Need Kitten advise

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, new cat mom here. I adopted 3 month Kitten I named Rocko had him for less than a week . Brought him home and it was perfect he really opened up to us right away. I went to the vet at 2 am due to Rocko vomiting and not eating and they gave him nausea injection which he ending up getting diarrhea as soon as we got home. In the afternoon we took him to the vet again due to still not eating and vomiting I was advised by vet he needs fluids and was prescribed metronidazole. Next day he did eat but threw up right away we have been forcing metronidazole with food in a syringe which he hates but he's been very nice to forgive me. As I am writing this he has took couple of sips of water which he hasn't in awhile.

We'll I didn't complete this post when I put he drank water. It's 3 am right now he just finished vomiting again. Any advise especially for a new cat mommy. Thank you for reading. Any tips will be grateful

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I know I should get labs and xrays but it's so expensive. I have already spent over 500 on him and in a single mother of 2.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
See if there is a low cost vet in your area. Sounds like the vet you are going to is only treating the symptoms and not trying to find out what is causing them. He might have a blockage which isn't good and can be deadly if not treated. An xray will rule that out quickly. I have two kittens who think they are dogs and will chew on all kinds of stuff you'd never think they would.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The main thing is to get him to drink plenty of water and eat. Just keep tempting him by placing bowls of water near him. You might want to go to Walmart and get some Hartz Delectable Lickables in the treat section in the stew. Cats absolutely love them. Make sure he is getting no cow's milk products, milk is notorious for giving diarrhea too. Goats milk is good, it is at Walmart too. if possible mix a little Gerbers rice human infant cereal into his food, which should firm up his stools. Since he is so new, unless you are feeding him the same thing from where you got him, it is very possible this is food-related. find out what he was eating before or change the brands you are feeding now. a too rich diet will do this like he was used to fillers in his food and now is getting all meat, and NO treats like Temptations, they make my cats sick every time they have too many!

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your advise, I will look into these products, I really appreciate your time to reply

Rocko's mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
See if there is a low cost vet in your area. Sounds like the vet you are going to is only treating the symptoms and not trying to find out what is causing them. He might have a blockage which isn't good and can be deadly if not treated. An xray will rule that out quickly. I have two kittens who think they are dogs and will chew on all kinds of stuff you'd never think they would.
I think he will need an xray our low cost vet is still quite expensive for me I did start a go fund me so hopefully I can get a little help there. Thank you for replying back to me I really appreciate it

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your local SPCA web site should have some info on low cost vet care.