Need input - FIV+ and FIV- cats living together. Risks/Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's at least got some build up on his teeth, but can also be tooth decay. Sure wish vets would make it more affordable to get them dental help. It's usually a small fortune.

If not a crate then maybe a small area blocked off? Anything with the idea of limited area so he will use the box, then if you happen to see when he goes, lots of praise of course.
Never seems to be an easy solution to this issue. I'm sure if he realized that will allow him to be indoors at night he would happily oblige! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He likes the house and shows no fear of things. I think at some point he may have been an indoor/outdoor cat, but not for at least 4 years. I saw him once or twice three years ago but started regularly feeding him 2 years ago. His teeth don't look bad, other than he only has three incisors - one broken off (yet oddly smooth). When he goes for his microchip, I'll ask the vet to check them if she can.

He sometimes sits in the dirt/leaf box but I don't know if he is tinkling. He spent a night in the laundry room some time ago, but was scared of the HVAC unit going on and off. Three litter boxes and he used a mat in front of them to tinkle. I thought maybe he was using the floor drain by the washer because it seems damp all the time now. I hope it's him and not water seeping through the slab foundation! 63 year-old house. After the giant cow patty on the living room rug, I have neither seen nor smelled another indication of one again, other than when Chaucer uses the litter box. He has issues.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The broken tooth was done some time ago and has just worn itself down, the nerve shrinks back to a degree so hopefully it doesn't bother him.
The back teeth do get crudded up with build up and gives bad breath.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The broken tooth doesn't bother him. He's a messy eater, though, when it comes to wet food. He likes it, but he prefers the dry. I am sure his back teeth are bad and he may have decay somewhere.

Orville is not fond of Jed at all.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wanted to say that Jed used the litter box - the real one last and stayed inside. There was no option of going outside as I live where there was bad weather and tornado warnings last night. He did just fine overnight with my other cats.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my cats: Jed has been living in the house for about four days now - no more going inside and out. He loves it inside. I think at one time this cat may have had a home, perhaps with my other abandoned cat Henryetta. They both have the same type of "rougher" fur, same talkative manner, same loving and affectionate behavior toward me. Jed has been accepted, if not totally liked by the others. He especially has a time with Orville (the other FIV + cat). They chirp and trill at each other, swat at each other, and watch each other, particularly if I'm around. They all eat together now - separate dishes but at the same time.

Jed has the habit of playing by jumping on the other cats' backs. This is not popular. Orville being so big just knocked him over with a swat from a large paw. Chaucer ran off to the other side of the rug. There's been no growling and no hissing, even Henryetta who was the only who did that has stopped. Only one brief skirmish with Chaucer when Jed was going inside and outside. He seems to want to play with the other males but they aren't willing...yet.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Updating - Jed wants to go out. The litter box seems to be a challenge for him. I stepped in a large, well,...cat pat. You would have thought this cat weighed 25 pounds instead of 9.5! It was in the guest bathroom on the rug and covered by part of the rug. We've all been there. I should have turned on the light. I don't know when it was done but he has used the box before. I don't know what is up.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I need some advice. For the first time in my history of cat ownership (and I've had a number of cats in my life, including two cats who had kittens, and most of my cats have lived to a minimum of 14 years old and a maximum, so far, of 17.5 years) there is an adjustment issue with my latest rescue. It's not him. It's me. Adding the fourth cat from outside has been stressful, and boy do I feel bad about it. Someone on here will probably think I'm a terrible person, but those of you who "know" me, know I love cats and want to care for them, but I think I am on cat overload.

Any suggestions on what I can do to feel more comfortable with this latest addition? I did not want a fourth cat but Jed has health issues - FIV, and he has a lame leg. He couldn't have survived another mating season. He has a number of battle scars and nearly died last summer from a severe wound that my vet treated with antibiotics based on photos I took. He has totally bonded with me. He has been neutered, and had his shots, but he is not, according to the vet, in as good shape as my other FIV cat.

Jed is adorable, very talkative, affectionate and he wants to be a lap cat but for some reason I don't trust that he will not scratch or bite me, so I'm not bonding as much as I did with the other three. He is using his litter box but he will only use it if it is in the breakfast room/family room area. This is NOT the place I want for a permanent litter box, especially since he sometimes misses and diarrhea or poop lands on the floor. I also think he would like to be an indoor/outdoor cat because he wants out. Am I suffering from cat care burn-out?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, do you know why he's having diarrhea? That's not normal, and I wonder if he's feeling as well as he could be. Not feeling well could also be making him clingy.

Second, I think it's always an adjustment to have another creature dependent on you in your home. I think you will be able to move the litter box eventually, and that he will continue to feel more secure inside.

Why are you feeling that you can't trust him? Would you feel better if you wore a thick sweatshirt or something around him for a while while you interact to protect your arms?

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut thanks for replying. I was hesitant even mentioning my feelings about Jed. Four cats in the house seems so overwhelming. Jed is a loving, handsome, funny cat. He's giving Chaucer a run for his money. Orville won't take anything off him, but Chaucer will let him chase him. Henryetta hisses sometimes, but she does that with the other two males. They don't fight. They eat together.

As far as trusting him, I think I'm just unsure of him. I haven't felt this way about a cat before. Although Jed has never acted aggressively toward me --ever-- I simply don't want to get scratched or bitten by him because I do not think he is particularly healthy. Chaucer, who had never been aggressive, redirected aggression towards me a year or so ago after he had an encounter with another cat through the glass patio door. I ended up on antibiotics and had 7 lacerations and a couple of bites. The hematoma didn't go away for a couple of months, so perhaps that is what I'm projecting on Jed. He jumps in my lap, rubs around my legs, wants to be with me, and trust me completely. I can even rub his lame leg!

The other thing is that I may be subconsciously trying NOT to bond with him because I know he isn't especially healthy. The vet did say he was not like Orville who is in great health despite his FIV. I don't think Jed smells healthy, if that makes any sense.

I probably will try to get him to the vet for a real check-up next week if I can get him in the crate. The vet knows I have strays and semi-ferals. The vets and the staff are good about getting me in when I can get my three formers in a carrier. When Jed was there she gave him the FIV and FeLV tests, all his shots, a steroid shot and an antibiotic shot when he was neutered a few months ago, but I think he needs a bit more thorough check.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add that the smell is his breath. It's awful. I think he may have an infection, but he is eating both wet and dry food as always. I won't attempt to open his mouth and look, however. That's going to be up to the vet.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think going to the vet and finding out more information will bring you a lot of clarity. You can know what you are dealing with, and how comfortable you should be with getting attached. You may be preparing for the worst right now.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
talkingpeanut talkingpeanut You are right. I think I am preparing for the worst. I knew going in he wasn't as healthy as Orville. The smell is putting me off him as well. He's so sweet and loving. As for my long post, I needed to address my concerns in a place where people love cats and know I love them and that I take care of them. I wondered if anyone else had felt overwhelmed by a new indoor addition too. Thank you for your replies.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He may need a dental. My cat had stinky breath until we had her teeth cleaned and pulled a tooth that was coming out.

I remember some stress when you took Orville in, too. It was a big change, and I can certainly understand the anxiety of being the only thing a living creature has.

Keep us posted.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are correct about Orville. He's the reason I started this very long thread about FIV positive and negative cats living together. :) Jed's breath has been much better the past couple of days, but he really needs to see the vet. The anxiety for me is four cats in the house. I hadn't counted on that! Who could resist this cute, loving cat though, and when he became lame...oh my gosh!

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just an update. Jed and I are doing fine now. His mouth smell cleared up within a day or two. He's still underfoot and clingy but I've been letting him be a lapcat and sleep on the bed more. He's so loving, I can't believe he is a true feral. My guess is that he, like Henryetta, was abandoned by the people across the street. I know they had two cats.

chaucer

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone. I've been busy over the past year or so. Three of my books were published and I'm working on a fourth.
All my cats are doing extremely well. Jed, the newest one has been more of a challenge. He is still afraid of other people and hides even after nearly two years. His aggressive tendencies have mellowed, but he is still possessive of me and very jealous when the other cats receive attention. He has the most adorable purr. I was holding him while talking on the phone and a friend said he had a "fluffy" purr that should be recorded. Now, she likes to listen to him when we talk!

catwoman707 catwoman707 Glad to see you are back. It has been a long time! Orville is a gentle giant - still frightened of sudden movements, but he will come out when I have houseguests. His FIV is under control. Jed is also FIV+. He was not in quite as good shape as Orville, but he is thriving now.

zed xyzed zed xyzed This was the update. : )

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.