Need large STURDY cat tree for big maine coon boy.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi I have a year and a half old Maine Coon boy Cat who is now almost 18 pounds and not done growing! I am looking for something that has large perches preferably 16 x 16 a relatively small foot print 2 ft by 2 ft would be nice (it is a second cat tree to go in a bedroom) and at least 5 and a half feet tall.  Sisal covered scratch posts - a little house might be nice (if it is big enough for him to fit into).  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have a very large boy of sixteen pounds, and I'm trying to find a large sturdy tree for him. I haven't tried either of these but based on my research the "molly and friends" trees and the "hagen vesper" line are supposed to be super sturdy and have decent sized platforms. You could look into those. Also I believe they are made with real wood instead of particle board. Let me know if you find the perfect tree!

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check out Kitty Mansions. They have an extra sturdy line called Deluxe Cat Trees. Extra wide supports and built to be more stable.

If you are in Southern California you can visit their wearhouse and get a discount plus not have to pay shipping. I saved $30 by doing that but the wearhouse is literally halfway between my work and home.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, perhaps do it yourself will be rewarding. Just make sure whatever you use does not make splints. 

The tree does not have to be strong, could be very elastic as well. 

Paper tubes covered in ropes are incredible sturdy. You can find paper tubes in a carpet store, supermarket or hardware shops. Or even in some garbage bins... Usually cost nothing. Rope (sysal or hemp) is very cheap (but you will need 50 to 100 meter for a small coverage).

Have fun!

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I realize it is quite a way off, but mark your calendar to check cat trees at the Black Friday sales in November; there are some really incredible deals at that time! 

thatpetplace.com

jefferspets.com

drsfoster&smith

petsmart.com

petco.com

Likely you already know this; be sure to look for the ones which have sides on the perches.  My first cat regularly fell asleep with his head near the edge, and would slowly slide off and drop!  I'd often rush across the room to catch him, lol.  I then modified what I had and added sides.  And I made a point to only buy the ones with raised edges, after that.

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ive read somewhere about the habit of cats to fall asleep on a branch and fall down. The same article states that the cats have a reflex of gripping the tree's branches and post when falling, so falling down is harmless. But I have never saw my cat doing so.

For my curiosity: have somebody saw a cat falling from a tree (either natural or indoor) and gripping trunk while falling? Movie?. I do not expect any injury, providing the height is from 1 meter to 5 meter and the cat can grip.

Hope this remark is not considered off-topic, since it actually refers to the expected shape of a cat-tree.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone.  Greatly appreciate your feedback  I am still searching and will look up the sources that were suggested.  Wish I had time to make my own as I have a pretty good idea what I want and found some nice ideas for DIY online.   Best I could probably do along those lines is buy the materials and hire someone to put it together.  All I know is he loves to be up high!!!

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, why not hire some from a cat shelter to make your cat-tree? That would be seen as a donation. Just my2cents.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Ive read somewhere about the habit of cats to fall asleep on a branch and fall down. The same article states that the cats have a reflex of gripping the tree's branches and post when falling, so falling down is harmless. But I have never saw my cat doing so.

For my curiosity: have somebody saw a cat falling from a tree (either natural or indoor) and gripping trunk while falling? Movie?. I do not expect any injury, providing the height is from 1 meter to 5 meter and the cat can grip.

Hope this remark is not considered off-topic, since it actually refers to the expected shape of a cat-tree.  
Well, my Mr. Amber Cat did not wake up and landed on his head a few times!  Knocked himself out at least once as I rushed him in to the ER vet!

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

My cats are indoor/outdoor and have a variety of trees to pick from. Most of the trees they go up are the under 20 foot range and the branches aren't super thick. They tend to stick with trees who have enough room between branches to move on them without bumping other branches and thick enough to support their weight but not thicker than they can grab. I think half their arm reach is about the max width they are comfortable with as we have a really large tree that they only jump on sometimes but have never tried to climb. I have honestly never seen the cats sleeping on a branch though. Using a branch to get to a roof for a nap or curled up in a plant on the tree (we have some large staghorn ferns on some of the trees) but not an independent branch. I know when they are climbing down they grip it pretty hard. For some reason my boys come down face first and my girl comes down butt first. I haven't ever seen any of them fall when they are going up or down. They know most of our trees fairly well and don't seem to have problems even when trees are trimmed. I have seen them slip, accident or on purpose I am not sure, and they grab on pretty tightly in those cases using their whole body pressed into the branch or trunk to stop them. 

Last edited:

solomonar

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very interesting observations. Really useful. 

I am thinking on the instinctive vs. on-purpose sides of the cat's momentum. A sleeping falling cat shall only relay on instinct to reach the ground in an appropriate pose. 

So, for the ones buying (or doing themselves) a cat-tree, observations like yours-  @Freedom  and @Kieka  - are really gold value. 

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got this one for my two 15-lb Siberians:

Pricey, but it is very sturdy and the platforms are sized for big cats.  It only has one short sisal post and my cats don't scratch carpet, but that was easily fixed.  I got sisal rope from a hardware store and wrapped the tallest column.

2azwildcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Molly and Friends tree (sequoia) and have had it for about 8 years. It is very sturdy and still looks great. My cats are smaller and only weight about 11 lbs. They love to climb up the outside poles to the top.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get ahold of @bengalcatman  (bengalcatman).  He's a member on here and makes some very nice, heavy duty, cat scratching posts.   He might make something like that for you?

Or, build your own using 2x4's or 4x4's wrapped with sisal rope.
Google diy cat trees for other ideas.

I built a 4' tall scratching post for my little couch clawing turd (of course, he still prefers the sofa...ugh)

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, yeah - "Yay."  After he ate the recliner.

Gibbs is a gorgeous cat.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he'll try to eat anything. Chews on whatever is in front of him (like a puppy).  But, scratching furniture isn't a problem. 
Trade one bad thing for another..