discern poop from paper when getting 100% crumbled paper in a box. I hesitate to try paper pellets because they are so hard and I imagine are uncomfortable to step in.

jennytuxedo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We use the Breeze system which is pellets - absolutely no dust and uses a pad in a tray under the litter to catch the pee. Must remove the poops daily which is very easy and litter lasts a long time. Cats had no trouble learning to use it which was years ago.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I switched my cat from clay to grass seed litter because of health concerns. She started getting the clay stuck to her paws and was ingesting the clay. I started with SmartCat, which is great except for the tracking – and the price. PetCo brand Sophresh grass litter is a couple of dollars cheaper, but still pricey and it tracks. I deal with the tracking.
I just bought a bag of paper litter ("crumbled" texture) to try, but after mixing a small amount in with the grass seed, I think it may be hard to discern poop from paper when getting 100% crumbled paper in a box. I hesitate to try paper pellets because they are so hard and I imagine are uncomfortable to step in.
Someone here has posted before about a Kroger brand of clumping grass litter called Abound. Less expensive but clumps (and tracks) as well as Smart Cat. My local Kroger-owned Fred Meyer carries it .