Need New Wet Foods To Add To Rotation!

hleeeex3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
0DD3AED2-4D1E-403C-84C4-98F9727CD0FB.jpeg
Hi everyone!

I have a cat named Kona who’s almost 3 years old and only eats wet food. I think she’s starting to get sick of some of the cans in her rotation so I would love some recommendations to try!

Currently in her rotation:
Weruva - Paw Lickin chicken (need to switch out)
Weruva - Chicken frick a zee (need to switch out)
Natural Balance Chicken (need to switch)
Natural Balance Duck
Tiki Cat Aloha Friends Chicken & pumpkin pouches
Weruva Fowl Ball

I rotate these on a daily basis but I think she’s just starting to get sick of chicken! It’s funny because chicken would be the only thing she would eat. I’m looking for high quality brands of cat food that contain fewer gums. She does not eat FF, Blue Buffalo, Nature’s Variety (these would make her throw up). I’m looking to try Koha next! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Two gum-free brands of pate foods that Sylvie and I like are Rawz and Redbarn. Rawz uses fenugreek seed as a binder/for consistency and Redbarn uses agar agar.

Sylvie can't tolerate chicken, so I feed her other flavors of these foods: Rawz rabbit, duck and beef pates, and Redbarn lamb pate. Any of these might make a nice change for Kona if she's tired of chicken.

Kona is adorable, btw!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You could try Only Natural Pet's house brand pates:

Only Natural Pet Grain-Free Pate Canned Cat Food

I personally feed the rabbit and pork one. :)

I second Redbarn lamb!
I need to give the ONP rabbit and pork a try! The ingredients look good, with no problematic veggies like peas, and the price seems reasonable. Sylvie likes both Rawz rabbit and Primal pork, so this combo might go over well with her.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr. Elsey's canned. In turkey and chicken. Can't vouch for the other flavors since I saw some weird ingredients in them. But turkey and chicken are solid flavors.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to give the ONP rabbit and pork a try! The ingredients look good, with no problematic veggies like peas, and the price seems reasonable. Sylvie likes both Rawz rabbit and Primal pork, so this combo might go over well with her.
The rabbit and pork one is the only one without peas, but it does have green beans and apples for some reason. However they are far enough down the list that I am placated. Mine loved the stuff, couldn't get enough. I was excited because they all stopped liking the Merrick rabbit pate and I know they missed their rabbit!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sylvie lost interest in the I and Love and You rabbit over time. She still likes Rawz rabbit but seemed a bit bored with it and wasn't eating it with great gusto anymore. Right now I'm giving her Wellness beef & salmon in place of her usual rabbit breakfast, and I think taking a little break is probably healthy, but it's good to have another solid rabbit choice for when I'm ready to add that protein back into the rotation.

I feel as you do about the veggies — I'm OK with them in small enough amounts, especially if they're there to contribute essential nutrients that would otherwise be provided by supplements. The Redbarn lamb even has peas in it, but they're something like the 10th listed ingredient and don't seem to be causing Sylvie any digestive problems (unlike the pea protein used as a major ingredient in some brands).

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The rabbit and pork one is the only one without peas
I got the three "test" cans I ordered, and guess what? The fourth listed ingredient is PEAS! :mad: ONP must have changed the formulation quite recently, since the recipe listed on their site is still a pea-free one.

I dished out half the 2.75-ounce can for breakfast early this morning (around 10 after 5) and about 10 minutes later I had to get out of bed to clean up the barf. And do it again, and again. Ugh.

The only bright side of this is that I was able to buy individual cans rather than a case, so I spent less than 10 bucks on this failed experiment. I'll give the other two cans to my cat sitter/vet tech to share with some of the many cats in her care.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the three "test" cans I ordered, and guess what? The fourth listed ingredient is PEAS! :mad: ONP must have changed the formulation quite recently, since the recipe listed on their site is still a pea-free one.

I dished out half the 2.75-ounce can for breakfast early this morning (around 10 after 5) and about 10 minutes later I had to get out of bed to clean up the barf. And do it again, and again. Ugh.

The only bright side of this is that I was able to buy individual cans rather than a case, so I spent less than 10 bucks on this failed experiment. I'll give the other two cans to my cat sitter/vet tech to share with some of the many cats in her care.
Oh no! I'm so sorry. I didn't even read the label on mine as mine do not have any sort of intolerances; I just assumed the website was up-to-date. I hate that yours got so sick. :(
Maybe send ONP an email?

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I'm so sorry. I didn't even read the label on mine as mine do not have any sort of intolerances; I just assumed the website was up-to-date. I hate that yours got so sick. :(
Maybe send ONP an email?
Yes, I think they need to hear what a problem peas can be for some cats, as well as how crucial it is to keep their ingredient lists up to date!