Need New Comparable Food

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! My 2 - 10 month old cats started on Iams kitten food and we found that Ruby was having some serious stomach issues from leaking diarrhea, lots of farts, and every poo was diarrhea. Louie was and has been doing just fine. After thousands of dollars of tests on Ruby and everything coming back negative, they recommended feeding her Hill's Gastrointestinal Biome which has helped tremendously. We tried some wet Hill's Digestive Care wet food and that gave her leaky diarrhea so we figured their dry food was all that we could give them. However, for all of you that my or may not know, an 8lb bag of Hill's GI Biome is around $50/$52 and last well... not that long for 2 kitties :) Yes we have tried separating food for each cat since Louie technically does not need it but sometimes with us both being gone during weird times it does not work, and they also are super smart and don't eat all of their food when if we do a 1/4 of a cup for breakfast or dinner(usually 1/2 cup each). Does anyone have any other dry food we can try that is somewhat less expensive?

Attachments

aisling31

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to clarify, you started them on dry food/they’ve always been on try good except for the time you used the Hill’s I/d food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to clarify, you started them on dry food/they’ve always been on try good except for the time you used the Hill’s I/d food?
With their foster mom, they started on dry and wet food mix.... she was never home except for later and said she never noticed Ruby having digestive issues so not sure about that as she had diarrhea instantly with us... We bought the same food(Iams Kitten) and the same wet food (I forgot the brand). When we got the dry GI Biome we also got some wet Hill's Digestive Care to mix in and that was not good. Dry GI Biome only has been the holy grail.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You could always put them on scheduled feedings. That way you can feed them each different foods. My two cats eat different foods. One eats raw and the other eats canned food (because he decided he didn't like raw anymore, the little rascal).

Your little ones are old enough now that they don't need to free feed, if that's what you were doing, AND, if you happen to be home all day right now because of the pandemic, it's the perfect time to transition them to a schedule. If you need it to be early morning, late afternoon, and bedtime, that works. Whatever works with your schedule.

Here's an article on how to do it:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hway10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You could always put them on scheduled feedings. That way you can feed them each different foods. My two cats eat different foods. One eats raw and the other eats canned food (because he decided he didn't like raw anymore, the little rascal).

Your little ones are old enough now that they don't need to free feed, if that's what you were doing, AND, if you happen to be home all day right now because of the pandemic, it's the perfect time to transition them to a schedule. If you need it to be early morning, late afternoon, and bedtime, that works. Whatever works with your schedule.

Here's an article on how to do it:

Transitioning Free-fed Kibble Kitties To Timed Meals
Thank you for this! So we started scheduled feedings 2 weeks ago. We feed them in the AM and in the PM. We noticed they weren’t eating their correct amounts so we took some out even more and they still don’t eat that amount as they like to go and “snack” through out the day?? I was literally just coating the bottom of their small bowls and they wouldn’t eat it all.... if Ruby goes and snacks on Louies left overs later even if it’s 5 pieces she will have at least more farts than she already does(1 a day). Now that we have been going into work we leave the food down incase we don’t come back until later for unseen reasons. Not sure what to think?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Until you can accomplish the scheduled meals, you probably should NOT feed them different foods, unless you keep them separated during the day. If they are bonded, the stress of separation might do more harm than good.

What hours are you home? Can you shoot for THREE scheduled meals per day? One before you leave for work, one when you get home, and one at bedtime? It takes awhile for them to get used to it, As the article states, sometimes months.