Need insight on newborn kittens

Lovelylori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all!
Looking for someone to kinda guide me as I take care of my kitty and her 2 newborn kittens..as I've never dealt with newborn kittens before..

Heres a little back story:
So at the end of last summer i already had a tomcat named Juju age 1+, he was not neutered do to financial reasons at the time and the low spay nueter clinic near me didnt have an opening for months. Was up to dates on shots and an indoor only cat..

But driving home one summer night a kitten appeared in the street in front of my car, just sitting there. I wouldve hit her had I not seen her! I probably should'nt have just grabbed her up but there are so many strays in my neighborhood and a ridiculous amount of cats that end up dead in the streets, I couldnt just leave her there!! She let me pick her up and to me she seemed too skinny. I suspected she was about 7-8 weeks. But i brought her home and she took to eating kitten food and using a litterbox within the first 24 hours! And really has been great ever since. Her name is Marley 😊 and she is my baby.

A couple months passed and i knew I was cutting it close to Marleys first heat and in the least had to finally get Juju neutered, so I called his vet an set up an appointed for about a week later......She went into heat TWO days later. There was probably a good 5 hours before I realized and was able to keep them apart in different rooms until he was due to be neutered. But it was too late. I swore i thought I had more time time before her first heat but i really never knew how old she truly was...

Anywho, here I am. Juju is now 2+ months neutered and Marley had two kittens 13 days ago.
She seems to be a great momma so far given her young age. The kittens have both been gaining 10-20 grams each day and both are now already triple their birth weights of 4.5 and 4.7 oz But I'm wondering as the weeks progress how often I should be interacting with them and when to introduce them to new things such as the litter box and what to do with them as they grow and as they gain more motor skills and wont quite stay in their box. As of right now one is still really wobbly and doesnt walk so much but the other literally walks out of the box a couple times a day and can take right off. Once they're really moving around, do I change there box to something bigger? I really just need someone to kinda guide me along here lol.
Also, as I've said, one will walk right out of the box..which I think stresses Marley out.. she will follow right behind it and kind of force it not to go anywhere but I havent seen her successfully pick it up and put it back in. Rather she pins it down so it cant go anywhere and aggressively grooms/gently bites it all over???? I understand it as stress and not marleys normal self and at that point move the kitten back into the box myself. Which Marley then in turn trots in and lays down and feeds her babies as if she wasnt just a total pyscho a minute before???? Is that normal? The aggressiveness?

Sorry so long but I would appreciate it if someone could ease my troubled mind and tell me that's just a normal trait mommas have with their fragile babies. And also just kind of guide me on what should be happening each week as the babies grow older. I dont think they will stay in the box for much longer lol

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That is certainly not the optimal, but it does happens, and usually without negative consequences.
Some mommas may be rough, especielly if not experienced.

You can try to talk her into being more gentle. I presume you are trying already with this... Also, you can try with having a Feliway diffuser, and make everything else you can think of, to keep her calm and harmonic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lovelylori

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the babies names are Cheeto and Pouncey. Pouncey is the one that drives Marley insane. I will attach pictures of my kitty family 😊😊

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It doesn't take them long to be everywhere. It is also possible that the mom will want to move them someplace else. What mine have done in the past is move them closer to the ground and in some cases on the ground in the dirt. I had a perfectly good nice lined basket with warm blankets and the mom takes them and puts them in a hollow in the dirt. I moved them back and then she moved them back. I gave up but within a few days it didn't matter anyway because they were everywhere. Once they get their eyesight good and their sea legs it's off and running. So one way or another they won't be staying where they are. Usually they sort of follow mom around but not necessarily. They grow fast and they pick up speed. You won't believe how fast those little softballs can move. They also start climbing, pretty much anything. Yep, they are fun. As far as food and litter box they will learn by following mom. I got little kitten chow for my current batch, it's like the full size food but smaller pieces.So I feed the other cats and then put the kitten chow stuff on a plate for them and then I fish the kittens out of the big food dishes and plunk them down on their plate because they beat the other cats to the food and climb into the bowls and dive for food. It's pandemonium for a few minutes. Just be careful that you don't step on them. They haven't figured out how to watch out for you so you have to watch for them.