Need "no oven" dinner ideas.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my oven is officially too temperamental to safely use at the moment, so until we get it fixed, I was hoping for some dinner ideas (the easier the better) that do not require an oven.
I have many slowcooker recipes and will use them, but I do not like using a slowcooker if I am not home and I work full time, so slowcooker meals are for the weekend only.
Do you have any recipes that use only the stove top for cooking? Or tips on how to change the cooking from oven to stove top? I'm looking for mains, and side dish options.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I rarely use my oven, except for baking. So here's a few off the top of my head:
- Most beans and rice recipes
- Pasta and sauce
- Burgers
- Grilled Cheese
- Scrambled eggs and hash browns (or bacon)
- Pancakes or French Toast

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Salisbury steak in saucepan with rice and asparagus side dishes. Rice in another pot, asparagus in microwave steamer bag.

Stir fry with chicken OR shrimp and vegetables, serve over rice.

Chicken cacciatore - chicken thighs, sliced carrots, celery, onion, diced tomatoes, covered pot, serve over noodles.

Great for this time of year look up recipes for braised main dishes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely use my oven, except for baking. So here's a few off the top of my head:
- Most beans and rice recipes
- Pasta and sauce
- Burgers
- Grilled Cheese
- Scrambled eggs and hash browns (or bacon)
- Pancakes or French Toast
We actually had pancakes, pasta (ravioli), and "breakfast" last week. And this week I have burgers, soup and grilled cheese, and a rice and meatball dish planned...
Great minds think alike! lol!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chicken cacciatore - chicken thighs, sliced carrots, celery, onion, diced tomatoes, covered pot, serve over noodles.
I've never made that before...I'll check out some recipes. :thumbsup:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I rarely use my oven... in fact it acts as my flat pan storage space. lol

I find that most things can be done in my toaster oven (which is admittedly on the larger side), or stove top.

Stir fried veggies and potstickers is one of my go-to stove top meals. Potstickers get boiled in a saucepan, veggies get cooked in the wok. It takes a bit of timing, because the potstickers take a bit longer than the veggies. I tend to season the veggies with ginger (or 5 spice) and soy, then toss the cooked potstickers in at the last moment. I don't usually add rice, because the potstickers are my carb element.

• Purraise
Reactions: Jem

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mostly use the stove top. This is a frequent go to:

Other recipes I have bookmarked:

• Purraise

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I feel your pain as we're going through some what the same thing and our appointment with the appliance-weenie is still a couple weeks away. While I can use the oven, I always have to check it with a thermometer to make sure it's not running too hot or too low; it does both, about 25 degrees too high or too low. It's frustrating. These recipes are all winners in our house....

Cranberry Pork Chops

1-1/2 cups sugar
1-3/4 cups water, divided
12 oz. pkg. cranberries, fresh or frozen
1/2 cup BBQ sauce (your favorite)
8 bone-in pork chops, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
Salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water

In saucepan, combine sugar and 1-1/2 cups water. Cook and stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil; boil uncovered for 5 minutes. Add the cranberries; cook 5 minutes longer or until the berries pop. Skim off foam, if necessary. Stir in BBQ sauce and remaining water. Mix well and set aside.

Season chops with salt and pepper. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown chops on both sides in oil and drain. Pour cranberry sauce over chops. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until meat juices run clear. Remove chops and keep warm.

Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Spoon over chops. Makes 8 servings.

Note: A 16-oz can of whole-berry cranberry sauce may be substituted for the sugar, cranberries and 1-1/2 cups water. Combine cranberry sauce with the BBQ sauce and 1/4 cup water and use as directed in recipe.

1-1/4 lb. ground chuck
1/4 cup fresh minced parsley
2 Tbsp. scallion, minced
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. flour
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cups onions, sliced
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
2 cups beef broth
1/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. dried thyme
4 tsp. minced fresh parsley
4 tsp. shredded Parmesan
Cheese Toasts

Combine chuck, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape each into 3/4-1-inch thick oval patties. Place 2 tablespoons flour in a shallow dish; dredge each patty in flour. Reserve 1 teaspoon flour.

Heat one tablespoon oil in a saute pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and saute 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from pan.

Add onions and sugar to pan; saute 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and tomato paste; saute 1 minute or until paste begins to brown. Sprinkle onions with reserved flour, cook 1 minute. Stir in broth and wine, then add the salt and thyme.

Return meat to the pan and bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 10 minutes.

Serve steaks on Cheese Toasts with onion soup ladled over. Garnish with parsley and Parmesan. Makes four servings.

Cheese Toasts

4 slices French bread or baguette, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch thick slices
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
Pinch paprika
1/4 cup grated Swiss cheese
1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place bread on baking sheet. Combine butter, garlic, and paprika, and spread on one side of each bread slice. Combine cheeses and evenly sprinkle over the butter mixture. Bake until bread is crisp and cheese is bubbly, about 10-15 minutes. (Since you're not using a oven, try using shredded cheese on toasted slices of bread and putting them in the microwave for a few seconds, just barely long enough for the cheese to melt)

Steak Gyro With Pickled Onions (from Sara Moulton)

1 small onion, sliced
1½ Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground coriander
1 tsp. onion powder
½ tsp. cracked peppercorns
8 oz. strip steak
1 tsp. oil
½ cup beef stock
1½ tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2 pocketless pitas
4 large escarole leaves

Place the onion in a nonmetal measuring cup. Cover with water and a small microwave-safe plate. Microwave on High until water is boiling, about 5 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, then drain. Stir in vinegar and sugar. Chill in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes and up to 3 hours.

Combine coriander, onion powder, and cracked peppercorns on a plate. Press the steak into the spices, turning to coat. Add oil to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium heat. Sear steak until it reaches desired doneness, about 4 to 7 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board. Add beef stock and Worcestershire sauce to the pan and cook until the liquid is reduced to a quarter of its original volume, about 2 tablespoons, after 3 to 4 minutes. Thinly slice steak and return to the pan. Toss and remove pan from heat.

Brush one side of pita with a little oil. Heat pita one at a time, oiled side down, in a hot skillet until slightly crisp, but not brittle, about 1 minute. Lay each pita on a 12-inch square of foil, crisp side down. Layer half the escarole, sauced steak, and drained pickled onions and 1 teaspoon onion pickle juice in a strip down the center of each pita. Roll bread and foil together into a cone, using the foil for support and to seal the bottom. Peel foil down as you eat. Makes 2 servings.
NOTE: For easier wrapping, you can use tortillas instead of the pita. You don’t need the foil. Place the food in the center of the warmed tortilla and wrap like an envelope.

Chicken with Cranberry Sauce

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup water
1/3 cup sugar
6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 oz. each)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1/4 cup maple syrup

In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, water, and sugar. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Stir the maple syrup into the cranberry mixture and serve with the chicken. Makes 6 servings.

Brie-and-Caramelized Onion-Stuffed Chicken Breasts

1 tsp. olive oil, divided
1/2 c. sliced onion
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2/3 c. dry white wine, divided
2 oz. Brie or Camembert cheese, rind removed and cut into small pieces
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper (I used more like 1/2 tsp.)
4 (4-oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
2 Tbsp. minced fresh onion
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh OR 3/4 tsp. dried rubbed sage
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/4 cups fat-free, less sodium chicken broth
Sage sprigs for garnish

Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onion, saute 30 minutes or until golden brown Add sliced garlic and saute 5 minutes. Stir in 1/3 cup wine and cook 5 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Spoon the onion mixture into a bowl and cool. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper.

Cut a horizontal slit through the thickest portion of each chicken breast half to form a pocket. Stuff about 1-1/2 tablespoons of the onion mixture into each pocket.

Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and saute 6 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from skillet and keep warm.

Add 1/3 cup wine, the minced onion, chopped sage, and minced garlic to pan. Cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook until reduced to 3/4 cup (about 7 minutes). Return chicken to pan, cover and simmer 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve sauce with chicken. Garnish with sage sprigs. Yield: 4 servings with one serving size at one chicken breast half and 3 tablespoons of sauce.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was doing a kitchen renkvation and didn’t have a kitchen for four months, I cooked a lot of meals in a 6 qt electric roaster. You need small size pans but you can make casseroles, bake cookies and delicious roasted meats in it.

• Purraise

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Taco salad
Chili mac
Caesar salad w/chicken or shrimp
Tuna noodle(you don’t need to put this in the oven)
Do you have a bbq? If so, anything you can grill