Need members suggestions

meowman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about cat training? There's this guy in Key West who brings out his trained cats to do a bunch of tricks and leap through hoops of fire (though I think this is a bit much). I saw a tv documentary about him and he has many cats which he trains from kittenhood and, obviously, loves them very much.

How about the best way to introduce a new cat to an exsisting cat household?

Or, perhaps, for the complete cat lover, how to turn your household into a kitty paradise?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Cat welfare is a very important issue, though I suppose you have dealt with it before. I can put you in touch with the head of the Israeli cat welfare society. She's a very nice lady that has been doing so much for the cats here. She knows all about the laws and problems. It is a bit of an issue here right now. There's a special committee that's supposed to wor out a new law regarding cats. The cat welfare society is working very hard to make this a no-kill, NTR policy, but it's an ongoing struggle. I know that they are always on the lookout for international support, so I think she'll be happy to talk to you.

By the way, I visited the shelter yesterday and we had a little chat. she told me there's a big animal welfare convention in Connecticut this summer. She's going to be there so maybe you'll have a chance to meet.

Also, you can find some nice US legislation matters. There was this councilman (I can't remember where) that tried to pass a law that says that no one can own more than a total of 4 pets...

And, just my 2 cents on the dangerous dogs issue. I love dogs and I do think that these particular breeds you mentioned are a lot more dangerous, not because they are evil or mean by nature, but rather because the have the jaw-power to inflict serious damage. I can easily believe that golden retrievers bite more often than any other type of dog. I can also believe that pinchers and daschounds are more aggressive, but I would rather have several bites by a dacsh than one by a rotti. The breeds that were meant to be fighting dogs have immense power in their jaws. I wouldn't like them near babies and small children. Even if it's a slim chance that they will bite, that bite can be fatal. This is not to say that they should be outlawed, just that there should be better control over breeders and owners so as not to create aggressive individuals (genetically or behaviorally).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rene

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have been on a dog rescue for the past few days and was not able to visit the site - but I am here now - I have a Wheaton Terrier, a Schnauzer mix, A Peke mix, a Dobie puppy who has had all its toes fractured due to "stomping", two other puppies and an older Dobie mix who has pnuemonia, is emaciated and has a broken leg. All in a days work.

There is a no kill conference in Connecticut this year - we will be vendors - it is August 16-19th at the Hartford Civic Center. Please have whoever you know that is going to find the Helping Paws booth - it will be fun to meet people who are part of this website!

Meowman, thanks for your ideas - I have done training (I have awesome cats who do tricks) and I have done the introduction column (please visit http://www.listnow.com/helpingpaws and go to Newspaper columns, but I have not done the kitty paradise and I may do something on that. I have been writing for a few years now and it is so hard to find new topics.

Thanks everyone and I would still like ideas!